Domain Name Propagation vs. IP Address

Ok I am having a bit of a tiff with my hosting company. I asked them to install a subdomain which they did. However after waiting a day for the DNS to propagate, the site changed to a weird "Apache welcome" screen. That's fine, except nothing I do changes the content of the site.

Now as I understand it, I should be able to go directly to the IP address of my site without waiting for it to propagate, right? So if they tell me an IP address for my subdomain and I go there and it's clearly not right, then the problem is on their end?

I am pretty new to this but I keep sending them emails and they keep telling me to wait for it to propagate. But that is silly if IP addresses do not propagate!

Just wanted to double check with you knowledgeable folks before I called them again and made a fool of myself.

PS - Also, they have given me different IP addresses for my domain and my subdomain - is that usual?

Thats not usual, and I think they mistakenly put your subdomain to another server if you have not asked for it. Give us the URL let us check.
    http://www.exploitx.com
    Its all about exploits and latest bugs!

My URL is www.forbeans.com

My subdomain is gifts.forbeans.com

Have a look at your DNS report for forbeans.com
    http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsre...n=forbeans.com
    and then a DNS lookup for gifts.forbeans.com
    http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup...ans.com&type=A
    Usually you need a dedicated IP to run SSL so I guess gifts.forbeans.com is meant to be your shopping cart which is running SSL thats why you are on a different IP but its not on a different server !
    Hope that helped a little
    █ AUSWEB Web Hosting
    VPS Hosting with Virtuozzo or OpenVZ
    Dedicated Servers DELL servers running Windows or Linux

Wait wait wait...

I am on shared webhosting.. I don't have a dedicated server. And it's not meant to be SSL, just a subdomain! I just liked the name better than the generic www.forbeans.com.

So... is this bad?

thats not bad at all, i was just presuming and thinking out load
    in the main domains DNS report you have www.forbeans.com. A 66.235.212.153 [TTL=3600] [US]

and in the other the IP seems the same !
    gifts.forbeans.com. A IN 3600 66.235.215.153

I guess seeing the apache server welcome page means your subdomain is pointing to the main server IP.
    Have you contacted the host regarding this ?
    they might need to edit there httpd.conf file
    █ AUSWEB Web Hosting

Hm well they are similar but the above IPs are slightly different. The 3rd set of numbers varies. One is 212 and one is 215.

And in my last email I did very specifically tell them I saw a very handsome but ultimately unhelpful Apache Welcome page and they told me (ad nauseum) "Wait for it to propagate. It can take up to 72 hours."

Again, NOT the case if I'm accessing it via IP, right?

PS - I should mention that before the Apache welcome page, but after the first nameserver propagation, gifts.forbeans.com was inexplicably pointing to a French political forum (also hosted by the same company). After I mentioned this and waited for a second propagation, it turned into the Apache Welcome page of Doom.
    Last edited by sapling; 07-26-2005 at 07:10 PM.

yeah , you are right , the 3rd set is different !
    I guess they mistyped the IP when the created the subdomain
    █ AUSWEB Web Hosting

I'm not insane! Thank you!

I have now sent them the two IPS twice and both times they responded and said it was correct (and ignored my question of if they were supposed to be different).

I guess they do look pretty similar, so this time I am very explicitly going to explain how they are different, perhaps with bold and red shading to aid the emphasis on the 3rd set.

When I try to FTP into the IP address for gifts.forbeans.com I get some random guy's website too..

thats too funny, i guess you get what you pay for
    Good luck with sorting it out with those guys !
    █ AUSWEB Web Hosting

Hmm I think 66.235.215.153 just went down.. I can't load it anyway. Can anyone else?

I hope they're not restarting the server again for my sake.. that's what they told me they did last time. That's great, except it's the wrong server.

If so it's so sad.. I just took out www.forum-politique.org (French Political Forum) and www.justinbrandon.com (random guy's website) in one fell swoop.

Oh no.. my IP is down now too.
    *bites nails*

Could it be?? Will my subdomain work when it comes back? Or did I crash their servers with my support ticket spam?

Now my website says ominous things like "if you were expecting a website, come back tomorrow."

Why do I feel like I've been poking a sleeping bear with a stick all day and I finally woke it up?
    Last edited by sapling; 07-26-2005 at 07:46 PM.

The site is probably installed correctly on the right server, but the zones are possibly set wrong. You can see your subdomain at http://www.forbeans.com/gifts/

Yes, I have seen it there, but I would really like the subdomain to work. :/

And my IP address has stopped corresponding to my domain name, and it fact no longer appears to exist.. soooo.. I don't know what's going on.

(I can see the email now..
    Dear Customer,
    You have been removed from our hosting plan as you are excessively annoying.
    If you would like to purchase a more expensive plan, please review the number of customer service tickets you are allowed per day in each one.
    We will send you a full refund if you simply never contact us again.

Yours cordially,
    Webhost
    )

Originally posted by sapling
    [B]Hmm I think 66.235.215.153 just went down.. I can't load it anyway. Can anyone else?
    I can't load it, seems to be down...

66.235.212.153 looks fine, at least from my location.

Greettings!!
    Andrés Chávez
    All in Hosting - Web hosting in spanish
    *Shared hosting - Reseller plans - Managed VPS*

deleted. I misunderstood a previous email.

66.235.212.153 isn't fine because the site usually says "Replace this index.html with your own!" and now it says something else, and none of my files are there.

66.235.212.153 isn't fine because the site usually says "Replace this index.html with your own!" and now it says something else, and none of my files are there.
    Sorry sapling, I misunderstood your last post. I thought you wanted to know if 66.235.212.153 was up, now I see that's not the only problem.

Only for you to know, this is what I'm getting from 66.235.212.153 :

"Welcome to vDeck
    This is the default page for a vDeck hosting server. If you were expecting to see your website, come back tomorrow. If you still see this message then, send an email to support.
    "

Greettings!
    Andrés Chávez
    All in Hosting - Web hosting in spanish
    *Shared hosting - Reseller plans - Managed VPS*

Well I just got an email telling me the IP for the subdomain was fixed (at least they admit there was a problem!) but now they are both down.

66.235.212.153 loads to a generic page, but not of my files are in the subdirectories

66.235.215.153 doesn't load at all.

And guess what they tell me..

"It will take 12 hours to update."

How does an IP address take 12 hours to update?!

First Godaddy who drove me INSANE, and now this. I seem to have really terrible luck with webhosts.

To sum up: The point I'm at now is, I can log into my control panel and edit to my heart's content, but none of the changes I make show up at the ip address of my site and it's just a matter of time till the DNS updates. And I feel like contacting support again is just a joke. They're just going to tell me to wait for it to propagate.
    Last edited by sapling; 07-26-2005 at 09:44 PM.

Only a domain needs time to propagate , if 66.235.212.153 is a dedicated ip you should see your site.
    If you are on cPanel and 66.235.212.153 is a shared IP then you could access your site with 66.235.212.153/~yourusername
    So what hosting control panel do you have ?
    █ AUSWEB Web Hosting

I love you!

http://st53.startlogic.com/~forbeans/ works!!

There is hope!

There is life!!

My files are not disappeared into the ether!!!

Ok.. I understand a bit better now - a shared server may take time to update the IP.. ok, makes sense.

And I think the control center is vDeck..?

My webhost's life would be so much easier if they would take two minutes to provide me a basic explanation of IP address updating on shared and dedicated servers. Was it really that hard?

Now.. I wait.

Honestly, sitting around waiting on servers to propagate, I have read 890 pages of a small-print tradesize paperback. This is the 6th day I've been waiting, fiddling with screwy host settings, trading inane support ticket banter.. Once I get the dang thing UP, I might spontaneously combust if it goes down again.

Must not hit "Reload" on gifts.forbeans.com every 5 minutes.. must be patient. *semi-hysterical giggle*
    Last edited by sapling; 07-26-2005 at 10:06 PM.

Talking

hehe , glad its working for you
    █ AUSWEB Web Hosting

It was up! It was up for a glorious, glorious 5 hours!

And now the site just went down again...
    Sigh..

Maybe I'll take a nap..