What Need About Shoutcast ?

Well, as i say i am a reseller with some experience. One friend of mine run in other place a site with some live shoutcast of voice, but no mp3 as far i know.

He askme for make a plan for his shoutcast. I have in some servers 10-30 available gb bandwidth, and as far i know the bases of the price is the number of concurrent public and the mhz of the resolutions.

I dont know if need something special for shoutcast. I have around 300 sites and if is neccesary can move the sites without much hits to the shoutcast capable server.

Any help ?

If you have only 30GB bandwidth available.

Don't even bother.

It'll eat that up in a matter of a week, or even less..

You need to look for a DEDICATED server.

Well, i check the vps in powervps, i think are
    10GB Disk Space
    150GB Monthly Transfer
    2 IP numbers

And they support shoutcast as far i understand.

I want make some experiments with VPS, what control panel and memory think i need ? I assume Cpanel, and around 100 gb month, is right ? As i say have many minor sites who can pass to these server.

Originally posted by Licantropo
    Well, i check the vps in powervps, i think are
    10GB Disk Space
    150GB Monthly Transfer
    2 IP numbers

And they support shoutcast as far i understand.

I want make some experiments with VPS, what control panel and memory think i need ? I assume Cpanel, and around 100 gb month, is right ? As i say have many minor sites who can pass to these server.
    You won't need a control panel, you'll just have to learn how to operate it through SSH.

A Control Panel will probably make it harder to operate it. If you're going to be running shoutcast on it, you definantly want NOTHING else on there, or you'll be laggin whatever else is on there, and whatever else is on there will be laggin up Shoutcast.

I think is time to make a whois and tracert and pings to the actual host of the site; i am sure they are not giving that.

ANyway, the sites without moving - statics in my case are around 90, maybe can think in some.

BTW, probably my friend is paying 50 USD, i check and update what happen.

You will also want to check there Terms of Service to make sure they allow shoutcast before signing up. Also check if they allow SSH access, although this is likely given with most VPS plans.
    • Greg Lubbelinkhof

https://www.powervps.com/support.php

in the bottom say something about shoutcast. Anyway i need talk with my friend first; as far i know he have problems currently and only 20 users with 9 khz or something similar.

You need a another server for this. Shout cast eats lots of banned with. and i think you goto be lic with another copany now to use shoutcast

i not understand the last post. I know shoutcast use many bandwidth, but my friend can pay the 50 USD aprox at month an installation price.

Anyone have more useful info about shoutcast ?

Originally posted by Licantropo
    i not understand the last post. I know shoutcast use many bandwidth, but my friend can pay the 50 USD aprox at month an installation price.

Anyone have more useful info about shoutcast ?
    If your selling it to people audio streaming can generally be over sold, but video streaming can't as it does use a lot of bandwidth and i think it's easier to get in the directory!
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

ok... my customers only plan use audio, and 50 users at times.

OK, let's do some math

Let's say that all users will be listening to the stream at 24kbps (one channel / mono) - it is voice-only afterall, and 24kbps should be very clear (you could probably get away with an even lower bitrate, as quite a few talkshows do).

This means that with 50 users tuned in, you'll be using 1.2mbps.

That's 150 kilobytes a second, or 12.3 gigs per day. So if 50 users were listening at every second of every month, you'd be using around 382 gigs of data transfer per month, not including overheads.

As far as hardware goes, shoutcast uses very little resources. If using shoutcast on linux, with the details you suggested above; you would get away with 64mb ram and a 266mhz processor, as long as nothing else was on the server.

Yes and really not much guys at the same time... you talk of a expected 100% of time.

Anyone know where seek guys who can install for me a shoutcast in a direct admin VPS ?

www.cast-control.com - shoutcast server creation system interface.

automates the process.

I take note.. anyway my friend not decide yet.

thanks

I have been doing some research on shoutcast / audio stream and the bandwidth utilization is suprising.

128 kbps - CD quality
    96 kbps - near CD quality
    64 kpbs - FM radio quality

To support 50 users on 128 kbps stream I would need 6.875 Mbit(s) of available
    concurrent bandwidth. Some server providers offer 10 Mbps Unmetered Bandwidth for $175/month. Plus the server ~ $275.

This calculation doesn't take into account off peak times and you should probably provide other bitrates for users on 56k lines.
    Datums Internet Solutions, LLC
    Systems Engineering & Managed Hosting Services
    Complex Hosting Consultants

Hi,

Shoutcast takes quite alot of bandwidth as well as CPU usage. Looking at the rates which you are expecting 150GB from powervps. I would really strongly suggest you find out the costs for bandwidth overusage as well as keep close watch on your bandwidth.

We have done sponsorships on streams which exceeded 50mbits-60mbits during peak hours. So I really suggest capping your bandwidth and keeping close watch otherwise you will have one fat bill at the end of the month.
    Psychz Networks - Enterprise Servers & Data Center Professionals
    ★24/7 On-Site Support - Premium Server Hardware
    ★Facilities: Los Angeles, CA - Dallas, TX | Tier-4 Data Centers
    ★Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Psychz DDoS-Shield™ On-Premise Mitigation

Shoutcast actually uses very very little CPU, bandwidth is the killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Licantropo
    Well, as i say i am a reseller with some experience. One friend of mine run in other place a site with some live shoutcast of voice, but no mp3 as far i know.

He askme for make a plan for his shoutcast. I have in some servers 10-30 available gb bandwidth, and as far i know the bases of the price is the number of concurrent public and the mhz of the resolutions.

I dont know if need something special for shoutcast. I have around 300 sites and if is neccesary can move the sites without much hits to the shoutcast capable server.

Any help ?
    If you have a limited amount of bandwidth like that, you'll need something like SCPanel (www.scpanel.net) that can limit the bandwidth usage of your clients to a monthly allotment as well as setting bitrate and listener limits.
    ‹‹SHAW NETWORKS›› Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans ›› 24/7/365 Live Technical Support ‹‹
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

Is the 3-4 hundred GB is enough bandwidth for shoutcast server for around 30 users ?

Obviously depends on what bitrate you stream at and if it's 24/7 or just certain times.

A constant 1mbps is around 324gb, which would allow a 32kbps stream to 30 people.