massive miscarriage of justince in Bulgaria

I'm posting this here to try and raise awareness, and bring wider attention to a massive miscarriage of justice that has just occured in Bulgaria

A Liverpool football fan has been jailed for 15 years for the attempted murder of a Bulgarian barman, despite another man admitting responsibility.

Michael Shields, 18, from Wavertree, was accused of attacking the barman by throwing a brick at his head.

Martin Georgiev, 25, suffered a fractured skull and may have brain damage, the Bulgarian court was told.

On Saturday Graham Sankey, 20, an electrician from Anfield, Liverpool, said he carried out the attack.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...de/4717249.stm

despite this other guy Graham Sankey admitting through his solicitor that he committed the crime, the young lad has been found guilty and sentenced to 15 years in prison.

for more information, a longer background and ways you may be able to help, please take a look at the following url:
    http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/...c,78113.0.html

if nothing else please sign the petition at: http://www.petitiononline.com/shields1/petition.html

it doesnt matter if you dont care about football, liverpool football club or scousers, this is a matter of justice for the 18 year old lad who'll be spending hte next 15 years of his life in jail for a crime he didnt commit

good eye there captain Slidey thanks for pointing that out ....... kinda sad things like this get shoved off to the side
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

I've seen this on the news today and on various news sites. I just can't believe they carried on with the trial after someone else admitted to it. I really hope our government can negotiate something otherwise this kids life is ruined.
    Steve

On Saturday Graham Sankey, 20, an electrician from Anfield, Liverpool, said he carried out the attack.

Graham believed the case against Michael would either be thrown out or adjourned
    David Kirwan, solicitor for Graham Sankey

He made his statement in the UK through his solicitor David Kirwan.

Sankey was said to be "in despair" that his confession did not prevent Shields' conviction.

Mr Kirwan said: "Graham believed the case against Michael would either be thrown or adjourned after he came forward to make his confession.

Stephen Jakobi, of pressure group Fair Trials Abroad, said Shields' best hope was for the British courts to prosecute Mr Sankey.

He said: "Graham Sankey made a confession and said he was prepared to stand trial only in Britain, not in Bulgaria.

"If he is convicted, perhaps that would persuade the Bulgarian courts that they have the wrong man.

"The evidence of Graham Sankey's confession as it stood had no weight whatsoever. In fairness, it would not have had much weight with a British judge either."
    So it is very much possible that this "confession" is just an attempt to save his buddy, and carries no weight at all. I have no doubt that it would carry some weight if it is made in Bulgaria and if he would be ready to suffer consequences for his alleged actions.

the number and wide ranging amount of things they wouldnt allow or didnt check as evidence, from alibis to checking for fingerprints on the assault weapon, to changing the colour of the lads tshirt for an identity parade strikes me that it wouldnt matter if the guy who was assaulted turned round and said he fell over - they just wanted to try someone in their kangaroo court

Originally posted by Slidey
    the number and wide ranging amount of things they wouldnt allow or didnt check as evidence, from alibis to checking for fingerprints on the assault weapon, to changing the colour of the lads tshirt for an identity parade strikes me that it wouldnt matter if the guy who was assaulted turned round and said he fell over - they just wanted to try someone in their kangaroo court
    Well that is just your opinion. My opinion is that there are some kids who are trying to use distance between two countries to avoid paying for what they did. Neither of us cannot know for sure who did it, as we were not there. Only difference is that I am not so quick to judge as you are, simply based on fact that any non-Britain court is kangaroo court. If the same thing happened in Britain would you be posing here saying that 15 years is not enough and how sorry you are about family of person who will stay brain damaged for life.

Maybe your effort should have went towards helping person who admitted committing the crime returning to Bulgaria and making his confession there. That would certainly help your cause.

Maybe Kerry will get involved. He says he went to bat to free that Aussie gal, maybe he will get involved here too?
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...s&pagenumber=3

After all, the more people emailing and signing online petitions will surely help. </sarcasm>

Come on, there is much more to this. Just because one guy admits to doing it does not mean he did do it. He is out of their grasp, and no verification. Hard to know exactly what went on.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

Yeah, why did they do the trial if someone admitted to it?

Originally posted by Sting13
    Yeah, why did they do the trial if someone admitted to it?
    Well, do they have access to this guy that "admitted" to it? If not, they should go forward. If they get the guy and can question him and build a case, that may be different. But a guy that leaves the country, then admitts to it? No good IMHO.
    You got to show some respect
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

well i wont try and persuade you etc. its your opinion totally. i only ask that if you believe that this young lad may be innocent that you at the very least sign the online petition

i'll leave you with a quote from his lawyer in bulgaria..

But Mr Antanasov said the case against Michael Shields was full of holes.

"The stone used in the attack was not even examined for fingerprints or other traces that it had come into contact with our client. Police have been trying to provide evidence for the prosecution that shows my client was behind the attack, but have entirely failed to do so.

"The investigation and the trial have been conducted at a speed incredible for our country.

"When a crime is given high status, the police seem prepared to do everything necessary in order to resolve it." He said the only description police had after the attack was "a British person with fair hair and of large stature".

I drove past michaels house today when i was driving home from work. They had enough tv crew at the house today. They have been protesting for over a month. Sad story...
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business