Dedicated Servers UK or elsewhere?

I'm looking for dedicated server and am a complete newbie so would prob require a lot of initial support.

My question is, does anyone have any recommendations as regards hosting in the UK (where I am) or USA etc.

There seem to be some better offers in the USA than in the UK. But is it better to host where the sites are aimed at or does it not really make much difference.

If I was to go with hosting outside the USA telephone support would be out of the question so I guess I'd need good email 24/7 support...

I'm probably looking to spend around $100-$120.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

I know Gyron offer 24/7 support as well as 100% uptime.

If you are after those sort of guarantees from a respected company though you've got to be prepared to pay for it. Gyron certainly aren't the cheapest around but they do offer very good value for money.
    Kris - nitrohosting.net
    Premium Dell Windows/Linux dedicated servers in London
    Great value shared hosting & ADSL.
    PM/Email for no-obligation quotes.

I have just got off the phone with a person from Ukfast.

Apparently they have been awared the Best Business ISP and Best Hosting Provider awards, I'm not sure how hard these are to get, but I suppose it is something.

They have four UK based data centres, one in London and three in Manchester.

They may be worth a look. http://www.ukfast.net

Originally posted by Equentity - Jamie

They have four UK based data centres, one in London and three in Manchester.
    They rent racks/suites in those datacentres, they don't own them.

Do you have a source for that information dazmanultra? According to their Website.

Today, we operate four data centres, one in London and three in Manchester, providing web hosting, reseller programs, dedicated servers, domain name registration and high speed broadband to SMEs and PLCs - throughout the world.
    Operate suggests to me they own them, although I may be mistaken.

Well the only UK company I'd really look at is:

www.coreix.net

Originally posted by RossH
    Well the only UK company I'd really look at is:

www.coreix.net
    Why?
    www.tsohost.co.uk

Quality low cost UK based web hosting. Established 2003. Thousands of satisfied customers!

Re: Dedicated Servers UK or elsewhere?

Originally posted by Cathus
    I'm looking for dedicated server and am a complete newbie so would prob require a lot of initial support.

My question is, does anyone have any recommendations as regards hosting in the UK (where I am) or USA etc.
    You better go with a managed server if you describe yourself as "a complete newbie".

For UK hosting, you might consider (just a list, in no particular order):

iracks.com
    poundhost.com
    othellotech.net
    kualo.com

Regards,

I highly recommend http://www.clook.net for managed dedicated servers in the UK. You might want to e-mail their sales department as they don't offer servers on the site yet.

Other UK providers:
    http://www.xilo.net
    http://www.a2b2.com

If the server is just for personal use, then you can go for one in the US.

Why not try 1&1. They have a good support and reputations
    You stated that you are a newbie. Why do you need dedicated server. Most of the time, ppl buy dedicated server to host multiple website or one website but has a bigger traffic

I am a newbie to dedicated servers but not a newbie to resseling.

I've had a reseller account for about 6 years.

I have a couple of websites which apparently are causing server processor load problems... big forums, php-nuke so I want to put them on a dedicated server and move my other websites there also. I have about 20 websites most of which are really small.

I don't want to stay with my current provider as they have shafted me over a recent 'server overload' and just took the site down refusing to put it back up which appears against their terms and conditions.

I've looked at lots of UK providers, my question really was more to do with recommendations about whether to host in the UK or try USA/Europe as the prices seem to be a little cheaper outside the UK.

As I don't make much money (most of my reseller stuff is done at cost for friends) cost is a major factor.

But thanks for the suggestions so far!!

I'd suggest something USA personally, a nice 64bit AMD server should do the trick
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Originally posted by davidaus
    Why not try 1&1. They have a good support and reputations
    You stated that you are a newbie. Why do you need dedicated server. Most of the time, ppl buy dedicated server to host multiple website or one website but has a bigger traffic
    Not in the UK however. German I believe.

Do not suggest 1and1 though ..
    It's Scott!

Quote Originally Posted by dazmanultra
    They rent racks/suites in those datacentres, they don't own them.
    Time to dig-up a really old thread. But actually, thats not true - where did you get your sources?
    Rob Greenwood
    RedHat Certified, Unix Consultant
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/bilco105

Quote Originally Posted by Bilco105
    Time to dig-up a really old thread. But actually, thats not true - where did you get your sources?
    I believe dazmanultra is correct, ukfast rent space/suites and don't own the DCs in question. If you know otherwise then please enlighten us.

I would choose a provider in the USA at the present time but you may find some good deals on UK servers in the Offers Forum, but you might want to test their support first.
    ManageMyServices was sold by me in September 2009. I no longer have any affiliation with this company.

Quote Originally Posted by Laws
    I would choose a provider in the USA at the present time but you may find some good deals on UK servers in the Offers Forum, but you might want to test their support first.
    Please remember this thread is one year old.