Question Backup MX service ?

Hi,

I'm currently looking for a backup mx service...

If i can't find, i wil probably get a vps and do the job myself...

Any suggestions of company that offer a backup mx service? ( i just want the backup mx service )

thanks for your help ...

If you use Zoneedit for DNS, you can use their backup MX service. In my experience it works well.

"there are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary and those who dont!"

Originally posted by JTY
    If you use Zoneedit for DNS, you can use their backup MX service. In my experience it works well.
    I' ve used them years before... for my first domain... it was pretty basic...
    But transfering all my mail to zoneedit is not a solution ... Does a way exist to use their backup mx without having to use their dns service ?

Any comments about it ? Do you use it ?

We use http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/ and have not had any problems yet. It's $7.95 per year per domain name.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Atlanta, GA and Los Angeles, CA
    Dedicated Servers, KVM, Xen & OpenVZ VPS, Co-location, R1Soft Data Backup, Shared & Reseller Hosting

Originally posted by jack finch
    Any comments about it ? Do you use it ?
    no-ip.com is very easy to use. You just need to do some reading on how to implament it if your not very savy with DNS.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

dnsmadeesay looks great... their prices are very good compared to other's i've seen here...

For the technical stuff, it's pretty easy to implement it... it's a 2seconds modifications ... Far easier than running a vps for it ...

I think i'll go for dnsmadeeasy

I just signed up yesterday for their backup mx services. Quick and easy to setup and implement. Can't beat the price. I will let everyone know how the testing goes.

svdorr, thanks... i'll wait for your review

http://www.rollernet.us

Free Backup DNS/MX/SMTP

I haven't had any problems yet. They have some nice mail logs so you can see any backed up mail (sender/subjects/timestamps).
    HostXM - Going the extra mile since 2001
    http://www.hostxm.com

HXM-Jacob,

How long have you been with them? Free services always make me nervous when I am using them for business purposes. I am not saying this is the case with them or all free service providers, but there is not usually any accountability for downtime or any service level agreements. They could be gone tomorrow and leave you hanging. At least with a paid service, you usually get an uptime or service level guarantee.

I have a colleague at another company who has been happy with: http://www.globalmessagingsolutions.com/
    John Masterson
    Former Hosting Company Owner

Originally posted by magnafix
    I have a colleague at another company who has been happy with: http://www.globalmessagingsolutions.com/
    Where does it say that GMS provides Backup MX service?
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

Originally posted by MH-Gary
    Where does it say that GMS provides Backup MX service?
    They don't call it that, but this is similar (better?):

http://www.globalmessagingsolutions....cts_sandf.html

My colleague selected them because they host their 'critical business email' on an Exchange server in their office which just has a plain ol' DSL line for connectivity. So, their MX record points at GMSI, GMSI zaps any virii, and passes the mail along to their exchange server (and their firewall accepts mail on port 25 ONLY from GMSI). If their DSL goes down, mail hangs around on the GMSI server until their DSL (or crashed Exchange server) comes back up.
    John Masterson
    Former Hosting Company Owner

svdorr,

I agree about the free part. They have an API in the works that they will begin charging users for. I believe they are opening it to everyone right now to prove they have the skills required to operate an enterprise environment (they haven't proved me wrong so far). I am currently using them for testing purposes various domains to see how reliable their systems are (thus I don't charge my customers for it or tell them about it just yet).

I don't have any experience with dnsmadeeasy's mail backup services but their dns services are top notch for the price.
    HostXM - Going the extra mile since 2001
    http://www.hostxm.com

dear all
    i have been doing some reading up on the site.
    why does a reseller need a mx backup when there are many tools available in the reseller accounts for mail handling?
    is this only a redundancy or is is more important.

hope u can point me or suggest.
    regards
    sprint

Whether a reseller *needs* a backup MX server depends on whether the reseller is prepared to take a chance that their mail server may go down and e-mail may be lost or bounce.
    An MX backup just provides an alternative so that should the primary mail server not respond, mail will be spooled and kept until the server is back up again. It avoids that unprofessional (and scary to the customer not to mention off-putting to the potential customer) instance of an e-mail bouncing back.

No site has 100% uptime all the time and a reseller account will go down at some point. It may not be for long, but it may just be long enough for mail to be lost or bounce back.

hi kamate
    thanks for the info
    from what u say, i gather that the mx is set up so that if the original mx is not reachable, then, automatically, the backup mx will take the mails. (obvious for the term backup, i just spelled it out)
    then,
    1. we give the mx control to the backup server first and then to the main domain based mx server ?
    2. if yes, will it not open up the dns to make it less secure?
    is this safe?
    kindly correct if i am mistaken.

regards
    sprint

sprint:
    The backup mx is ONLY used when the main mx is down or unreachable... The backup mx is always waiting for mail... Even if the main mx is up and perfectly running.

About the dns stuff... the mx entries are available to anyone and there's no security risk about it. That's the purpose of a dns server... I'm not very sure what you said...
    When a smtp server try to send an email to visa.com for example. It will ask the dns server for their mx.
    ( see http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup...sa.com&type=MX visa was the first example i found since i have my visa invoice on the table )

The smtp server will connect to the main mx ( the one with the lowest number )... He can't connect ? He will connect to the next one...

The dns zone of the domain will not change at all during the process... The two MX entries are always in the dns zone of the domain.

Backup mx should be in another machine ( of course ) but preferably in another datacenter ( in another class c address ).

I hope it was clear... since english isn't my native language

hi jack
    ur english is fine, its clear too;

in mx, after the 2nd dns which is on the main domain server, (visa: portal1.visa.com.) the backup mx will be listed, isnt it?
    i was wondering whether the ip (being another machine and dns) could be faked to lead to a black hole or similar.

only thought about the security issue; maybe there is no significant threat.
    thanks for ur time and info.
    regards
    sprint

Well...
    But that will happens,
    1) if the company is bad and want to steal your emails ( which will be pretty stupid ... )
    2) if they are hacked...

But your dns server could be hacked too ...

There's always a threat... but it's pretty low

hi jack
    thanks again
    was avoiding mx services since i thought i was getting into something only clever guys did ( meaning they could be careful about potential problems) and was not a standard for just anyone- though it could be a useful exercise.
    thanks for ur replies. but ... yawn.... if u reply here, my reply may take some time to come
    regards and best wishes
    sprint

Hey all...

Thanks for the info here... I'm looking for a backup MX service... I'm located in Australia so would prefer an australian based one... ideally, i like the idea of the GMSI option (they do virus scanning for you, etc)... but don't like the idea of our mail having to travel to the US and then back to get to us... does anyone know of such a service but based in Australia.

Also, i'm not sure if this is possible, but i'm after advice about it... we have 1 exchange server in melbourne currently, with a permanent connection to our Mail server (WebCentral ISP). Our MX is pointing to WebCentral, who then immediatly forward all mail to our Melbourne Exchange Server, where it is sorted into corresponding mailboxes (all located on Melb Exchange Server, but belonging to users throughout australia).

Now we want to set up another exchange server for sydney, so that syd users do not need to keep polling the melbourne server to get their emails... what would be the best way to set up this scenario?

I have thought of:
    - all mail comes to melbourne exchg server, then unwanted emails sent to sydney exchg server for sorting amoung their users

I was wondering if its possible to set up 2 MX servers, so that all mail is sent to both melbourne and sydney, and then each exchange server takes only the mail they want... then, if one server is down, the other one will store emails for it until its online again. I think this would be our ideal solution, but dont know if its possible.... anyone?

Thanks in advance,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by QuickPacket
    We use http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/ and have not had any problems yet. It's $7.95 per year per domain name.
    Looks like they had a jump in price. It's now $12.95 per domain.

LAIG