View Poll Results: Which CPU would you pick?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • AMD Sempron 2800+ 1.8GHz (1600FSB/128K)

39 79.59%
  • Intel Celeron-D 2.40GHz (533FSB/256K)

10 20.41%

Celeron-D 2.4 or AMD Sempron 2800

Which would you rather pick up if both were offered at the same price?

AMD Sempron 2800+ 1.8GHz
    OR

Intel Celeron-D 2.40GHz

1GB Memory
    80GB Sata

AMD for me

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

Sempron for sure.
    Coreix™ | your solution™ www.coreix.net - 08000226734 - ISO27001 Certified
    Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Secure Cages - Enterprise & Managed Solutions - Clustering - LoadBalancing - High Availability - Hosted Exchange 2007
    NEW Tier III London DC with power sourced from 100% renewable sources, N+N UPS, N+1 Chillers and CRAC units, Mist Fire Suppression, Biometric and Man Trap security to all data areas

What Celeron .. if any .. would you pick over the Sempron?

None... AMD's have much more power then Celerons... Even the Durons are more powerful.

Sad isn't it?

AMD here as well! They rock the boat.

AMD Sempron 2800+ 1.8GHz (1600FSB/128K)
    Um... 1600FSB? I think you meant 400FSB.

No Durons are not even close to a Celeron D. Plus I would go with the Celeron D before I went with a 128k cache Sempron. But if your talking about the 256k Sempron then It would be a toss up for me then.

I would go for Celeron because I don't trust the cheap desktop motherboards for AMD processors.

Every AMD desktop I used (include a recent one from HP) had some kind of problem - firewire, network or something. the processor is great, but the chipset sucks. Sempron is the low end AMD, which means the system is probably based on a cheap motherboard chipset (Via?), while most low end Celeron uses the 815 chipset. I would rather give up some speed for the peace of mind.

Definately the Sempron.
    Regards,
    datruesurfer

AMD for me..

You'll never go wrong with AMD..

AMD Rulez!

Originally posted by riverpast
    Sempron is the low end AMD
    And Celeron ist the low end Intel

AMD is better in every benchmark for Intel, and they cost less. The dual core opteron has a 20% performance edge over the Intel whatever it is. Intel makes expensive, low performance processors compared to AMD.

I'll always take AMD over Intel as long as it is a fair comparison.
    Funny Pics, Hot Chicks, and Cool Flicks!!!
    Get Opera, which is now ad-free and no licensing fee.

Re: Celeron-D 2.4 or AMD Sempron 2800

Originally posted by RajH
    AMD Sempron 2800+ 1.8GHz
    Sempron 2800+ is either 1600 MHz or 2000 MHz depending on Socket/Technology, so where did you get "1.8GHz" from?

If you're smart go with the semp. its obviously, look at the votes.. heh

Originally posted by riverpast
    I would go for Celeron because I don't trust the cheap desktop motherboards for AMD processors.

Every AMD desktop I used (include a recent one from HP) had some kind of problem - firewire, network or something. the processor is great, but the chipset sucks. Sempron is the low end AMD, which means the system is probably based on a cheap motherboard chipset (Via?), while most low end Celeron uses the 815 chipset. I would rather give up some speed for the peace of mind.
    HP uses crappy components it's no wonder the motherboard sucked. Long as you buy quality support components ie motherboard video card hard drive RAM you can have a nice system. It's when you start cheaping out on important factors that you get bottle necks.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

All together now, "Don't buy prefab $300 desktops from HP, Dell, or any other megacorp."

And I'd for sure go with the AMD Semperon over the Celeron D. For you numbers enthusiasts, here's a good rundown: Tom's Hardware Mega-CPU roundup.

Originally posted by pixelized
    HP uses crappy components it's no wonder the motherboard sucked. Long as you buy quality support components ie motherboard video card hard drive RAM you can have a nice system. It's when you start cheaping out on important factors that you get bottle necks.
    Please pay attention to OP's question. He did not ask "which processor should I use to build my own system?" He asked which one to pick given the same price. Since we are in dedicated server forum, it means he has the option to rent either a Celeron or Sempron. I doubt he can get detailed information on the chipset/motherboard from the vendor.

And if doesn't matter which vendor it is from. If it uses Via chipset, I would not use it for a server.

FYI, the socket 754 paris core sempron 3100+ is 1.8ghz

Originally posted by TulipSystems
    FYI, the socket 754 paris core sempron 3100+ is 1.8ghz

Sorry, but I wonder what does this has to do...

Originally posted by Apolo

Sorry, but I wonder what does this has to do...
    the question was where the OP came up with 1.8ghz, I was just saying that it's the sempron 3100+ that is 1.8ghz and not the 2800+

Celeron 2.4 hands down.
    Adam - AQORN
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member, Corporate Sponsor and AI Research Team
    Our Clients: Facebook | Red Hat | Starbucks | AT&T | HPE | NVIDIA | CrowdStrike | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu

Originally posted by MrManager
    Celeron 2.4 hands down.

Your reason why?

Originally posted by TulipSystems
    the question was where the OP came up with 1.8ghz, I was just saying that it's the sempron 3100+ that is 1.8ghz and not the 2800+
    Oh, there you go then...

Edit: I was expecting an answer like that from OP, hence my question regarding your post.
    Last edited by Apolo; 07-29-2005 at 06:11 PM.

Originally posted by RajH
    Your reason why?
    I have always had a much more reliable experience with Intel chips. They tend to run cooler which means you have less chance for heat issues affecting server performance.

In 1U environments, cooling is always a concern for me and when you have a choice between a hot chip and a cooler one, the benefits extend beyond benchmark performance where the lids are typically off the case.

Plus, we have not had a CPU failure yet so that kind of reliability plays into things as well.
    Adam - AQORN
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member, Corporate Sponsor and AI Research Team
    Our Clients: Facebook | Red Hat | Starbucks | AT&T | HPE | NVIDIA | CrowdStrike | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu

Depends a lot on which motherboard you use as well. With the Celeron, you can get a motherboard that supports dual channel RAM which may give you better performance in terms of memory bandwidth. The Sempron uses the Socket 754 boards which do not support dual channel RAM.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Ashburn, VA, Los Angeles, CA, Chicago, IL, and Manchester, UK
    Since 2003 - 20+ Years! Dedicated Servers, Co-location, DDoS Filtering, Data Backup & More!