Domain transfer to another server - domain isn't working for some people?
I have some problem. I have two servers and I have some sites on first and second. When I move some domain from one server to another it works well for me, but not for all customers.
How do I do domains transfer:
1. Create backup of domains files, mails, domain configs etc.
2. Create domain on second server
3. Restore backup
4. Remove domain from first server
5. I add to DNS configuration that domain wit something like this:
domain.com IN A IPOFSECONDSERVER
I wait a moment and all is working fine. I can ping, access etc. for domain on the new server.
Often some customer writes to me that his domain doesn't work. For me it works, but for him not. I write to him that he should remove temps, coockies, hitstory and reload his page. I write that he can see his site on www.anonymsurfen.com too.
Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. What should I write my customers when I do it and they have that problem? How can I transfer domain in other way, which is safely for that error?
I have good site very fast. Some customers too, but some customers not.
Refresh pages sometimes help.
What do you think, that I move domain to second server, change IP in DNS configuration and leave domain on first server for 48h? Can it help?
Got the same prob yesterday with one cust while i was moving his site from one server to another.He event sent me a printscreen showing his ping.
After a restart of his system all went good(he was the only one unable to see his website,and his computer was the only resolving his website on the old adress)
They are most likely using their local ISP for a resolver. Since they are doing this and they have visited their site the information is cached in that resolver.
So if you changed IPs of where their sites are located this will cause a delay in that cache until the TTL dies out. You can change the amount of TTL in your DNS zones which will not make them stay as long in the resolver cache of all resolvers that pull up that website.
To check if the site is up and it is just the customers caching issue please have them either run a traceroute to their site name and then you verify that you can pull up the site from a place like
proxify . (com)
This should help you determine what that is.
Also DnsReport (dot) come would be a great place for you to use the tools as well.