Demon Broadband (UK) Issues, Anybody?

I recently received a free upgrade to 2mbps from my ISP, Demon.

Ever since, the connection has been really poor. I have just spent the last hour trying to connect, doing so many times, for all of 10 seconds (not even enough time to open up demon.net and find their technical support phone number).

I have finally managed to get on for some length of time.

Is anybody else having any issues? Mainly after they received the free 2mbps upgrade?
    - Jamie Harrop

I have with Pipex, its more 1.5mbps occasionally reaching 2mb. I use a router so I rarely need to connect. I have had it drop down to 100kbps before though. Get faster speeds on my phone.
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

Speaking with a friend, it sounds like it is a BT problem. For about a year now, I have had a strange crackling noise coming through the phone, whilst I am on and off the Internet, my friend says he had the same problem, and they fixed it straight away.

I'll have to try giving BT a ring later.
    - Jamie Harrop

If you have a poor voice line then get BT to sort it out. We had this same problem recently after moving to 2Mbit, it just couldn't stay synched because of the quality of the line. BT came out and replaced a load of cables and connectors and now everything is perfect.
    Steve

I have just phoned BT, quite a pleasent young lady checked the line, there are no faults. She has given me a bucket load of tests to do to see if it is our equipment, so I'll get on with those later.
    - Jamie Harrop

Remember that they'll always say it's not their fault ...

I think I'm in safe hands with BT. I spoke with a very pleasent women who tested the line, I even tested the line myself online, and both reported no faults.

As for Demon, that's another question. I'll get around to waiting the 25 minutes on hold sometime this afternoon.
    - Jamie Harrop

<erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

Wouldn't bother speaking to Demon just yet. Wait for BT to do their stuff as the poor line is most likely the cause of your problems.
    Steve

Thanks Algorythm, I may try there later.

Steve,

BT are not doing anything to be honest. They have just given me a few tests to do myself. It is strange though, after the lady at BT did the line test, and I put the phone down, despite them saying the line is fine, the crackling has stopped, and the Internet has been fine.

I'll see how it goes for the next couple of days.
    - Jamie Harrop

If your line stays crackling BT will have to do something. Just do all the tests they ask and if it does come back they'll sort it for you.
    Steve

Don't hold too much hope.

My phone line at home has always been crackly.. we had BT out numerous times, they've tested all our phone sockets, replaces main cables etc. checked our exchange and the connections box at the end of our road and so on.

All we got from it was a STILL crackly line and a wrecked windowsill where they replaced the cord and drilled a hole right through our windowsill, because the guy messed up and couldn't get the cable back through the origional hole.

Ouch! So far, I can't knock BT's customer support, they were great on the phone, and whatever the women did, seemed to fix it, for now at least.
    - Jamie Harrop