Thread: Mac Panels

Question Mac Panels

Hi there.

I am looking into opening a Mac Based webhosting service (running xserves). Now the only problem is, I can't seem to find a control panel or billing system for Mac OS X!

Does anyone have an experience, PM me or Post any helpful responces!

Thanks a bunch!

At macworld 2003, after explaining to Apple employees what the problems were with the Xserve because I'm a concerned shareholder, they offered to give me an Xserve if I ported or wrote something to the platform.

This is a huge hole.

Howard, if you're a programmer, want to write a panel? I could make a nice frontend for it

</wishful:thinking>

I'm a lousy programmer and don't have the time.

Sorry.

Originally posted by DanX
    Howard, if you're a programmer, want to write a panel? I could make a nice frontend for it

</wishful:thinking>

Webmin might be not all you're looking for, but it's been available for Mac OS X for years and being written in Perl, it can be extended with new modules. Jamie also accepts programming jobs so if you don't want a cPanel, Webmin with a couple of custom coded modules might be sufficient to your needs.

www.webmin.com

id second webmin but i think is cpanel done yet? or plesk?
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

I hope so

But I am not sure. On their site it still says 'In Development' .

cPanel is not done, Plesk isn't planning it, AFAIK.

eLI, email the webmin guys and ask. psoft.net also has a more aesthetic version of webmin, if it will work.

In my estimation, a professional web designer could create a cPanel-style graphical interface to Usermin in a day or two at most. While Usermin doesn't have as many features as cPanel, some of the features are actually more advanced (like the File Manager).

Hello !

Apple company trust GPLHost, they have sent us a iMac for our developments. The version 0.17.0-R3 works since about 6 month, and I will continue to support Mac OS X, like I do for FreeBSD, Gentoo, Redhat, and Debian.

Just have a look at:

http://www.gplhost.com/?rub=softwares&sousrub=dtc

Enjoy open-source,

Thomas Goirand

P.S: Maybe one day, I'll start a service with Mac OS X Servers...
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

Good job!

Just curious, how long did you take to port your application to Mac OS?
    It shouldn't be too hard right? Mac is basically a linux.

Wonder whats taking cpanel so long.

Originally posted by gplhost
    Hello !

Apple company trust GPLHost, they have sent us a iMac for our developments. The version 0.17.0-R3 works since about 6 month, and I will continue to support Mac OS X, like I do for FreeBSD, Gentoo, Redhat, and Debian.

Just have a look at:

http://www.gplhost.com/?rub=softwares&sousrub=dtc

Enjoy open-source,

Thomas Goirand

P.S: Maybe one day, I'll start a service with Mac OS X Servers...
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

Hello !

Well, it was very fast. First, I had appointment with Apple Europe, they wanted to talk about my project. So I went to a friend that had a iMac laptop. I spent 4 or 5 hours fixing path and patching arround. Then the next day, I could have a working version in Apple's office in 2 hours. Then it took me 5 more hours to build a nice working automatic installer when I was back home.

The problem is not really the panel itself, but all the modules arround that should be there: Courier, mod_log_sql, sbox, etc... But I've build binary for that, if you need, it's in my ftp. I'm not sure if they should be rebuild or not. What would be cool would be to have OS X package for all, and then it might be as easy as a toy!

By the way, to be honest, the Mac OS X platform is the one I have the least returns. There is a low interest for this platform, and I think it's a shame.

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

Originally posted by Roy@ENHOST
    Mac is basically a linux.
    I beg to differ... Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD which differs from GNU/Linux at least as much as Sun Solaris - while they all share the same Unix ancestry, they are completely different and independent developments, all of them having gone their way for decades. While X11 (since OS X 10.3) allows you to run Unix apps on a Mac with relatively little extra work, GNU/Linux applications need their codebase to be rewritten. Not as much as for a Windows port of course, but quite a lot all the same.

Hi !

I do not agree with you. The kernel itself has been written and is a microkernel, and mainly the driver parts are taken from BSD, which is IMHO a very good choice (those driver run in kernel mode, and that breaks a bit the micro-kernel principes).

By the way, if you don't talk about kernel, the file system hierarchy is closer to linux than the one of FreeBSD. Things do not all reside in /usr/local like for BSD for example.

Moreover, the fink that is widely used under OS X is a port of apt from debian, and OS X don't have a port system like FreeBSD.

Also, libs are not in .so, but in .dylib. If I'm not mistaking, Mac OS X understand both.

Thomas

P.S: I'd like to know how people much exactly would be interested in a fully graphical package of my control panel for MacOS X Server.

While I use desktop OS X and would recommend it to everyone who doesn't absolutely need some Windows features or Windows-only apps, on the server side I don't really see a reason for OS X. The main argument over other GNU/Linux and *BSD options is the GUI admin toolset and I as a server admin can live w/o it, I'm comfortable with browser-based tools and the command line. Where ease of use is important is on the end user level, i.e. a client control panel. And on that level, OS X server doesn't offer anything at all AFAIK, meaning other OSes are actually better off due to the large selection of 3rd party control panels.

I see a very big advantage on the Mac platform: power. It saves a lot, and you will spend less. Power is a BIG budget issue when it comes to hosting.

Thomas

Are you talking about electrical current? Wasn't the reason Steve Jobs gave some weeks back for the future switch to Intel CPUs that they consume less power than PowerPC CPUs? Not to mention AMD CPUs' power consumption is up to 5x less than Intel ones.

AFAIK, the switch to Intel was to keep up to date on DRM's and such. (Since they will be building support for it into the architecture, rather than the software.)

My question was a rhetoric one because CPU power consumption was what Steve Jobs claimed to be the reason for the switch.

Originally posted by DanX
    cPanel is not done, Plesk isn't planning it, AFAIK.

eLI, email the webmin guys and ask. psoft.net also has a more aesthetic version of webmin, if it will work.
    Actually that is not true about Plesk. Plesk already developed version for MacOS X. It requires some final tune up and will be available in one of nearest minor releases, i.e. in 7.5.x
    Paul 'Lawyer' Kandikov

I was mainly thinking about the minimac solutions. The only trouble with minimac is that there is not enough memory by default for decent hosting.

About the current taken by both Intel and G5 processors, I'm nearly totaly sure that PowerPC uses less power. It has always been like that, I don't see why it would sudunly change.

About the switch of Apple to Intel based processors, IMHO they must have though about many points in it, and it can't be resumed as less power usage, more speed, or such things. To me, they will have to face the fact that today's PC are evolving soooooo fast, that they wont be able to follow, so the only chance they have it to make OS X work on any kind of hardware and be shipped in "OEM" form. And then, it's a direct attack to MS... We'll see!

Thomas