How do I Handle DNS with my new Website?

I have an IP for the server and I have my newly registered domain name. Now what I want to do is to be able to type in my domain and go to that server. It sounds really simple, but it is apparently really complicated

I have gone around reading every Windows 2003 DNS setup tutorial I can find, but I have not been successful. When I try and input my new dns server in the GoDaddy DNS page it says:
    Unavailable error in field Host name1
    Unavailable error in field Host name2

I followed the tutorials and named the DNS:

ns1.mysite.com
    ns2.mysite.com

(substituting mysite with my actualy site name)

Can anyone be of assistence? Thanks.

Did you register your DNS servers with GoDaddy first? If I remember correctly you have to specify nameservers in your GoDaddy control panel, then you can go to individual domains and assign the new nameservers.

Also, is your DNS server accessible from outside your firewall? As in can you connect to the server from a different location and do a DNS lookup on it? For example, on a Windows XP box type in DOS, type:

NSLOOKUP
    SERVER <your IP address>
    www.mysite.com

It should return the IP address you setup in DNS. Even if you haven't done the GoDaddy step yet.

Hope this isn't too confusing. There is a lot to explain
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Filler for web address postings.

Arg another filler, hopefully next one can be done.

Originally posted by CTG
    Did you register your DNS servers with GoDaddy first? If I remember correctly you have to specify nameservers in your GoDaddy control panel, then you can go to individual domains and assign the new nameservers.
    What do you mean register DNS server with Godady? Thus far all I have done is registered a domain name with them and they currently have the following parked domain name servers listed:
    PARK5.SECURESERVER.NET
    PARK6.SECURESERVER.NET
    Also, is your DNS server accessible from outside your firewall? As in can you connect to the server from a different location and do a DNS lookup on it? For example, on a Windows XP box type in DOS, type:

NSLOOKUP
    SERVER <your IP address>
    www.mysite.com

It should return the IP address you setup in DNS. Even if you haven't done the GoDaddy step yet.

Hope this isn't too confusing. There is a lot to explain [/B]
    When I enter my server's IP address it brings up the default construction page I created, so it is serving web pages.

When I type: nslookup 111.111.111.111 (my server ip) it says:
    can't find 111.111.111.111: Non-existant Domain

Originally posted by BondGamer
    What do you mean register DNS server with Godady? Thus far all I have done is registered a domain name with them and they currently have the following parked domain name servers listed:
    PARK5.SECURESERVER.NET
    PARK6.SECURESERVER.NET

When I enter my server's IP address it brings up the default construction page I created, so it is serving web pages.

When I type: nslookup 111.111.111.111 (my server ip) it says:
    can't find 111.111.111.111: Non-existant Domain
    When you logon to your GoDaddy control panel, I'm assuming you're going to change your nameservers for the domain to the new ones you're working on right now. But before that step can be done, you first have to register the nameservers themselves with GoDaddy. When I had to do this I just called GoDaddy, explained what I was trying to do, and within 2 minutes the support person had me pointed in the right direction. Maybe somebody lurking in this thread can tell you step-by-step.

The NSLOOKUP command you did is for reverse DNS (PTR) which is something totally different. The command you ran asked the DNS server to match the IP address to a name (like dsl.yourisp.com). If your workstation or server is using your Windows 2003 DNS server, you can just type nslookup www.mysite.com and it should resolve.

Is your Win 2003 server behind a firewall of any kind? Have you properly forwarded port 53 UDP from the firewall to your DNS server? That step must be done as well. Also, let us know what tutorials you've read on this subject.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Ok, I think I have the Godaddy part all squared away. Here is what it says when I preform NSlookup on the Windows 2003 server itself:

*** Can't find server for address 209.123.***.***: Non-existent Domain
    Server: Unknown
    Address: 209.123.***.***

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: mysite.com (mysite replaced with actual site)
    Address: 64.20.**.*** (this is my server address)
    Aliases: www.mysite.com (mysite replaced with actual site)

*Update*

Yay, not when I enter my site in the browser bar it is going to my construction page! Is there anything else I should do?
    Last edited by BondGamer; 07-26-2005 at 07:49 PM.

Looks like you're done, congratulations. DNS should have propogated by now and the site should be reachable to the outside world.

I think I did something wrong, now when I type in my web address it cannot find the page =[

When I do NSlookup it is telling me the request times out. It says:
    DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
    Any idea what went wrong? Don't say undo whatever I did, I tried everything =[

It has been about 2 days now, so I would guess propigation is not the issue. My server will serve pages if I input the IP address instead of the web address.

Try the tools on www.dnsstuff.com. I'll bet they can help you diagnose what's wrong.

You might want to try getting DNS service from a third-party provider. They tend to do a decent job of walking you through configuration steps. If you don't have a compelling reason to run your own DNS server for your web site, I'd say don't bother with the hassle. A few I've used and liked are in the next post.

k.
    NearlyFreeSpeech.NET
    "Not free. Close Enough."
    Affordable hosting Quality service Open-minded No gimmicks
    http://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/

EasyDNS http://www.easydns.com/
    ZoneEdit http://www.zoneedit.com/
    DynDNS http://www.dyndns.com/
    EveryDNS http://www.everydns.net/ (this is *very* basic)

In any case you would still need to sign up for one of these services, find out the new name servers, and update them with GoDaddy for your domain name. But it would take much of the hassle out of getting your site on the 'net.
    NearlyFreeSpeech.NET
    "Not free. Close Enough."
    Affordable hosting Quality service Open-minded No gimmicks
    http://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/