Nameserver: Unable to validate IP

Dear all,

I have just moved all my hosted domains on my dedicated server to a new server in a new datacentre. Everything is running fine on the server, but this morning all the sites disappeared in the sense that the DNS can no longer find them in their new home.

What can I do?

Last week everything was transferred from Server1 to server 2. When all was ok, I updated my nameservers to point to the new IP's (I did this through the control panel of my domain registrar). OVer the weekend I had a lot of people say they couldnt find the sites, but slowly as their ISP's DNS's updated they could find them again.

Now this morning, everything has dissappeared.

Any ideas? Did I miss something I should have done?

How should I have gone about changing ns1 and ns2.mydomain.com to point to the new IP addresses ?
    FishFood Media :: fastfood for a hungry church
    Hosting, web design, video production and media resources for Christians.

I'll bet if you look in the 'root' WHM > Edit DNS > any account, you'll see that the account is not using your Nameservers.

For a quick DNS check you should use: http://dnsreport.com/
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

hmmm,

I'm really ignorant on these things to be honest. But I went into WHM, and went to Edit a DNS Zone (is that what you meant). I chose a few domains and they all look fine to my untrained eye except for one bit.

The nameservers are listed as ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com are fine, and the IP address of the server is listed correctly.

However, right at the top of the page, across the first line of info above where it says Serial number, the hostname of the server is the old one, not the new one, and is prefixed by root.

Basically I've changed from sv1.mydomain.com to sv2.mydomain.com and the entry there still says root.sv1.mydomain.com

Is that the culprit?

You're pretty close.

Above 'Serial number' and to the left, there is an input box that should be using your NS1.mydomain.com. The input box to the right of that, prefixed by 'root.whatever.com', is the eMail address used by the Server. It should match whatever you put in:
    WHM > Server Configuration > Basic cPanel/WHM Setup > Server Contact E-Mail Address

right. the fog is lifting slowly from my eyes!

the box which should contain ns1.mydomain.com does indeed contain that. So I guess all is ok there.

Bizarely enough all domains are resolving again ok for me, but not for some of my customers.

Aaarrggghhhh! have you ever had one of those monday's?

Important point I forgot to mention. whenever editting your DNS enteries and using a Domain name / Nameserver, make sure it ends with a period.

ns1.mydomain.com.

If Domains are starting to resolve then most likely you have found the problem. Will just take time, for the rest to start resolving as well. Good troubleshooting.