1u chassis recommendations

With all these AMD tour server bundles floating around, I thought I might pick one up and put a server together. Can anyone recommend a 1U chassis that will fit and cool a K8SE mobo with 2x 848 Opterons?

Also, has anyone looked at the Supermicro H8DCE? The specs say it'll fit for a 4U or mid-tower. Has anyone tried a fit in a 1U?

Regards, Ted.

No idea on the AMD bundle. I can't even find the H8DCE on supermicro's site. On AMDboard.com it says that the board is an extended ATX Form Factor board. I would assume that one of the 1U EATX cases might be able to hold it.

Cooling, on the other hand, may be a problem. It looks like most 1U cases that support dual xeon/opterons have the CPU's close to a rail with blowers. The image of the supermicro shows the cpu's at 90 degree angles, so one blower would be quite a distance from the heatsink it's supposed to cool.

Someone with more experience with these cases may have a better answer for you. I'm sure if there isn't one readily available right now, there will be shortly.
    Last edited by gamedyne; 07-25-2005 at 09:10 PM.

Thx for the reply.
    I've noticed that most mobos tagetted for 1U (lately?) have the CPU sockets side-by-side and not staggered like the K8SE. The Tyan K8SRE has this configuration. Unfortunately, I've got a K8SE.

There is a review of the Tyan Transport GX28 at hardwarezone DOT com that shows how Tyan cools a dual Opteron system in this configuration. I haven't found an equivalent chassis with 3 blowers. The following chassis look interesting: RM-C1D-DK8, RC-0102 and the RM117.

Anyone wanna swap their K8SRE for a K8SE?

Hopefully you can find someone to swap. I guess the worst case scenario is that you could always go to a 2U case for the board.

Good luck!

Originally posted by tcarter
    Thx for the reply.
    I've noticed that most mobos tagetted for 1U (lately?) have the CPU sockets side-by-side and not staggered like the K8SE. The Tyan K8SRE has this configuration. Unfortunately, I've got a K8SE.

There is a review of the Tyan Transport GX28 at hardwarezone DOT com that shows how Tyan cools a dual Opteron system in this configuration. I haven't found an equivalent chassis with 3 blowers. The following chassis look interesting: RM-C1D-DK8, RC-0102 and the RM117.

Anyone wanna swap their K8SRE for a K8SE?
    although K8SE is not as ideal as K8SRE in term of CPU layout for 1U, but if you can put a Dynatron A73 mini-blower cooler on the CPU closer to rear panel, then it's a decent solution to put K8SE in 1U case.

if you are willing to do some twickings, supermicro SC812i or SC813T case can take any Tyan Thunder dual Opteron board:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=301343
    otherwise Chenbro RM117 is your best bet.
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com

Interesting thread. I'll keep it in mind, since I've looked at all of the cases listed there for my equipment at one point or another.

Originally posted by cwl@apaqdigital
    although K8SE is not as ideal as K8SRE in term of CPU layout for 1U, but if you can put a Dynatron A73 mini-blower cooler on the CPU closer to rear panel, then it's a decent solution to put K8SE in 1U case.
    Thanks very much for the thread reference. This is an excellent article and I've found it very useful. My concern with adding the mini-blower is that it adds another fault-point to the system. I'll certainly consider this as an option if I move forward with the K8SE. Thanks again.

No matter which way you cut it, a miniblower will be a point of failure.. Even in chassis that have two or more in the front, if one goes out, you usually lose direct cooling on one of the CPUs.

Just as a follow-up to those following at home...

It looks like Chenbro is Tyan's 1U (other?) chassis supplier. For example, if you check-out Chenbro's site, you can find the air-ducting that's used in the Transport GX and GT series chassis. The bottom-line is that if you want to build an AMD-approved cooled 1U chassis, the parts are available to duplicate Tyan's solution. The question is: can you do it cheaper than a Tyan barebones? The answer... Dunno yet.