Strange Root SSH Problem

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has seen anything like this before, and has a fix for it ...

Sites were loading slowly, so I decided to log in to shell to see what was going on. When I try to log in I constantly get access denied as root, which is very strange ... never happened before.

First I thought hmm compromised box, but the same root password works for WHM??? I could get in do anything I want, I restarted OpenSSH from WHM, changed the root pass, then rebooted, same problem still can't get in...?

Any ideas folks?

Dan

Your box probably is compromised. SSHd (OpenSSH) has probably been replaced with a version which sniffs your passwords. Of course I cannot be completely sure this is your issue as I'm not actually looking at your box. I would suggest, however, if you can get into SSH in the future to run Rootkit Hunter and Chkrootkit.
    Justin Cassidy, Accentra Inc.
    www.faxmicro.com :: Your Internet Fax Solution
    www.tollfreeexpress.com :: Hosted PBX Solutions

Dan, if you create a shell user (not root), can you login your box by that user?

Maybe accidently changed/updated "permit root login" in sshd_config to "no" ?
    SERVERAXIS The arms dealer for startups
    SSD VPS and HDD Storage VPS
    Bare Metal Dedicated Servers
    Chicago - Miami

Originally posted by gate2vn
    Dan, if you create a shell user (not root), can you login your box by that user?
    Nope... getting access denied to everything on the SSH side now.

maybe need your techs in DC take a look in SSH config, disable

AllowUsers root
    AllowUsers yourwheelgroupusername

at the end of config file, then restart SSH service and try again

Could be an ssh attack, brute force password type, that floods ssh and does not allow any other connections. I've seen this a few times.

- John C.

are you able to read /var/log/messages or /var/log/secure ?
    Chicago - Miami

Originally posted by ServerDave
    are you able to read /var/log/messages or /var/log/secure ?
    If he can't login, how's he supposed to read that?
    Dan, try to reinstall the opensssh packages from WHM. This should replace the sshd binary which is probably hacked.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Is this a 64bit box? There is a problem that is poping up randomly where the rpms from a wrong branch (i386) is getting installed causing openssh auth with pam from working. (centos 3.4 i have seen it on several times). I find it amusing most people go stright for the compromised solution, theres several reasons why this can happen.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Are you getting a 'denied' message or is it timing out? I have seen similar problems with broken /etc/resolv.conf entries or a dead resolver. The DNS lookup will timeout during the reverse lookup and drop your connection.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Originally posted by linux-tech
    If he can't login, how's he supposed to read that?
    Dan, try to reinstall the opensssh packages from WHM. This should replace the sshd binary which is probably hacked.
    You never know, ftp maybe? rsync? script? I do not know what other processes there are running on that box... but obviously he won't be able to read them with ssh or sftp. Being able to read the logs might shed some light on the cause of the problem.
    Chicago - Miami

Originally posted by thelinuxguy
    Is this a 64bit box? There is a problem that is poping up randomly where the rpms from a wrong branch (i386) is getting installed causing openssh auth with pam from working. (centos 3.4 i have seen it on several times). I find it amusing most people go stright for the compromised solution, theres several reasons why this can happen.
    Sounds exactly like it, im on 3.4 x64.