Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* which hosting company have you used and still recommend?

I'm having difficulty choosing a web host for my personal web page.

It should be

- UNIX-based (I know UNIX); ssh access
    - Big provider with established reputation
    - Inexpensive (my disk and bandwidth requirements are modest)
    - Reliable

Any suggestions?

There are millions of hosting companies that are UNIX-based and inexpensive, but it's hard to tell which ones are big and reliable.

There are also very many web sites that rate hosting companies, but they rarely rate reliability and reputation. Further, there is no way to tell if these aren't just ads in disguise.

Thanks

Any particular flavor of UNIX you're after?

As far as review sites, move your mouse over the link to the particular web host (on the review site). See if there is an affiliate link shown. For example, www.host.com/?Affid=bigbucks. You might want to check www.whreviews.com for reviews. There is are affiliate links on the site but the owner Dan is VERY up front about this and lets you know that. Most of the review sites conceal it or have fake "Top 10" lists that are just listed in the order of affiliate payouts.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

ot14,

The only one I can still recommend after using them is Hostrocket.
    You can check them out at http://www.hostrocket.com

They're relatively inexpensive and have been great to work with but just a note: I'm not one to normally use shared accounts - I've only been with a total of 5 shared providers so far (and not because I hop around, each account served it's purpose).

Hostrocket was the best out of them all.
    They also provide SSH access, which helps but I believe I had to "apply" for it but it only took about 5 minutes for them to respond and let me know that it was enabled.

Sure, there are zillions of companies, and 100s of review sites; most of which are not offering any serious quality information. (Dan's site is an exception).
    Personally, I have researched the customer ratings of many major companies, and I am personally using some of those which I found to have the best ratings by actual customers.
    They are: Site5, Micfo, and DreamHost (I also have used InMotion Hosting, and had no complaints).
    Just my 2 cents
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

www.valcatohosting.com i used to use them about 3 years ago for some of my php sites. They where great for me back then. Im not sure now though.

Good luck.

We recommend Site5.

Powweb (UNIX), LunarPages (Linux)

Hostgator and Eagerhost, I'm still using them, greate experience at the moment.. Both have great support and good prices. Between this two, I would go with Hostgator for their reputation, but both are excelent hosts..

Greettings!
    Andrés Chávez
    All in Hosting - Web hosting in spanish
    *Shared hosting - Reseller plans - Managed VPS*

I use Devotedhost myself. I've been with them for about 3 or 4 months and had no problems.

Prices are reasonable and support is very good.

Originally posted by troubled1
    I use Devotedhost myself. I've been with them for about 3 or 4 months and had no problems.

Prices are reasonable and support is very good.
    This post refers to www.devotedhost.biz, since the original poster can't yet post links .
    Last edited by ldcdc; 07-26-2005 at 08:59 PM.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

I recommend EagerHost. Had a great hosting experience with them.
    MaxterHostsimply different.
    cPanel Shared Hosting, WHM Reseller Accounts, Managed/Self-Managed VPS Hosting and more
    17+ Years of Experience | Enhanced Security | 24x7 Support | 100% Uptime SLA

Pure SSD Hosting

try he.net - used them in the past - rock solid.

cihost.com JK

2advanced.net, very good!
    "there are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary and those who dont!"

I've been using aplus.net, and have been satisfied. Maybe not quite as fast as some, though.

Rotohost.com

I used RH for like 3 years...up to about a year ago. My needs have changed and so I'm utilizing anothe provider now. If my needs still fit what RH offers, I'd have NO second thoughts about opening another account with them! I have only good things to say about RH and would highly recommend them for anyone whose needs fit their offerings! They aren't the cheapest in the world, but excellent service and support...which is important to me! They also aren't the largest host either, but do(at least did when I used them) utilize Hosting Matters servers, which are top notch also in my book.

I prefer a smaller company/business to deal with directly. Let THEM get their servers from a major network/provider and you are more likely to be a name and not a server/account number, yet you still get the big boy server/service!

When I left RH last year, Jim(RH) was sooo respectful and decent, I was very impressed, but also not surprised.....RH was always excellent as I've noted.

Michael

ssh access.. huh.. most of hosting providers does not provide it anymore..
    Last edited by RackSlash; 07-28-2005 at 03:47 AM.

Thanks for the positive comments.

Originally posted by David
    ot14,

The only one I can still recommend after using them is Hostrocket.
    You can check them out at http://www.hostrocket.com

They're relatively inexpensive and have been great to work with but just a note: I'm not one to normally use shared accounts - I've only been with a total of 5 shared providers so far (and not because I hop around, each account served it's purpose).

Hostrocket was the best out of them all.
    They also provide SSH access, which helps but I believe I had to "apply" for it but it only took about 5 minutes for them to respond and let me know that it was enabled.
    VOIPO - VoIP Telephone Service

Personally recommend Dualnic.com

i think that your best to contact and get a hold of em and get to know hows running whatever company your looking for cause otherwise its like shopping at walmart for hosting without the financial backing to give you a full refund
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Originally posted by Nadabrahma
    DreamHost
    Seconded!

Thumbs up

I recommend fluidhosting . We've used them for more than one year and I think that:
    - the servers are fast;
    - the prices are OK;
    - the staff is supportive and they know their job

Web dev guy
    www.globalinfo.ro
    www.englezaonline.ro

I would have to second FluidHosting all the way. I have had my personal site (down for a re-design) and some other project sites there for 7 months now, and FH has by far the fastest shared servers of any host I've ever seen on WHT. Their bandwidth is 100% premium, and their support crew is on top of things all the time. They plan and publish all scheduled downtimes by forum and email and are constantly working to fine-tune the service and stay current with all software and hardware setups. H-Sphere is rock solid, as are their dedicated servers for email, and I have heard their VPS's are great as well.

Absolutely top notch, one of the best hosts out there, bar none.

Trip

Site5 and Lunar Pages. I've been very happy with both.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

24. I think site5 and homepageuniverse.com

i was downloading off of that make commerce fun website which is the guy claims is suposidely hosted by site5 and only getting 10k anyways thats what i know of site5 ............ oh and they got big advertising bucks on this website but the guy could have been getting a lot of hits so best of luck -gilbert
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast