NJ/NY Colocation, 1000GB+ $80-150, Solid DC

Anyone know of any? I'm looking to have a server built by rackmountsetc.com (I'm not sure if there are any other alternatives, if there are let me know), and I'm looking to have quick and easy access from NJ and CT.

I'm thinking DedicatedNow, as that's in an ideal location. Any reviews?

Thanks,
    Scott
    xeet.com search - coming soon!

1000GB colo for $150 is a bit optimistic. I would either lower your bandwidth requirements, or increase your budget.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

I can get 1,200GB @ 99.95/month from DedNow.

I would look into your options a bit more before you make a decision. It has come up numerous times various issues with Dedicated Now (1 recently in the Dedicated Server forum) How much of that 1200 gb do you actually need? Would you rather get less but better quality for your budget? These are all things to consider depending on what you plan on using the server for.

I need all of that 1,200GB. There aren't many other options which are in my price range.

What is the server going to be used for?

Originally posted by xeet.com
    I need all of that 1,200GB. There aren't many other options which are in my price range.
    There's a reason that you can't find any other options in your price range... it's simply not realistic. Perhaps 500GB is more realistic at the $150 level.

There's a big difference in bandwidth pricing between Dedicated Server companies and Colocation, and if you are able to find 1000GB colo in the specified range, the quality is sure to suffer.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

You might look at Voxel/VoxRox. VoxRox has lower end servers with 1200 GB for $119/mo.

I would think you would be able to get a good quote from Voxel for colo at 1200GB on their "Cogent Value Network", which is the kind of network you should be looking for given your price requirements.

try orangefiber.com
    bye

Originally posted by xeet.com
    Well let's look at what you want:
    $80 - $150 and you actually need to push 1200GB, and it needs to be 'solid'.

1200GB, assuming average traffic patterns, would work out to be about 6Mbit. It could be even more if your traffic is bursty. So you are looking for a 'solid' provider to sell you 6Mbit, 2amps of power, 1U of space, and an ethernet drop for $80/mo. And provide support ;-)

Without going into needless detail that I'm sure others will be willing to do, this is simply not possible given what these things cost.

That's not to say that there won't be companies that are doing it ;-)

But you said you wanted a 'solid' provider. I assume your application is important. At the end of the day, do you want to end up with a solution that is causing your vendor to lose money on you if your solution is important and in need of a 'solid' provider?

I don't mean to pick on you, I just see these kind of requests and pricing all the time, and I think it's important that the average consumer educate themselves more regarding these issues.

1. 6Mbit IP traffic
    2. 2amps of power (safe bet for an average modern server,
    could be less)
    3. Ethernet drop
    4. Presumably 1U of space
    Raj Dutt // CEO // Voxel dot Net Inc
    http://www.voxel.net // [email protected]

Only place you'll get that cheap colo is cihost or orangefiber, and orangefiber isn't in NY/NJ. CiHOST is probably the Yugo of the webhosting/colo/dedicated server business world, and if you need a. acceptable support, b. decent network, or c. decent setup time, cihost won't do. Expect to pay a good bit more, i.e. $375 per month (crnc); $310 per month (151); or ask voxrox/voxel for a quote. I seriously doubt anyone can match that price, at any decent location or decent bandwidth.