Question Solutions to Secure a Windows 2003 Dedicated

Hi
    What is the best software to be installed on the server to protect it from hack and other security issues
    Is there any todo list or some thing Like that ?
    I am using IMail as mail server, and IIS as web server, and SQL Server

#1: Use Windows update. Keep the box updated with all security updates.

#2: Turn off any services you don't need/use.

#3: Check out Microsoft's own security site. They have lots of free information on how to configure your server to be more secure, along with lots of free tools on how to help you do so. Check out the MBSA...
    I wish all my traffic went through AS174.

Good advice. Its just keep that puppy up to date, it will do it by itself so no worries.

Ipswitch's support for Imail is pretty good as well so you have a good product there.

Yes run antivirus, yes run firewall.

Just remember to omit the database files from your virus scan or you will have performance issues.
    Andrι Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

I am wondering if I should use some thing like ZoneAlarm or BlackIce ?

The biggest thing besides keeping it up to date is shutting off any services you don't need. Plus it will make your machine perform better

For firewalls I would go with a custom IPsec ruleset if you are handy with that kind of stuff as you can tailor it to your needs pretty easily. Other then that there are a few decent commercial firewall on the market, Just stay away from anything made for a desktop pc.. (Zonealarm, Blackice)

Originally posted by neonima
    i use RRSA Remote Routing and service access (don't remeber what it stand for excatly off top of my head)

it act as basic firewall. server at theplanet have been up since Aug 2004.

The most importan solution:
    - Plug out the net-cable

Well be aware of the Windows auto-updater as it can cause unstability if you make it install all updates automatically. People who tried with Win03 SP1 using a control panel know what I am talking about

I actually had a Windows box do an auto update last week, I have no idea which patch, but after a reboot the box wouldn't come up again because of a security problem, looked all over and nothing could shed any light on a possible fix so I just had to reload the whole box (repair wouldn't work)...

Kerio Server Firewall is also a good one to use, it's expensive but it's great. Keep away from ZoneAlarm, etc, etc ... they're rubbish and not designed for the application.

Dan

My windows 2003 is up to date and all the patches are installed
    last time I was scanning the box AV found some trojane whith the name : Backdoor.Win32.HacDef.aw
    I dont know where does it came from but it was in system32 folder !
    thats the reason I am searching for some other ways to make the box secure.

10. Originally posted by neonima
    If you can go with a hardware based firewall or one of those NIC cards that have the build in firewall you will be better off. The software firewalls have some flaws and i would rather use the default windows firewall before i use the blackice or zonealarm.

However some firewall is better than no firewall.

Do a search for firewall windows 2003. You'll get a big stack of threads discussing Windows 2003 security.

Don't use the browser to surf the net to unsuspecting websites.

I have always found an Anti-Virus a waste of hard earned cash on a server, unless you want to scan email for clients. Otherwise, it serves no useful purpose.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK™ ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

I have always found an Anti-Virus a waste of hard earned cash on a server, unless you want to scan email for clients. Otherwise, it serves no useful purpose.
    Umm... not exactly. Alot of times, when a server does get "Exploited" an antivirus can pick up alot of the tools used as "hack-tools".
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Originally posted by thelinuxguy
    Umm... not exactly. Alot of times, when a server does get "Exploited" an antivirus can pick up alot of the tools used as "hack-tools".
    I'll keep that in mind next time I have an exploited server. I'm kinda like the Maytag repairman. Just waiting for that day....I guess it all depends on how you build them

Thanks for the tip.

Originally posted by Take-IT-EZZI
    Its all about layers of security (AV). If someone gets past the perimeter, you'll be glad you have AV installed...
    I still think it is a waste of money for a professional solution, but if you just have to use something use ClamWin AV. The prices is close enough to the WHT guy's budget.

I still think for a server an AV is as usueful as teats on a bull.

Originally posted by [email protected]
    If you can go with a hardware based firewall or one of those NIC cards that have the build in firewall you will be better off. The software firewalls have some flaws and i would rather use the default windows firewall before i use the blackice or zonealarm.

However some firewall is better than no firewall.
    disagree on hardware firewall. if you go with a software firewall like checkpoint or MS ISA2004 they will do application layer protection and since it's software based admin tend to update/patch it more often.

a hardware firewall, you will have to update the hardware firewall too and sometime you need to do a firmware update to keep the system up to date and that for novice admin is confusing and risky.

hardware firewall still use some scaled down OS such as linux, you will have to udpate that as well...it seem like too much work just to keep it. i rather protect server at application level since today's hacking is all based on attacking/expoliting a piece of software installed on the server. i believe a software based firewall installed on the server can provide better protection against application layer attack.

my two cent.

Make sure your iMail server is not an Open-Relay.
    "I drink too much. The last time I gave a urine sample it had an olive in it. ".
    Rodney Dangerfield (from "I Get No Respect!").