large disk space needed on server

I'm interested in having lots of movies on my website, so I need a large amount of disk space. All of the web hosting services that have offered more space than 5 GB have been ridiculously expensive. Therefore I want to run my own dedicated server so I can have hundreds of GB's for much cheaper. Does anyone know any good books or online tutorials for running a reliable dedicated server with the large disk space capacity I need? Or any cheaper web hosting solutions that offer large amounts of disk space? Thanks

? You'd have to define "ridiculously expensive".
    For instance, InMotion Hosting offers managed VPS solutions with 7.5 GB space for $50/month.
    I had an account with them some time ago and never any problems.

And: how much of your precious time would it take to manage your own server?
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

How cheap are you looking for ? Try in the "dedicated server offers" section for managed dedicated server solutions at very good prices

Agreed. By the time you factor in the cost of a learning curve, or fully managed solution you may find that a dedicated server is cost prohibitive. Additionally you will need to remember that when you start serving large video files you consume a tremendous amount of transfer. We have seen clients transfer as much as 145GB's in one day with only 9GB's of content! That's not to say they did'nt make it back in sales but it's certainly the other side of the equation that you do not wish to overlook.

Originally posted by Nadabrahma
    ? You'd have to define "ridiculously expensive".
    For instance, InMotion Hosting offers managed VPS solutions with 7.5 GB space for $50/month.
    I had an account with them some time ago and never any problems.

And: how much of your precious time would it take to manage your own server?
    • Ddos, DOS, Brute force protection • White Label Reseller Hosting. • Proactive Server Management
    • 20+ years experience! • sales@uncensored-hosting.com
    Uncensored-Hosting • X @UncensoredHost

Re: large disk space needed on server

Originally posted by Beejer
    Therefore I want to run my own dedicated server so I can have hundreds of GB's...
    Not sure how many hundreds of GB you can get on a Server, maybe 3 HD of 80gb each?

If you get a dual xeon with 2x80HD and 2,000GB transfer you are looking over $250/month, plus the work of managing or paying to management.

How much space do you really need? How much transfer? What is your budget?
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

80GB? There are 400GB drives, with a good raid card you can put many 400GB drives in one RAID5(or wow, raid0, no fault tolerance), You can have 100's of GB of space

Lets remember money is an object here .... the likelihood of them considering any raid array is slim to none.
    • Ddos, DOS, Brute force protection • White Label Reseller Hosting. • Proactive Server Management

Originally posted by JodoHost(Stephen)
    80GB? There are 400GB drives, with a good raid card you can put many 400GB drives in one RAID5(or wow, raid0, no fault tolerance), You can have 100's of GB of space
    I dont think he ment there was only 80gb drive options around, I believe he ment that for the assumed price range this person is look at, he is not going to get 400GB drives and several of them, let alone raid.

That is how I understood it.
    Kevin

thanks everybody for the replies, i think I need to clarify my situation a little more. I wouldn't mind paying for the actual hard drives, it's just that all the dedicated servers advertised with reasonable prices don't allow hard drive space past something like 5 GB (or 7.5 like that dude mentioned). I am not familiar with RAID cards, but I wouldn't mind a high setup cost. I just don't want to pay something ridiculous like $300 a month. Thanks again for all your replies, I really appreciate it.

Beejer,

I don't think you can get a Dedicated Server with just 5GB of hard drive, maybe you are talking about Semi Dedicated.

Normally you don't have to pay a high price for the set up of a dedicated, the datacenter put that together, that means the machine is basically rented, if some parts of the hardware faild the datacenter should replace them at no cost to you. The monthly price of that is normally higher than having your own server colocated.

Colocation means you pay for a space on a datacenter, the datacenter will provide the internet connection, price is less because you are providing the machine, you can put anything you can in the alowed space. Monthly price is less but set up server is higher.

Anyway if you want accurate answer post your requirements. How much space do you want? how much data transfer? what kind of processor? Operating system? control Panel? Management? etc....

Originally posted by JodoHost(Stephen)
    I was putting an example only, didn't mean there are only 80gb hard drives...
    Jorge Campos | WBpro
    Web Building Professionals
    www.wbpro.com

There are several hosts that offer 5-20GB of diskspace. Any of them are more than likely to customize a plan for you. How much space do you need is the real question? How much are you willing to pay for the service from a quality provider? Statements like "all the dedicated servers advertised with reasonable prices don't allow hard drive space past something like 5 GB (or 7.5 like that dude mentioned)." lead me to believe that you are looking at bottom of the barrel solutions on antiquated hardware or something other than a dedicated solution eg: Semi-Dedicated/VPS. Any host that has a 5GB hard drive in a dedicated server is no where you want to host your site ... trust.

huh.. you said movies.. is this legal site? or are you using illegal files?

Therefore I want to run my own dedicated server so I can have hundreds of GB's for much cheaper. Does anyone know any good books or online tutorials for running a reliable dedicated server with the large disk space capacity I need?
    It takes a lot of time and experience to become a professional when it comes to managing servers, and it's definitely not something you can achieve in a 5 hours intensive course.

it's just that all the dedicated servers advertised with reasonable prices don't allow hard drive space past something like 5 GB (or 7.5 like that dude mentioned).
    Where have you seen these offers exactly?