How do i run a trace route?

Hi All,
    I need to run a trace route to find a network lag between me in France and a server in Canada, how do i do that?

Cheers
    Iain

On Windows, open up Command Prompt and type:

tracert xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    or
    tracert asdf.com

Hi sigmaram,
    Do i have to have the ip address of the server?

Originally posted by iainw
    Hi sigmaram,
    Do i have to have the ip address of the server?
    yes.

Originally posted by E_man3
    yes.
    No. As I said before, you can also do a tracert to the domain.

Or a domain name on the server.

EDIT: Was a bit slow
    Steve

I have done a tracert and 10 out of 30 said too long to load, how does it know i am going to Canada, i think i don't understand and must be doing something wrong.
    I have a LIVE program running from Canada and it's slow, i have been told to test the network lag.

So how does my pc now to go to Canada?

Iain

Iain
    Because its clever

Basically your computer goes to your isp and says i need to be at this IP address, then your isp says arr, you need to goto another isp, thats this way, then you computer gets to the next isp who says yeah, i know that you want to goto another isp, and its goes on and on untill finally you get to the isp where your server is who says yeah, thats jsut over their, and then the server you trying to connect to says yeah, that me!

Thats an attempt to explain it simply, some people will probably rip it to pieces, but its the best i can think of off the topof my head.

Who was it that told you to do the tracert? it might be worth just sending it to them and saying there you go.

EDIT: I guess its kinda like how does a postal / zip code work... the sorting offices just keep passing it on getting closer and closer till its in the right post office, who then deliver it.
    Note to self: Add something funny!
    Search is your friend!

I have done a tracert and 10 out of 30 said too long to load, how does it know i am going to Canada, i think i don't understand and must be doing something wrong.
    I have a LIVE program running from Canada and it's slow, i have been told to test the network lag.

Iain
    What's the IP that needs tracing to (your IP probably), and we can have a look for you...

Works on the basis that your computer goes to its "default gateway", and that gateway than has routes for certain parts of the internet, it then passes your packet on to the next "route", which then gets to another router and it looks at its route table and sends your packet to the next router it should ... you get the idea...

Hi RazorBlue - Dan

all i know is it's www.visitoville.com
    i have a web stats package with them that is running very slow, it's so slow it's dragging my website down that i have the stats package attached too.
    I emailed them and they said this:
    I've had my techs look into your report, and the server has been running optimally all day. It's most likely a network lag between where you are in France and our server in Canada. If you can run a traceroute, you'll be able to pinpoint the slow spot. "

What next?
    Iain