What host is best for these circumstances...

I'm in an ameteur (although hopefully not for long) band that needs some webspace.

The things we're looking for are:

At least 5 POP emails.
    As much bandwidth as possible (for song up/downloading etc so needs to be quite a bit)
    As much disk space too (again, songs etc on the site hopefully)
    PHP and MySQL
    A domain name included.
    FTP transfer (not a web based one, I like to use Filezilla).
    No advertising.

We're up for paying as long as it's not too much. But I've got no real idea of prices so if anyone could give me a rough price range for it for a year or two, even if you can't suggest specific hosts, we'd be grateful.

Thom and Epoche.

welcome to wht.

it would help if you knew approximate space and transfer needed.

then, look through the advertising section here, to get an idea of the prices.

even if a host does not advertise "domain name included", just ask.
    Last edited by CD Burnt; 07-25-2005 at 09:10 AM.
    Sneaky Little Hobbitses

Welcome Epoche.

To be honest, almost any host could help you out with what you are after. To stand any chance in having a decent host, you are going to have to spend some money.

On average, how large are your music files?

There are plenty of hosts around here to choose from, just lurk a little around the advertising forums, and watch out for reviews from satisfied or maybe not so satisfied customers.

Hard to recommend a host. Are you expecting a lot of visitors to your site or are you a small band hoping to build to a bigger site eventually. As noted, there are a lot of hosts that could fit your bill. Expect to pay about $100/yr for a premium web host with a few GB storage and 50-75GB data transfer/month. That cost includes the cost of a domain name that I recommend you buy separate from the hosting plan and manage yourself just to keep things clean if you ever have to switch hosts.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

Epoche, is there anyway i can contact you? E-Mail, AIM, MSN ect? We may have simular interests

From my research there are tons of hosts that will give you LOADS AND LOADS of bandwidth and space, but in exchange, the stability of the host is then usaully very poor. Either that or the overall speed of the hosts connection is poor.
    Last edited by Typhon-Alex; 07-25-2005 at 09:41 AM.
    http://www.go-typhon.com
    Awsome CHEAP Plans!
    PHP4 & PHP5! IRC! CPanel! Game Servers! 24/7 Support!
    E-Mail: a.vanino@go-typhon.com

At first I doubt we'll get many hits, hopefully, that'll grow though.

The file sizes are all between about 5MB and 10MB, 15MB maximum.

Also, the only reason that we wanted a domain name included is just for ease. Unless anything goes drastically wrong with the server that we choose, I doubt we'll want to change hosts.

I'll check out the advertising and review forums, if anyone has any other tips/suggestions, feel free to let us know. Cheers.

Originally posted by Typhon-Alex
    Epoche, is there anyway i can contact you? E-Mail, AIM, MSN ect? We may have simular interests

From my research there are tons of hosts that will give you LOADS AND LOADS of bandwidth and space, but in exchange, the stability of the host is then usaully very poor. Either that or the overall speed of the hosts connection is poor.
    It won't let me PM/Email you.

Thanks for the tip about bandwidth/space though.

Originally posted by Epoche
    It won't let me PM/Email you.

Thanks for the tip about bandwidth/space though.
    You need 5 posts to use email and PM. Take a look at the rules page on this site. My E-Mail is a.vanino@go-typhon.com
    http://www.go-typhon.com
    Awsome CHEAP Plans!
    PHP4 & PHP5! IRC! CPanel! Game Servers! 24/7 Support!
    E-Mail: a.vanino@go-typhon.com

Hi!
    There are indeed zillions of hosts that could offer you a deal. Personally, I have researched the customer feedback of a bunch of major companies, and also opened accounts with the "best" ones; ie. those with the best customer ratings.
    There's for instance Micfo.... Site5... and DreamHost ... and InMotion Hosting - that I can recommend from personal experience.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Originally posted by Nadabrahma
    There's for instance Micfo.... Site5... and DreamHost ... and InMotion Hosting - that I can recommend from personal experience.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Cheers, I'm looking at them now and they all seem pretty good.

Dream host looks really good... am looking to add webhost because current webhost has grown increasingly unreliable (lots of downtime over past few months). Found this site through a member recommendation.

Can a dream host current/ex customer tell me top 2 or 3 features they liked and disliked about dream host?

Thanks very much,
    janec