Talking Just Installed Linux

Wow, now I see what all the fuss is about, 2 days ago windows thought putting up blue screens every 20 seconds would please me I decided to go for Fedora x86_64 so that I put my 64 bit processor to work, im still getting used to linux but so far im delighted, the way it comes with installed applications like firefox is amazing, saves lots of downloading and open office I have found to be better than ms suite. My advice to anyone using windows is too switch now, fedora was a hefty download but I would do it again.

COngrats and welcome to opensource.
    Chris, Developer/Programmer,
    Php laravel developers,
    Ruby on Rails developers,
    www.chrisranjana.com

Encountering my first problems now though some programs like xfire wont work on linux and I need it to talk to some clients

Theres always some Linux alternatives! But yes thats the big problem with software, Im sure iv seen something that allows you to run Windows applications on a Linux O/S

Why did you pick Fedora ?

try to install and run application called "wine" , it lauches some of windows applications
    If you play games try to buy application called "cedega" (as far as i remember) it supports DX9 games under linux machine (tested and working very good & fast)

Welcome to the opensource )

Adam
    Get Your wordpress blog at Blogsby! www.blogsby.com

HUrray! Welcome to the unix thingy club Game Zero..

(as im typing this, im on a Windoze machine...lol)

Thanks alot for the information Grooby , the only thing is wine doesnt support Fedora Core 4 and when I tried going with the download for 3 it gave me an error cedga looks promising though, im looking for a free alternative but at worst I will pay 3 a month and use that software.

adaml I picked fedora core as its just like redhat and is very powerful yet easy to use for a linux newbie like me

Jamie

Best of luck on your trek through this new and exciting land of enchantment ( ).
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

http://www.fryx.ch/xfire/
    There is gaim plugin that has some of the xfire functionality.

Welcome to the right side!

I have been solely using Debian for the past year or so and it's just great. I have booted into Windows (dual-boot) maybe twice, and that was just to play a game.

Being as Fedora is geared towards newbies and those who don't wish to do much behind the scenes, it can be a little tempting not to open up the shell and get down and dirty with the system, but I definitely advise you to do so! That's most of the fun with a Linux system.

I havent seen anything but the shell since I opened fedora (after a game of hangman) What I love about Fedora is the way it is able to suit newb's and pro's , still looking for an alternative to play games with though also getting used to installing things (having problems with java)

You seem exactly how I was when I first got into Linux. The novelty will eventually wear off, but with its departure will come a different sense of fun and challenge.

Yea thats what I love most, the challenge, learning shell commands and linux administration will really help in the future shoul I choose a carrer in networking, the sense of achievment when you fix something is great, (i fixed the java and for some reason I was delighted for about 15mins)

Jamie

the only thing is wine doesnt support Fedora Core 4
    Now I may have miss-understood the FC4 docs but, I thought this version contains a built in 'sandbox' into which one can install a complete winblows OS and application system.

Rather than port the applications to nix via a system like wine they are actually running on windows in a 'safe' area of the nix kernel.

I run FC3 and have downloaded FC4 but havnt got round to installing it yet so anyones experiances with it would be welcome.

Linux is great but there's piss-poor wireless support, which has kept me from fully switching over. Besides that, SuSE did a very good job--found all of the drivers right off the bat.

Yup unfortuantely I have tried Linux on my laptop, and just could not get wireless working, I think many have experienced the same ...

It is annoying when you pay 100 for an OS and it crashes all the time, fair enough Linux does from time to time too, but it's free ... and when you go to MS for support, they couldn't care less and want to CHARGE YOU for their time ... it's insane.

I still like Windows though, since XP SP2, Windows has been a pretty decent OS to use, my only pet hate which they have failed to resolve in nearly 3 years, is the fact that once you get to a certain stage you can't open any more Windows, and have to close some or apps just won't launch ... very annoying.

Just how many windows are you opening?

I've been using Windows computers for nearly 10 years, and I don't experience all these problems other people do.

Of course, when 90% of people are using Linux, the cool and secure thing to do will be to use Windows.

I tried Linspire and thought it was pretty cool though. It acted just like Windows.

I could never install windows on my computer, hard-core gamer.

I have this oldd (like 4 years old) computer that I installed linux on to fool around. If it supported my games and my 3d design programs I would use it in an instant.
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Ok I have most important things running a now (anti-virus, firewall) but I have a couple of questions,
    1) how can I stop X to update nvidia drivers it says to stop X yet everything I have tryed has failed including using google.
    2) Does anyone know of any good linux theme sites? The only ones I found had horrible themes.

Originally posted by Game-Zero
    adaml I picked fedora core as its just like redhat and is very powerful yet easy to use for a linux newbie like me
    You should try CentOS when you have had fun with Fedora and then move on too Gentoo

CentOS is pretty good and the interface with the KDE and the loading is WoW! Its simple and doesnt cram hundreds of things in your face like Windows

Originally posted by Game-Zero
    Ok I have most important things running a now (anti-virus, firewall) but I have a couple of questions,
    1) how can I stop X to update nvidia drivers it says to stop X yet everything I have tryed has failed including using google.
    2) Does anyone know of any good linux theme sites? The only ones I found had horrible themes.

1. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace if my memory serves me correctly.
    2. If you use KDE, http://kde-look.org/ is a pretty good site. I don't know any for Gnome though.

I have linux installed, but I hardly ever use it. I miss all the wizards and stuff in XP. I'm no beginner computer user. But why have to cd, ./configure, make, make install - oh no you dont have <insert really long list> installed. Try again when you do! *tries to install everything in the list* Oh no! 500 more dependacies! To be honest, I think it's utter bollocks.

For me, Windows works. Linux is good, but damn it has issues. I've tried Slack, Suse and Mandriva. I haven't had a smooth ride in any of them.

Originally posted by adaml
    You should try CentOS when you have had fun with Fedora and then move on too Gentoo

CentOS is pretty good and the interface with the KDE and the loading is WoW! Its simple and doesnt cram hundreds of things in your face like Windows
    Gentoo wont work for me an a freind who does have it working has had bugs with it so im keeping away, centos sounds good but I will probably stick with Fedora,

mouldy_punk, ctrl alt backspace takesme back to the login screen and I have to agree with the dependencies BS , It took me along time to install limewire, had to install java that wouldnt install because it neede something else and the circle went round for quite a few programs.

I use some other nix flavor on my desktop, but if CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE will not kill X you should be able to :
    ALT + CTRL + F1 ( or F2 or F3 ..) which should switch you to console and then
    /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    /etc/init.d/kdm stop
    /etc/init.d/xdm stop
    One of those 3 should stop X, i think fedora uses gdm by default but not sure.
    Then just cd to your NVIDIA.....run file and run in as "sh NVIDIA.....run"

Regaring themes - Someone already mentioned http://kde-look.org , there are http://gnome-look.org and http://themes.freshmeat.net too.

None of them worked, because none of them exist, cant ifnd anything even on the fedora forums.

try just typing
    init 3
    or
    telinit 3

One of those should work

26. Originally posted by Game-Zero
    Thanks alot for the information Grooby , the only thing is wine doesnt support Fedora Core 4 and when I tried going with the download for 3 it gave me an error cedga looks promising though, im looking for a free alternative but at worst I will pay 3 a month and use that software.

Jamie

Fedora Core 4 IS Red Hat. Red Hat is the compony who makes it. Its like windows makes 95,98,ME,200,XP. Thats kind of like saying 2000 is like windows. It Is windows.

Welcome to the linux community. I have a Duel Boot with XP/Fedora 4 Hope you enjoy your self

Glad you like Linux

After you get comfortable with Fedora I would suggest CentOS as a few others did. It makes a great server and a pretty good workstation. It's not bleeding edge like Fedora but that's good. CentOS is a rebuild of RHEL so it's stable and trustworthy.

For really bleeding edge workstation skip Fedora and go with Arch Linux(www.archlinux.org) The package management is second to none and it has a really friendly and good sized community.

With CentOS and Arch you can't go wrong.

Originally posted by psihost
    Now I may have miss-understood the FC4 docs but, I thought this version contains a built in 'sandbox' into which one can install a complete winblows OS and application system.

Rather than port the applications to nix via a system like wine they are actually running on windows in a 'safe' area of the nix kernel.

I run FC3 and have downloaded FC4 but havnt got round to installing it yet so anyones experiances with it would be welcome.
    I have heard that people have problems with fc4, still has bugs...

Originally posted by SniperDevil

Being as Fedora is geared towards newbies and those who don't wish to do much behind the scenes, it can be a little tempting not to open up the shell and get down and dirty with the system, but I definitely advise you to do so! That's most of the fun with a Linux system.
    Sorry but this statement is false and shows your grasp on linux. You can do anything you want to fedora, debian, ubuntu, gentoo, slackware, etc.

They all run the same kernel and they all use the same basic principles. I hate when people bag on fedora/redhat and say it's for "noobs" or what not just because it is popular and it is basically the only linux distrobution you find heavily used in the enterprise environment.

I have tried every distrobution that is pretty main stream ubuntu, debian, kubuntu, fedora, slackware, suse, knoppix, etc. None of them is better then the other and none is more "noobish" then the others they are just different for different people.

Fedora Core 3 would never install java or flash on opera or mozilla.

I moved to fedora 3 on another computer. I like it except flash and java