Would this be ethical?

Say for instance I need two servers to run a single site.

Would it be possible to have 1server in one datacenter
    And then have the other server in another datacenter, both somehow connected to serve the website?

Or would it be best to have 2 servers in the same datacenter and connected somehow?

First, where is the ethics question?

Second, what type of speed do you need in between the servers? If you have each one in different datacenters, then you will have some redundancy, although, if you need BOTH for the site to operate, and it won't operate on just one, then you might as well have them in the same datacenter connected via cross-over wire/switch.
    James Lumby

Like lumbyjj said - where's the ethics question. You can host and distribute ANYWAY you like as long as you agree to and are in compliance with the ToS/AUP/SLA of all the data-centers where you are hosting.

I think you are looking at geographical redundancies - something akin to DRP backup.
    "I drink too much. The last time I gave a urine sample it had an olive in it. ".
    Rodney Dangerfield (from "I Get No Respect!").

Originally posted by lumbyjj
    First, where is the ethics question?

Second, what type of speed do you need in between the servers? If you have each one in different datacenters, then you will have some redundancy, although, if you need BOTH for the site to operate, and it won't operate on just one, then you might as well have them in the same datacenter connected via cross-over wire/switch.
    oh right i see. I would need both of them to run pretty much in sync with each other. Do most datacenters allow you to connect your servers together?

Yes... Most of them will allow you to connect them via a switch for a nominal fee..
    James Lumby

Maybe I should explain the situtation a little better and then I can think about what todo in the future.

I'm thinking about setting up an image host, allowing users to have their own account. In the future, if it proves a sucess, another server will be required to host all the new customers coming.

Now im a little unsure how I would procede, as the old server would be full and would not accept no new accounts, a new server will be needed for all the new accounts.

Would connecting them via switch be the best idea, or is there an alternate method? I understand knowledge of the hosting script may be usefull, but it will be in development shortly. (Allowing it to work cross server/hard drive).

What information do they need to exchange?? How fast and how often do they need to exchange it?
    James Lumby

I dont think they will need to actually exchange any data so to speak.
    A central Admin Control panel will be used to admin both servers.
    As well as a login area, depeding on your user name, will log you into the correct server (to enter into your image hosting account).

Then you probably don't need to have them connected, and you will probably not reap any benefits from having them in different datacenters..
    James Lumby

Ok thanks very much. I suppose some sort of method could be introduced, depending on what server the customers account is on, the server could look for the account, if its not found, the user is logged into the other server.

Would it still be possible to have both servers work using the same domain name/DNS?

Of course, you would just have subdomains, eg.

server1.domain.com
    server2.domain.com
    James Lumby

This is totaly normal thing.

What u do with server and bandwidth is your thing.

We have some (server at gnax and another at planet) similar case and it's working just fine.

N.

In web hosting, if you have multiple servers, you can have your billing software (depending on your software and cp of course) rotate accounts over different servers and or fill one server up and go to the next one.... It's not much different from that really... Shouldn't be too hard to write a single login script, seeing as really all you have to do is pull from a database which server a certain login is attached too and send the information there.....
    James Lumby

Yea, thats what I was thinking, but im wondering how im going to get the admin control panel for the script to work across multiple servers?
    Perphaps it would be easie if I just kept a seperate admin account per server.

Thanks for your time so far lumbyjj

Keep a database with what account is on what server and keep track of the servers via subdomain, have your script lookup what server the login is on and send the login info there.. Database should look something like the following:

username | password | server |

john | Doe | server1 |

Hope that makes sense..
    James Lumby