Midphase free domain

Recently joined Midphase and so far so good.

However, I purchased the three web site plan and received a free domain name. Turns out that the domain name I asked to register had already been registered. No one mentioned that their service doesn't first check domain availability (this should be stated up front). I even received an email with the domain name, my user password (a cropped version of the domain name) and the password.

Later, when I tried to log on, it didn't work. So I called and found out that the domain name didn't go through and that the log on name (to access all three web sites) HAS to be the free domain name. So I couldn't upload my sites that were ready to go. Also, I didn't need another domain name, so decided to transfer a domain from another registrar. But then I found (this should also be mentioned upfront) that since it was a free domain name, if I wanted to move it to a different registrar within the year, I would have to pay about $21.00 to do it.

I also received a request for domain name transfer from enom. They stated to contact [email protected] if I had any questions. I sent them an email and never received a reply. I called and was advised to send email to [email protected]. It looks like the email address enom sent me is inaccurate.

Instead of transferring the domain name I already owned, I decided to just purchase a new domain name from Midphase that I wouldn't mind losing if I wanted to go elsewhere within the year.

These aren't huge issues, but it would be helpful if more info was given upfront so that they don't interfer with a client's promptness in getting online. This has caused about a week's delay for me.

Most importantly, the access code to manage the web sites shouldn't be related to one of the domain names. If a client wanted to drop a web site (the one related to the log on name)and replace it with a new one, the domain name issue could cause all kinds of problems.

One way to decrease those phone calls to support would be to make such issues disappear.

Thanks.

I don't understand why you had to transfer the domain name, you can just change the DNS for the web-host.

Charging $21 for that is excessive for any service with domain names.

I guess you really have to read the fine print with issues like this. Personally, I don't recommend hosts that register a domain name for free unless they offer it to you with another service such as enom or godaddy.com

Best of luck!
    GenerousWebHosting.com Home of Generous George the Red Monster.
    24/7 Live Chat Support - 99.9% Uptime - 30 Day Money Back Policy

Since the first domain name I wanted to register had already been registered, I either needed to register a new domain or transfer one I already owned. Apparently, MidPhase needs to be the registrar of one of the domain names that they will be hosting for you. At least that is what I was told when I simply asked for a new MCC log on name. I didn't really need another domain name, but then came up with one so that I didn't have to transfer any domain I already owned.

Theft

This sounds like a one or 2 person company that just charges overly as all you should have needed to do is change the dns on your existing domain name. Furthermore they propably dont have a full understanding of what they are doing and might think that is the only way to do it if they are a cheapie reseller.

Just my thoughts.....

Derl

Heh, Midphase is most definitely not a one or two person company

Apparently, MidPhase needs to be the registrar of one of the domain names that they will be hosting for you.
    edit: nevermind they will just whine and I will get another ban
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

Originally posted by Jeffries456
    Apparently, MidPhase needs to be the registrar of one of the domain names that they will be hosting for you.
    MidPhase is not a registrar. They may register domains for you, on your behalf, THROUGH a registrar (like eNom)...but they are not a registrar.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I think you're misunderstanding things a bit... we include one domain with every
    web hosting account at no cost, additional domains are $21.95/year and that is
    our set retail rate.

You by no means are required to register your domain with us... you can register
    it at any registration site and point the DNS servers to your midPhase name servers
    and it will work fine.

If you want to transfer a domain and we haven't registered your original domain
    then we'll do that at no cost, one free registration OR transfer with an account.

Sorry for any misinformation...
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.

Originally posted by Jeffries456
    Since the first domain name I wanted to register had already been registered, I either needed to register a new domain or transfer one I already owned. Apparently, MidPhase needs to be the registrar of one of the domain names that they will be hosting for you. At least that is what I was told when I simply asked for a new MCC log on name. I didn't really need another domain name, but then came up with one so that I didn't have to transfer any domain I already owned.
    It sure looks like there was some misinformation going on here....
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic