Some question on remote desktop

Hi Guys,

I've purchased a remote access card from Dell for my server (which they claim will provide me advance features like virtual CD and etc). This will allow me to use my office computer CD-rom and Floppy as a virtual CD-rom and Floppy for my server at the DC.

My server has only normal CD-rom but my office computer is a CD-RW. Thus, can I remotely burn files from my server to my office computer CD-RW? Anyone tried that before and how it can be done? Basically, I would like to do a weekly system backup on my server remotely to my office computer CD-RW or DVD-RW.

Thanks and cheers.

That would be great if you could configure it in such a way. I'd suggest transferring backup files first instead of burning 'on the fly,' as the burn may not go so well if the data source drops in / out due to connectivity issues.

I don't know much about the details of the card, but best of luck in trying to optimize it.
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

Originally posted by CybexHost
    That would be great if you could configure it in such a way. I'd suggest transferring backup files first instead of burning 'on the fly,' as the burn may not go so well if the data source drops in / out due to connectivity issues.

I don't know much about the details of the card, but best of luck in trying to optimize it.
    Hi CybexHost, how can I copy my system folder from my server to my computer desktop remotely? might sharing with me......

Are you refering to DRAC ?...
    Giam Teck Choon
    :: Join choon.net Community today to share your tips and tricks on server issues please ::
    :: Singapore Dedicated Servers :: Singapore Virtual Private Servers :: Linux/FreeBSD Server Management ::

Originally posted by choon
    Are you refering to DRAC ?...
    hi choon, yes, thats right...... i purchase the Remote Access Card.

Originally posted by boliao
    hi choon, yes, thats right...... i purchase the Remote Access Card.
    Then think twice... if you are thinking about transfering files to your desktop and then having a local backup using DRAC... hmmm... what is your connection speed to your server? Imagine backing up several gigabtyes such as 10GB... if you have 512kpbs constantly downloading... go figure how long you need to finish downloading that 10GB files? And for your information, if you use windows and your server is Linux... then how you going to *backup* permission/ownership ... compress/tarball? In order for you to access your server with DRAC, you need to install X so that you are able to change password or continue with the installer provided by DELL... that's if I remember correctly... besides you need additional port to connect to your DRAC 'port' so that you are able to access from the internet... ...
    Giam Teck Choon
    :: Join choon.net Community today to share your tips and tricks on server issues please ::
    :: Singapore Dedicated Servers :: Singapore Virtual Private Servers :: Linux/FreeBSD Server Management ::

Originally posted by choon
    Then think twice... if you are thinking about transfering files to your desktop and then having a local backup using DRAC... hmmm... what is your connection speed to your server? Imagine backing up several gigabtyes such as 10GB... if you have 512kpbs constantly downloading... go figure how long you need to finish downloading that 10GB files? And for your information, if you use windows and your server is Linux... then how you going to *backup* permission/ownership ... compress/tarball? In order for you to access your server with DRAC, you need to install X so that you are able to change password or continue with the installer provided by DELL... that's if I remember correctly... besides you need additional port to connect to your DRAC 'port' so that you are able to access from the internet... ...
    I see, but I only want to do backup for the system only and not backup the whole data. Is that possible? basically, before I put the server on the DC, i will do and image of my server software, but if we do any updates on the server, I want to be able to backup or do an image again...........

I dont' know if I'm saying the right thing here

How you do the imaging if your server OS is linux and your desktop OS is windows? If you have spare drive in your server, then doing backups to your spare drive is more cost effective and efficient Remember system files for linux will have permission and ownership besides paths/directories which is why I asked where you are going to backup those files to? To your windows drive(s)? Then... ... please take the time to research before order the DRAC... normally DRAC is useful if you want to see those boot messages and doing troubleshooting or remote administration... as if you are in front of your server... like KVM-over-IP (note I just said like but not the same)... if you haven't read about it... head towards to:
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topi...en/ps2q02_bell
    http://whitepapers.zdnet.co.uk/0,390...000599q,00.htm
    For me, I would rather do troubleshooting in the IDC... as DRAC do not support all OSes... thus you might want to ask DELL... although getting it to work with your server with CentOS I think shouldn't be a problem though but whether all features can work that is beyond my knowledge... maybe some kind souls here are able to tell you more about it
    Giam Teck Choon