Help Choosing a new host

Currently my business is hosted with Rack Force, and so far I have had a fairly positive experience with them. Especially the fact that they have great support.

My business is a very small (less then 10 clients) web hosting company, however, one of my clients is getting a lot of traffic right now, and I am experience a need for more bandwidth.

However, I cannot afford their bandwidth options, and I have long outgrown a 1.5mbps connection.

Basically my needs fall in line with the offerings of any major company in the $100 range.

My business is not profitable, so keeping the costs as low as possible is key. I am still spending about 75% of the monthly costs out of pocket, so I cant justify getting a server from theplanet or rackspace or one of the other highly reputable companies.

Basically I need:
    Fully dedicated box with at least 2ghz of CPU and 1gb+ ram, 80gb+ hdd, etc. I also require Plesk 7.5 since thats what I run currently.
    Bandwidth/Hardware upgrade options would be a plus, affordable backup solutions would be nice also.

So far I have found the following deals:

Server Beach Power 2200
    Cost as needed: $149/mo
    Pros:
    Option for unmetered 10mbit, 2000gb base
    The Prices are ok...

Cons:
    Backups Cost Extra (a lot extra for a full disk mirror)
    Plesk Costs Extra (as expected)
    Shady Support Options

1&1 Root III
    Cost as needed $119
    Pros:
    Includes SSL Cert (mine expires next month)
    Includes Backup storage space equal to disk size
    Plesk Included in Cost
    Datacenter located in NY ( I am located in philadelphia, along with my client base)
    A bunch of other Perks (firewall, recovery tool, serial connection, etc)
    2gb ram
    3ghz cpu
    Additional IP's only $1 ( i need 5 Ips total)
    Cons:
    Questionable Reputation
    Questionable Support
    No bandwidth upgrade options
    Only 1500gb as opposed to 2000gb ( I can always get additional boxes)
    Max of 8 ips per box (not a big deal)

Layered Tech
    Cost as needed $70-100
    Pros:
    Price
    Cons:
    Reputation ( I have never heard of them, they seem really small)

Basically, as you can tell, Im leaning toward 1&1, I was almost certain I was going to go with them until I read a few negative reviews here. I have a feeling their support isnt as bad as it seems, and I have a way of getting what I need when it comes to talking to customer service people on the phone.

The ability to upgrade a box as needed would be nice (server beach and 1&1 dont really offer this)

Backups included in price would be fantastic

The ability to upgrade to more bandwidth as needed would be great to prevent paying expensive overage fees.

I know im asking a lot but 1&1 seems to blow all the other deals out of the water.
    Last edited by werkkrew; 07-26-2005 at 02:45 PM.

If you are happy with your current host, I would stick it out with them. No need to rock the boat over a few dollars.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

I am happy with their service and support, but their bandwidth options are essentially impossibly expensive.

Not to mention, when I told them I was considering leaving and asked if they could be flexible on their bandwidth options, they basically told me, "see ya" and didnt even try to retain me as a customer. I didnt feel valued at all.

Originally posted by werkkrew
    I am happy with their service and support, but their bandwidth options are essentially impossibly expensive.

Not to mention, when I told them I was considering leaving and asked if they could be flexible on their bandwidth options, they basically told me, "see ya" and didnt even try to retain me as a customer. I didnt feel valued at all.
    That's not a good sign... I am a stickler for stability, sometimes costing an arm and a leg is a good thing.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

werkkrew,

Layeredtech seems to have a decent rep. around these forums, theres an issue every so often but it's normally user-error from what I can see publically.

That said: What is your maximum budget? (obviously you're attempting to keep costs low) but does that mean <150? <200?

You can find quite a few servers for <150
    I personally use steadfastnetworks.com - you can pick up a 2.8ghz box there with a terabyte of bandwidth (level3/savvis) for 139.95 a month which is decent (compared to ev1 or TP where you'll be paying about 150-200)

Also: Check with each provider and see if they'll offer you a backup solution, some might throw one in free of charge.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Check out sigmaservers.com. They are very reasonable and can probably match your needs with that price range.

we are with Hostdigit.com and so far so good not only fully managed support but also pro active monitoring They called us last night inform us tha we had a server issue and server needed reboot. They also sending us ICQ msgs and Emails when some thing wrong and they working on it.

my 2cents

Plus hostdigit also offered me 30min "call back" service with my order.so i can email any time and have call back within an 30min to my cell phone. i think its great

my 2cents.

XP