* Unlimited Crack Down

Crackdown on "unlimited" plans

Consumer Affairs Victoria has warned ISPs that using the word "unlimited" to describe broadband plans that slow to dialup speeds is unacceptable.

"Following a number of complaints, Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) has initiated inquiries into the advertising practices of internet service providers (ISPs), and in particular the use of the word "unlimited" to describe broadband services," said Consumer Affairs Minister Marsha Thomson.

"The investigation found many ISPs were promoting offers of 'unlimited broadband downloads', when in fact download limits...applied. This often meant users were restricted to speeds similar to that of the slower dial-up services once this limit was reached."

Ms Thomson said that CAV has contacted a number of ISPs outlining their concerns over the use of "unlimited" in their promotional material. Well known ISPs that promote their plans in this way are Telstra BigPond, TPG, OptusNet, Netspace, WestNet and People Telecom.

CAV began its investigation earlier this year, when Primus launched an "unlimited" broadband plan with only 500MB of downloads before it slowed to dialup speeds. Following a complaint from Whirlpool, Primus agreed to stop using the word "unlimited" to describe its plans, and removed all traces of the term from its website and print advertising.

"A leading ISP has withdrawn some advertisements and, verbally agreed to refrain from using the word 'unlimited' until they have guidance from authorities under which circumstances if any the use of the word is acceptable," Ms Thomson said.

CAV has asked consumers to report any "potential misleading or deceptive advertising" via 1300 55 8181 or through its website.

source:- http://www.whirlpool.net.au

about time somebody started to do something, I have always maintained that once you introduce conditions of any discription then by definition it can't be unlimited. This holds equally true for Web-Hosting as well as ISP's

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Interesting...I wonder if they'll ever start doing that for Web Hosting plans.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Comcast had to stop saying unlimited because they had "invisible caps".

Re: Unlimited Crack Down

Originally posted by TheDoctor
    . . . about time somebody started to do something, I have always maintained that once you introduce conditions of any discription then by definition it can't be unlimited. This holds equally true for Web-Hosting as well as ISP's
    Hear hear!!
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Yeah if I lived in Vic right now I would report Vodafone. Saw that news on Whirlpool last night.

They offer thier GPRS unlimited data service for cell and laptops, then they limit you to a fair use policy of 500 meg of download a month.

Originally posted by Rob83
    We haven't had too much trouble with Comcast yet, and probably pull around 5-8 gig a month through our connection (3 computers hooked up to the router). It may be more actually - hard to tell watching music videos / online TV stations all the time.

It's good to see the Australian watchdogs are cracking down on that though. I remember checking the 'fine print' on those connections and being horrified with the limits they set - especially given all the unlit cable in Australia.

They tend to advertise as if they're offering what the US customer takes for granted, but if fact it's no where near that.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

I don't ever have problems with my ISP and I'm constantly downloading stuff. Guess I have a good company

Originally posted by Sting13
    I don't ever have problems with my ISP and I'm constantly downloading stuff. Guess I have a good company
    It's not that people are having problems with their ISP, it's that the ISP's are using misleading and or false information in their advertising. There is no such thing as "Unlimited" yet ISP's and Web-Hosts are still using this word and in a nut shell that is lying, or at the very least highly misleading. A little bit like Henry Ford say you could have any colour you wanted as long as it was black.

Doc
    Last edited by TheDoctor; 07-25-2005 at 11:32 AM.
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

comcast has caps? they never complained to me whenever
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Supposedly, but yeah, I've never been 'capped' yet either.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

My current plan through BigPond allows 10gb whereas they have a 20gb "unlimited" plan that is limited to 20gb... the plan is called unlimited yet limited quite blatantly - you have to pay an additional amount for each mb over 20gb.

My plan after 10gb is limited by speed but does not cost more,... i.e. no extra usage charges.

It is flagrant false advertising/misleading - I'm not stupid enough to get caught and they do make it quite obvious when you look at the detail but it's really unacceptable that they are permitted to do this.

I find that this sort of practise is far more acceptable in Australia than in New Zealand. In New Zealand the Commerce Commission (similar to the ACCC) is far more strict, as they should be.

Originally posted by Techark
    Yeah if I lived in Vic right now I would report Vodafone. Saw that news on Whirlpool last night.

They offer thier GPRS unlimited data service for cell and laptops, then they limit you to a fair use policy of 500 meg of download a month.
    500meg for gprs?!

How much a month is that? In the UK Vodafone charges about 25 (about US$45) per month for 20mb per month, and then 2.50 per MB extra!
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

They charge $49.95 a month but advertise it as unlimited.

Not bad really for GPRS but still the unlimited advertising then finding out they limit you surprised me.

Originally posted by akashik
    We haven't had too much trouble with Comcast yet, and probably pull around 5-8 gig a month through our connection (3 computers hooked up to the router). It may be more actually - hard to tell watching music videos / online TV stations all the time.

It's good to see the Australian watchdogs are cracking down on that though. I remember checking the 'fine print' on those connections and being horrified with the limits they set - especially given all the unlit cable in Australia.

They tend to advertise as if they're offering what the US customer takes for granted, but if fact it's no where near that.
    Most cable companies cap you at excessive bandwidth usage. Usually those top 200 odd users that are eating up the lines. I know Charter goes after those who are running websites off their lines, and the top usage people.
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

Originally posted by stealthdevil
    500meg for gprs?!

How much a month is that? In the UK Vodafone charges about 25 (about US$45) per month for 20mb per month, and then 2.50 per MB extra!
    Wow, that's even more expensive than New Zealand, as a comparable plan we get 15mb for $25 NZ ($17ish US) and every 1mb over is $1.50 (about $1 US). Still way too expensive - there are no affordable mobile data solutions in New Zealand, sounds like the UK is the same?

And if you're more expensive than New Zealand you definitely have a problem... given that it is one of the most expensive markets for telco's anywhere!

I run a music website so I am constantly uploading and downloading very large files. I have never been capped, and I transfer insane amounts of bandwidth...

(Before all the PMs like last time, its a RoIO website which is 100% legal.. thanks)
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

Originally posted by Rob83
    I knew that, i have comcast