Unhappy DedicatedNow / Fortress ITX / Pwebtech - Can we say MESS?

I had my reservations, two weeks ago when ordering a closeout server from these guys (same company, changing names to hide previous faults apparently), but the mess that was about to be in play, I couldn't even begin to fathom, seriously.

In one of my (rare) early morning moments, I ordered a server from these guys. Because of specific needs, I ordered the CPanel license, and an extra 512m of ram. I should have known, given their history here that this would be a nightmare.

Around midnight, I get my welcome letter and logged in. So far, so good, at least the ip is up, or was it.

I started the typical stuff (yum updating, and whatnot), and that's when I noticed I was barely pulling 10kb/s no matter WHAT mirror I chose. After having the same results with my own personal server, I knew something was definitely wrong. I opened up a support ticket, at 3am. Did this get answered in a timely fashion? No, I got to wait until the next business day to get a response. Yay! Professionality at it's best.

Meanwhile (while waiting for the ticket to be updated), I tried to access CPanel. To my surprise, not installed. Of course, I wasn't too terribly surprised. I had to go through and install it myself or wait. Now, since I would rather do this myself, anyways, so it'd be setup properly, I started the setup process.

Part way through the setup process, I noticed that it was dying, and the load was just spiking like mad. In an attempt to figure this out, I took a look at the server specs. Much to my surprise, again, another screw up. No extra memory. So, I add that to the list of things to be addressed.

Because I wanted to make SURE that the APC was working (they advertise free apc port with ALL servers), as it was a key factor in the equation (this server has to be up and accessible 24/7, and waiting for a tech to get the idea to check tickets isn't an option). Surprise, surprise, it's not working. It doesn't even recognize my server! Again, noted in the ticket. I've been promised 3 different dates it'd be hit (that day, the next day, 3 days, today (we'll see about that one)), and so far none of them have been hit. Needless to say, advertising something, and not delivering it is called fraud, and false advertisement. Again, not surprising given the history with this company here.

Ok, so, I get CPanel installed, they fix their hardware issue (the network problem was a duplex issue on my server), and install the extra ram. Great, all that, and what do I find? licenses aren't on the server. Whoever setup this server didn't license this with rvskin OR fantastico. Again, a minor setback, but still, given the plethora of problems so far, I'd say pretty annoying.

Most of these problems are taken care of, and were taken care of within 2 weeks. However, the most important one, two weeks later is STILL not taken care of. That'd be the APC issue.

With soooo very much wrong, was anything right? Well, no. Honestly, if I hadn't been hard up for a server at the time for a sql intense app, I would have just cancelled right there, called my bank and got the refund I was owed. Unfortunately, I was in dire need of this server. I'm STILL in dire need of the APC they promised, yet still won't deliver, but, for now, after a little doctoring, the server seems just fine.

This kind of lackluster attitude by companies is just appalling though. Treating the customer like they don't matter, not doing what they're supposed to be doing BEFORE the server gets delivered, NOT checking the server out BEFORE the server gets delivered. What, is customer service dead here?

Thankfully, that nightmare is over with, we'll see how the network performs over the next few months.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

From my experience with DedicatedNow, communication within their company needs to be greatly improved. Unlike other providers, when I had issues with tickets not being dealt with, giving them a call didn't help the matter.

Sorry to hear what you've been through, linux-tech.

Keep us posted.

Well I've just done a reboot request with them, and the box was up in 4 minutes which is pretty impressive IMO.

I have to say you do seem to have had a bad experience, I've had a number of boxes fully deployed in under 24 hours before, and fully working, all licensed, etc.

AFAIK the APC thing is a "future project", and the last I heard it's going to take a month or two...

Unfortunately that network issue is pretty common inside their operation, infact I've seen it on every single box I've got there ... "mii-tool -r" normally fixes it.

Yeah DedicatedNOW's communication is really poor every month I've had to remind them to generate an invoice for me. If I didn't ask them I probably would never have to pay for anything.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

AFAIK the APC thing is a "future project", and the last I heard it's going to take a month or two...
    NO, it's been working since DMS was put in, or at least on most servers. The problem is that these people don't know what the hell they're doing. Of course, they still have an hour to go, but it looks like THIS deadline's going to be missed too.

hopefully this is an issolated incident , sorry to hear about your trouble.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Hi linux-tech,

It looks like you have had bad luck from this company right from the beginning. As you said before you would of left if you did not need that server, however i would still recommend you do leave and find another dedicated server provider that will not have as many consecutive communication problems as you have with this company.

My experience with DN has been superb. I do have to admit, their communications can be improved but when I've had any serious issues with my box, they responsed very quickly (less than 5 minutes). (Less serious issues like questions took a lot longer to be answered.)

One of the times where support saved the day was when somehow my box got fubar'ed beyond repair. I submitted a ticket and within 5 minutes or so, I got a response saying they're looking into it. I was pretty sure I needed to reinstall the OS, and at 3am in the morning, I gave up and went to bed. Thoughout the night, the tech that was working on my server updated the ticket several times with more info, and when I finally checked back in the morning, he had took the privilege of reinstalling the os+plesk, and remounted my old drive so I can retrieve my data. This may sound simple and may be a "normal everyday task" that datacenters would do for clients. But I'm sure there are plenty of companies out there who at least would not even try to fix and make you do a reinstall from the start. I'm sure theres others who will even make you pay for the reinstall.

Being that their prices are fairly low compared to other places, I wouldn't expect them to have top notch service. And they don't but the support they provide certainly is much than I would expect for the measly amount I pay for my box.

linux-tech, it could be that you were just unlucky this time. (Or maybe it was me that has been lucky all along? )

Being that their prices are fairly low compared to other places, I wouldn't expect them to have top notch service.
    I don't expect "top notch" service, I expect the service(s) I paid for, including APC/remote reboot.
    I don't mind having to do the small stuff like installing cpanel myself, it's a no brainer, and can be done easily enough. It's when I have to fight them to get a simple thing like APC installed, or when I have to fight through the networks for hours just downloading things, because someone didn't burn the server in properly that I get upset.

Originally posted by RazorBlue - Dan
    Unfortunately that network issue is pretty common inside their operation, infact I've seen it on every single box I've got there ... "mii-tool -r" normally fixes it.
    Come to think of it, my closeout server also had a network issue that took 3 days to be resolved (looks like the same problem). If this is a known and recurring problem, why don't they do anything about it?

Hi,
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
    Firstly i want to order a box with DN but can not contact them,is it bad for me as their potential customer?No supply for demand(funny in today environment huh?)
    Then I found out that interserver.net have promotions on their 20MBps box,OMG,the price is unbelievable.I ordered and received it within 24hr.So lucky haha.
    I am not happy with their support also in the first place because i like live support and when i am online,they are offline(i am from Singapore it is easy to understand).
    But now i am quite happy as when i submit ticket,they answer it and problems were solved if i recall correctly.
    If you want a good tech support,go for Sprintserve.net,i must say they are skilled and can solve all problems i had(I am a troublesome and lazy person )
    Choose a dedicated server provider is not simple,please check it by yourself and decide.
    Good luck

Originally posted by Joshua
    Come to think of it, my closeout server also had a network issue that took 3 days to be resolved (looks like the same problem). If this is a known and recurring problem, why don't they do anything about it?
    That's a good question, all that actually needs setting is the port speed, two seconds job, which should really be done at installation time. It does make you think how much time they must waste installing stuff at rediculous speeds ...

It's actually a negotiation issue with the Cisco's, so they are partly to blame, but for such a quick fix I really don't see why it's not being done ...

I was about to signup for a closeout server, should I???

I've found their network and hardware to be really quite reliable. But I'm with a reseller of theirs, so I get the added benefiet of pretty good support (most stuff is answered/fixed in 15-30 minutes or so).

I had thought about getting a server from them direct, just to compare the service, but I'm thinking if I get another box there it'll be through the same reseller.

I am pretty frustrated with them as well. I had five working reboot ports at one time. Now none of them work. I have a ticket on that topic that has been open for 6 months with no resolution. Other than that one issue, I have had no other problems, but I would like to have the reboot ports working.
    Marty Hoskins
    http://tlcwe.com

It would be great to read what DedicatedNow has to say about your issues...

Originally posted by angst7
    I've found their network and hardware to be really quite reliable. But I'm with a reseller of theirs, so I get the added benefiet of pretty good support (most stuff is answered/fixed in 15-30 minutes or so).

I had thought about getting a server from them direct, just to compare the service, but I'm thinking if I get another box there it'll be through the same reseller.
    Jeez... I hope so

Originally posted by vnsg
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
    Firstly i want to order a box with DN but can not contact them,is it bad for me as their potential customer?No supply for demand(funny in today environment huh?)
    Then I found out that interserver.net have promotions on their 20MBps box,OMG,the price is unbelievable.I ordered and received it within 24hr.So lucky haha.
    I am not happy with their support also in the first place because i like live support and when i am online,they are offline(i am from Singapore it is easy to understand).
    But now i am quite happy as when i submit ticket,they answer it and problems were solved if i recall correctly.
    When we decided to get an NJ server for our reseller business, we decided on InterServer over DedicatedNow and WebHostPlus (thankfully, WHP has turned into an absolute mess) due to their server management plan and good prices. Their techs are dedicated and will work their hardest to make sure everything is running how you want it to .

I've had varying degrees of success with DedNow. I've been using them since 2003, and I'd say overall, their support is "pretty decent". When my server got attacked by some Brazillian religious fanatics, they were pretty good about getting things up and running within 24 hours. At times though, their support guys can be vauge and downright rude saying things like "well, you can do that yourself", although it's never phrased quite like that, nor is it often.

If I had to give a numerical rating to DN, I'd say 8/10.

Originally posted by Joshua
    Just disable auto-negotation, and it'll fix the problem.

wow... I can't believe the CEO Jay Silver (sp?) hasn't replied to this, when he browses the forums (at least I have seen him posting a few times here).

Seems like a pretty bad situation, and if the issue has been "open for six months" i would have definetely leave them.
    ^_^

There's really no need to wait 6 months here. False advertisement is just that, false advertisement. I've already told them that I'll be taking this issue up with my bank if it's not resolved promptly. Unfortunately, that'll mean I have to find another server, but I will gladly do that if it means getting what I paid for here.

It's sad that something like this has to take place, that the issues here have basically been ignored by the current customers of this company. This is no strange thing to happen, this is a constant problem, and people have been wanting to know about this crap for months. Yet another promise made, yet, again not delivered. In their forums , on Feb 17, Jay posted
    Remote Reboot Ports:
    We are going to be retrofitting all of DedicatedNOW with Remote Reboot ports, that will be accesible via DMS. We expect to have them all delivered in the next 3-4 weeks as they are made to order and not a stock item. This will incur server downtime. It will be done in blocks of 18 servers at at ime.
    We can see just how quickly that happened, 3-4 weeks turned into 3-4 months, and still nothing. It's amazing that this company still exists, given the absolutely poor support.

Tried calling 2x today. Did I get a response? not a one. Will try once more before contacting my bank.

Originally posted by linux-tech
    It's sad that something like this has to take place, that the issues here have basically been ignored by the current customers of this company. This is no strange thing to happen, this is a constant problem, and people have been wanting to know about this crap for months.
    I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a bad experience at DN. But things aren't as bad as you say. Sure, DN is falsely advertising things they do not have yet - eg, remote reboot ports. For example, I believe Marty here has a ticket open for a remote reboot port to be working. And that ticket has been open for 6 months or more. I have to admit, thats just plain unacceptable for an issue to be open that long. But have you realized this - Marty still seems to be a client of DN. Can you think of why? The most likely reason is the fact that its just an extra and not needed for the operation of his box(es). If he really needed a reboot, all he needs to do is to open a ticket and his box will be rebooted within 10 minutes. Obviously, 10 minutes is just a ball park figure, but from what I've seen, thats usually how long it takes for a reboot. Indeed, 10 minutes can be too long for those who needs their boxes to be up as much as possible, so a remote reboot is required and this seems to be the case for you.

For most existing clients of DN, who never had remote reboot ports in the first place, I'm sure the fact that they don't work yet doesn't matter. Its simply just an extra free service they're getting for their box. At least, thats how I see it.

Nonetheless, the reason you held on to the server was because you needed for a critical SQL app - yet, you mentioned you ordered a closeout server. Now, why would you or anyone order one of those servers for a mission critical system? These closeout servers are their cheap value series of servers - they're cheap because they run old hardware, can't do much and so they don't cost much. With that said, if you compare the prices of these servers to other companies, they're much cheaper. Can your really expect to receive the same top notch services when you're only paying so little? I don't know exactly what server did you order, but if I were you and if it was the closeout series, I'd cut DN some slack. After all, if it really was such a n important server, I would spend the cash to get a reliable server rather than try to save.

Now, why would you or anyone order one of those servers for a mission critical system? These closeout servers are their cheap value series of servers
    Because, perhaps I knew what I was needing and it fit the bill exactly? Before you criticize for ordering that server, perhaps you should actually understand the reasoning for doing so. I got a closeout server which would run my application perfectly, and it has, to date. I picked the server up because it was affordable, it advertised remote reboot (obviously falsely), and it met my specifications.
    Spending MORE money doesn't mean you're going to get MORE support. Nor does it mean you'll get less. Had I spent more money here, I would have received the same amount of poor support that I have from this company so far, and the advertisement still would be false.
    I'd cut DN some slack
    When I order something, I expect it delivered, ALL of what I order. No questions asked, no assembly required (unless the item states it), no problems whatsoever. And when, I go for SUPPORT on something, I expect fully and wholeheartedly to GET support on something. I doin't care whether it's a cheeseburger at McDonalds, a book, a CPU or anything else.

It's pretty simple here. I'm not asking for perfection, I'm simply asking for what I paid for, and the individuals behind DN are refusing this. No questions asked, they're simply refusing to provide it. They've had more than ample time to do so, I've yet to withhold payment from them, yet they , as a company have refused to provide services paid for. That is fraud, no way around it.

Whether I paid for an item on sale, or not, the item is still expected to be working and functioning as advertised. The same goes with a server.

Just because you may be used to paying for something and not actually getting it doesn't mean that the rest of the world should be. Hell, I bust my tail end for the funds I put out for whatever I put them out for, and yes, I expect 100% of what is advertised. Not 90, not 80, not 99, but 100%. Once that's provided, I pay my bills, faithfully, and rarely (if ever) disturb a company,b ut when that's NOT provided, then I (and every other consumer out there) have every right to be upset and take matters to the next level.

Well, I can't say much to that. I haven't been in such a situation with DN yet...and hopefully will never be. But I understand the situation you're in and you do make very good points. I'd prob feel the same if I were you. Honestly, I just don't happen to think DN is as bad as you say and thus would like to give them some credit back. They've done very well for me the past year or so. Good luck to you linux-tech.

Originally posted by Francisco
    wow... I can't believe the CEO Jay Silver (sp?) hasn't replied to this, when he browses the forums (at least I have seen him posting a few times here).

Seems like a pretty bad situation, and if the issue has been "open for six months" i would have definetely leave them.
    I'm assuming he knows fine well that this thread is here ... and is just avoiding it because he knows his company have messed up on this one.

I'm assuming he knows fine well that this thread is here ... and is just avoiding it because he knows his company have messed up on this one.
    And or missed this, I wouldn't make assumptions this quickly. We will see what he says. However, I totally agree with you Linux-tech, you should get what you paid for, however, if it was given to you later, you should get some credit onto your bill. It seems to me that, most errors come from the user itself and not the company. Now that I can say that because I have customers misconfigure their servers and blame our network. Not to attack you or anything. As for the APC, Id liket to see the link for advertisement. I do Not see ANYWHERE, stating on their website that it includes an APC port. Especially on the Cheap Closeout servers. If I were you, most companies have Some way of contacting them, by phone, aim, email, I would talk along the way of actually getting the server, and make sure everything is perfect before you stop talking to them. Like, I did with some dedicated hoster, I communicated with them the whole way through, like SigmaServers, Steadfastnetworks, etc. If you have that much problems, then I would say to call them and Iron out the bugs. I garentee you don't get anywhere with the Bank, because its not FULLY covered by the bank, and there isn't much they can do. Now, that you have had their server for a couple weeks, you said it wasn't bad. So I have 2 suggestions for Dedicated Now, 1 Actually have techs fulfill the order, and 2 talk with the customers all the way through, It just makes it smoother.

Originally posted by NitOxYs
    It seems to me that, most errors come from the user itself and not the company. Now that I can say that because I have customers misconfigure their servers and blame our network.
    LTN is pretty respected around here as a good admin, I don't think it's fair to say that he's the one at fault here ... at all. Yes there were issues with a network port, but if DN techs had spent 10 seconds to set the port speed manually, all this trouble would have been saved.

As for the APC, Id liket to see the link for advertisement. I do Not see ANYWHERE, stating on their website that it includes an APC port. Especially on the Cheap Closeout servers.
    You mean you didnt see THIS.

If you have that much problems, then I would say to call them and Iron out the bugs.
    If you'd read the thread you would see he can't get through to them on the phone ...

I garentee you don't get anywhere with the Bank, because its not FULLY covered by the bank, and there isn't much they can do.
    Oh there is, it's called "False Advertisment", they failed to deliver the product they said they would ...

LTN is pretty respected around here as a good admin, I don't think it's fair to say that he's the one at fault here ... at all. Yes there were issues with a network port, but if DN techs had spent 10 seconds to set the port speed manually, all this trouble would have been saved.

You mean you didnt see THIS.

If you'd read the thread you would see he can't get through to them on the phone ...

Oh there is, it's called "False Advertisment", they failed to deliver the product they said they would ...
    Alright first of all, Remote Reboot Port, is not an APC Port, A remote reboot allows for someone from a remote client being able to hard reboot it. An UPS (who is made by APC) is a reliable power source, as in, if the power goes out, the server shut down, then restarts using the APC Battery. If you really thought about it, Datacenters have backup generators, so a NO-Need for an APC. How is this false Advertisement. If he did not receive the remote reboot port, then fine, I can see that as false advertisement, but its not if he said APC. If he were a tech Pro, he'd run some tests, check if it were configured. DN gives our standard servers. Also, He would try to contact them every day until I received proper things. He said he did receive most of it.
    Last edited by NitOxYs; 07-31-2005 at 12:16 AM.

NitOxYs,

APC is a company American Power Conversion. They make more than just uninterruptable power supplies. They also make remote reboot switches.

http://www.bomara.com/APC/masterswitch-plus.htm

With the proper coding one could write a program that would allow a customer to "remote reboot" only their port on an APC Master Switch.

Originally posted by DaSoul
    NitOxYs,

APC is a company American Power Conversion. They make more than just uninterruptable power supplies. They also make remote reboot switches.

http://www.bomara.com/APC/masterswitch-plus.htm

With the proper coding one could write a program that would allow a customer to "remote reboot" only their port on an APC Master Switch.
    And How was I support to know what specifically he was talking about. Sure you explained it, it seemed like he was talking about an APC.

Originally posted by NitOxYs
    And How was I support to know what specifically he was talking about. Sure you explained it, it seemed like he was talking about an APC.
    Well he said APC and said nothing about UPS. So I guess that should have clued you in. I wasn't trying to get upity with you or anything. Just trying to transfer a little knowledge.

that remote reboot stuffs pretty neat
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Originally posted by DaSoul
    Well he said APC and said nothing about UPS. So I guess that should have clued you in. I wasn't trying to get upity with you or anything. Just trying to transfer a little knowledge.
    I know, I didnt know they made Master switches. I know most places have to install the ports on their systems. Most people call them reboot ports but ok.

Reboot port, APC, it's essentially the same thing. It cycles the servers power. It's designed by these individuals specifically to fit into their customer center.

That said, I didn't expect it to be active immediately, hell, I've given them plenty of time to set it up and pay for it (3 weeks is more than enough time to do a job you're paid to do). They've ignored my requests since opening this thread, they've given me 3 different "times" it would be done, every single one of which has been passed, the latest one by a week or so now.

As far as the bank,
    My bank will gladly refund this purchase, as it is covered numerous ways.

A> false advertisement
    B> Not delivering the product they're supposed to (in this case, not only the reboot port, but the failure to provide any bit of service as well).
    C> Not providing what the customer ordered (ram, cpanel, licenses, hardware issues).

And yes, I have tried calling them, sent in support tickets, it's the same response now, nothing. Even if I did get a response from them, it couldn't be trusted. How can you trust a company who continually misleads their customers about dates and times things will be done.

Don't complain because I've been with them for almost 2 years and remote reboot port was promised during their last migration from NAC to current.

How sad eh?

Originally posted by UltraUnixNET
    Don't complain because I've been with them for almost 2 years and remote reboot port was promised during their last migration from NAC to current.

How sad eh?
    And you accept his?

For old clients, they were promised services or "planned future upgrades". They weren't part of the offer for old clients before so its not something we truly paid for and didn't get. Personally, as long as the network is stable and the box stays up, I could care less about the reboot port. I'm sure there are other people who feel the same way.

Originally posted by startotal
    For old clients, they were promised services or "planned future upgrades". They weren't part of the offer for old clients before so its not something we truly paid for and didn't get. Personally, as long as the network is stable and the box stays up, I could care less about the reboot port. I'm sure there are other people who feel the same way.
    Well, that's one of the reasons I didn't care much of that. But there was once my box got offline and emailed them for support. Waited for 30 minutes but no respond at all, then, luckily I know someone who could help me with that, Rus

Else, it's gonna take real long.