Looking for wall jack. Can anyone help?

I am looking for a wall jack that is used with ethernet type cables. It would need to be like this http://www.levitonproducts.com/Catal...P8DNC&PID=1208

but, for ethernet cables not telephone cables. I have looked at my friends and it said Leviton on the back, so I assume the company in the link sells what I'm looking for, but I don't know what to search.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks a bunch,
    David

It might be that the faceplate was made by leviton, but the connectors where not.

I have baught them before, carn';t remember where tho as i didnt order them..

I'll see if i can find one kicking around.

You might find one here http://www.cablestogo.com/product_list.asp?cat_id=2223
    Note to self: Add something funny!
    Search is your friend!

Did a Froogle and ended up here - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14968
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Those can be purchased at home depot, or such.

I use those at every new office set-up. They make a good cable saver, not to mention easy moving.

I'm amazed that couldn't you find those at your local hardware/electric stuff shop.
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

I know in the UK you can buy them from B and Q or Homebase

Wow! You guys are good. Well, I realized I need the faceplate, and the jacks (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting)

However, my friend has these tiny multicolered wires, the run in between the jacks. Does anyone know what these are? Or should I just take a run down to Radioshack and see if they can help me?

-Thanks

Originally posted by Lorand M
    I use those at every new office set-up. They make a good cable saver, not to mention easy moving.

I'm amazed that couldn't you find those at your local hardware/electric stuff shop.
    I probably could, I just prefer to see specifically what I need before I make a run to any local store.

The 3com intelliJacks are pretty nice. With status lights...

http://www.computerhq.com/images/114...220-BLK-20.jpg

Ok, I'm solving my own question I think. But I think the multicolored cables inside the jacks are what's found in a typical ethernet cord. Am I right, and if I am, how can you take them out?

The 'tiny multicolered wires' are indeed from a normal CAT5 cable most probably, again you can buy the cable punch from any hardware store.

They are just normal wire that is 'wedged' between the connectors of the jack, so you really need a tool to fit them in properly - about £3 over in the UK

Staples has them (If you have that store)

also check out radioshack
    Robin Alex
    At your service....

Ok, thanks everyone!

Originally posted by ZFX-David
    Ok, thanks everyone!
    David -

You can find them at Home Depot if you have that store. They will be around the phone area. One of the Home Depots have them by the phones, and the other has it by where the outlets are. Look for CAT5....then you need a faceplate.

No you can't remove the 'tiny coloured wires' from the sheathing. Or shouldn't, at least. The cable is manufactured to very stringent specifications. Each pair of wires (these are balanced + and - sides of a circuit) is twisted tightly together so that their balanced conflicting potential cancels out to near zero. The four pairs that make up a CAT5 cable are then subsequently twisted to each other and a nylon strand that improves the strength of the cable. The construction of the cable is vital to its reliability -- if you untwist even just a few inches at the end it's likely you won't get reliable data transfer.

If I remember correctly, the specs indicate that 1/2" of untwisted wire is allowed at each cable terminus including that internal to the connector. Keep these things in mind when you're running your cable. Be careful and diligent; running Ethernet in a furnished house is a pain enough, you don't want to redo any of it. Also keep in mind that the longest allowed run is 100m (~300ft). That includes patch cables from the wall jack to any PCs. Though if you have enough money to run into that restriction, you could just pay someone to cable your place .

In any case, if you're in North America, Home Depot is probably the place to get this stuff. Not the cheapest, but they generally have the stuff in stock and it's easy to find. If you're going for price, scour eBay or ask around your local computer shops. Generally for residential setups you'll want a modular system. You buy a faceplate with 1-6 module sockets, and then the modules to go in them. Leviton makes a modular system that has modules for RJ-45 ethernet, RJ-11 phone, cable TV, speaker terminals and all sorts of stuff.

I'd recommend buying a punchdown tool if you're going to be doing a lot of this, especially if you're inexperienced with cabling. The problem is that the tool will probably cost you more than the supplies. I did my house with the Leviton system and no punchdown tool, but it's finicky, requires a very sharp knife, nimble hands, and a basic idea of how the tool is supposed to work so you can copy it by hand.

Good luck.

You certainly should keep the wires inside the cable where they belong, but in truth taking the wires out and removing all twists over a 100meter span still allows for pretty quick data transfer (i think we were at about 80something mbps when we did it in cisco class).
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com