Emails not sent and not recieved !

Hello

I have a problem with my dedicated server.

The problem is that i and all users can not send any email to any other email that is not on the server , for example : my email is : [email protected] , and i want to send an email to [email protected] , the email from my side sent succesfully , but when i ask [email protected] about this email he said that he did not receive any thing , this problem is occur for all email accounts in my server that send any email to any provider (Yahoo , Hotmail , Gmail ....etc ).

The problem also exist in the other side , assume that [email protected] want to send an email to [email protected] , i can not recieve the email !! but when [email protected] send this email using Mail Form in mysite.com i recieve that email with no problems !!!

Please help me

Additional Information :

I open the message queue and i noticed that all messages are queued there , when i click Attempt to deliver all emails , a "Complete" message appear , but actually nothing sent and when i back to Queue i see that the messages still exist there.

Also , i click Mail statistics and i have noticed this message repeated too many times :

1 [someone]@hotmail.com R=fail_remote_domains: unrouteable mail
    domain "hotmail.com"

What is the problem !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is your domain exist under /etc/localdomains ? if not, try add it back and try sending the mail.

also, you might want to check your resolv.conf configuration as well.

checking the exim_mainlog and exim_rejectlog while you send/receive the email will help you to diagnose the error as well.

Hello andy18

Sorry i dont know what do you want to say , where is these things in WHM ? and what should i check these things for ? i dont know the default structre of these thing to check it now !!

please i need a step by step solution using WHM or Shell Commands

thanks

1. login to SSH as root > pico /etc/localdomains > check if your domain if there, if not, add the domain mysite.com into the entry > press CTRL+X > Y > to save the changes

2. pico /etc/resolv.conf , check if the DNS server is setup properly

3. tail -f /var/log/exim_mainlog or tail -f /var/log/exim_rejectlog ( depending on which log you wish to check ) and try sending/ receive mails and you will see the error appear in the ssh. Further your troubleshoot from there.

yeahaw go look under /var or /etc if your looking for where your mails kept if you use qmail or something there could be directories labeled such
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

ps if thats not the case maybe you wanna mess with dns and run some test ? http://dnsstuff.com/
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Hi

Andy , the first step is OK , all domains are there

when i check the second step i see something strange , this is the content of the file:

nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx

nameserver yy.yy.yy.yy

where xx.xx.xx.xx and yy.yy.yy.yy are both 2 ips that is not from my server Ip's !!!

how can i modify this file to be correct !

thanks

usually both the name server ip should be pointing to your data center DNS or other third party DNS. So it is ok that you see that the IP does not belongs to yours :-)

Hello

But the nameserver is written like this: "nameserver" , is that correct also or it should be something like :

ns1.myserver.com
    ns2.myserver.com

OR

server1.myserver.com

if that is OK also , so what is the problem !!

When applying : "tail -f /var/log/exim_mainlog " and "tail -f /var/log/exim_rejectlog " here some examples of the error messages i have seen:

"R=lookuphost defer (-1): host lookup did not complete"

" temporarily rejected RCPT <[email protected]>: Could not complete sender verify"

what is the problem ??

Any help ?

Please have a check on
    /etc/resolv.conf

Make sure that it does have your mainserver IP as the first entry followed by the two nameserver IP's. PM me if you need more help. I might be able to help you.

Thanks ,

I have check it , and see that it is built from two lines only, they are exactly like following:

nameserver 12.34.56.78

nameserver 34.56.78.90

where these Ip's are not my server IP , Mr. andy18 said that this is a normal situation , where these IP's will not be my Main server IP , So what is the problem ??

You can add your server IP as the first entry. Atleast that won't do any harm to you.
    --
    Aby,