Arrow Simple idea for Info Bar under name

Hi,

The text in the infobar currently looks something like:

UserNameHere
    CUSTOM_TITLE

On many other forums I go to there is also a location label and the value of this can be set by the user CP.
    I think this would be a nice little addition to WHT so that those who want to show where they are from can do so!

The finished idea would look something like this (in my case)

effusionx1
    Analyse This

I'd really like to see what you guys think about this

Regards,

Jord
      0 Not allowed!

I like the idea.
    WHT's Own Tekster

Do i have a "Technical Support" sign on my back?
    Listen To Tekster Radio!
      0 Not allowed!

I'm guessing they don't do that because it could be abused. In other words, you could put anything in there (like advertising). Just one more thing for the mods to police!
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by cprompt
    I'm guessing they don't do that because it could be abused. In other words, you could put anything in there (like advertising). Just one more thing for the mods to police!

While that is true, it is easy to spot an abuser, and to quickly ban/edit.
      0 Not allowed!

/me would love to see it added.
    Jeremy Johnstone
    Personal Blog: http://www.jeremyjohnstone.com/blog
      0 Not allowed!

This may be nice but that is extra work for the database. While this may be a small field, it may have a large effect on performance since WHT is a busy forum.

It also may be abused, and this would add more work for the moderators to control.

The bottom line is that if someone really is interested in this information, they can put it in the user’s profile.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by cprompt
    While this may be true, it is also possible currently with the custom title which is why there are specific rules governing its content, as there would be with the location I would assume.
      0 Not allowed!

It isn't any more work for the database. For the non programmers--

Each post stores the user's ID. The script then takes that ID and pulls the corresponding user data. This makes all of the user data available at one time, so adding a new field is easy.

However, I'm under the impression that there will be no new WHT modifications until they switch to vB3, which will not happen [in any reasonable amount of time]. I've personally stopped making suggestions.. (even easy-to-implement ones, such as this)
      0 Not allowed!

Not adding a feature because it would be "extra work for the database" is a bad reason for not adding a feature IMO.
    If WHT can't expand every now and then - what can it do?

Jord
      0 Not allowed!

Actually, it's a good reason. If WHT were to add some database-heavy features, it could slow down considerably, or atleast require more database servers.

I don't see WHT going anywhere in the near future. There have been no updates since the new skin (except for HostQuote, heh) and I personally haven't seen iNet around. It's been discussed before, but WHT really needs to expand IMHO, whether or not iNet want to deal with it.
      0 Not allowed!

I like the idea. Personally, I have trouble remembering where everybody is from. And in some threads, it actually helps to know the member's location. For instance, they could be asking a question about merchant accounts. So rather than having to make the extra post asking him/her of location, I can just see it right away.

As for abuse, heck, we have sigs and custom titles already. Wouldn't be such a big deal. But if it is a big deal, why not just put a drop down menu in the Profile area? That way, no possibility of abuse. You simply select from the available choices.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials
      0 Not allowed!

I would not mind it as long as I would not be forced to pick a country/place. On other forums I refrain from making my location readily known as I don't like to be hastily judged as a person based on where I live.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ldcdc
    I would not mind it as long as I would not be forced to pick a country/place. On other forums I refrain from making my location readily known as I don't like to be hastily judged as a person based on where I live.
    I won't judge you

I'd love to see the field added.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com
      0 Not allowed!

The field would probably be empty or non-existence if you do not fill it out. At least that's how it is in vB 3. I am sure Mat can whip something together, love to see it!

Dan, on a personal note, don't worry about where you live. It's your choice, and the others should have to deal with it, or get on with their lives. It's your life, not theirs.

I'm all for it, if you can't tell
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog
      0 Not allowed!

What's wrong with the area where you live?

I believe you have said which country you are from earlier in other threads, however it didn't affect my opinion i had of you.
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
      0 Not allowed!

I can't find the threads discussing this in the past, "location" only brings up this one. It isn't a Mat job, I believe it was disabled in admin for a reason (one that escapes me at present). If you click on a member's profile, you will see where they are from if they added it
      0 Not allowed!

I believe you have said which country you are from earlier in other threads, however it didn't affect my opinion i had of you.
    I'm very glad it didn't. Also, I don't keep it that info "top secret". I just wouldn't want to wear it like a badge, that's all.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by anon-e-mouse
    I can't find the threads discussing this in the past, "location" only brings up this one. It isn't a Mat job, I believe it was disabled in admin for a reason (one that escapes me at present). If you click on a member's profile, you will see where they are from if they added it
    but that takes effort...............
      0 Not allowed!

I am in favor of this. Not a drop-down list, though. It should be a regular text entry field with a stipulation that there not be advertsing in it.
      0 Not allowed!