Thread: Recommendations

Hi all,

I've been looking through a lot of companies, and everybody and their grandmother seems to have nothing but IDE drives or if they have SCSI, they dont' have unmetered bandwidth. Can anyone recommend a good company for something like this:

Dual Xeon 2.4+
    2x73 GB SCSI (optional RAID 1)
    2 GB DDR RAM (or faster - ECC etc.)
    Unmetered 10 or 20 Mbps
    Windows 2003 standard
    MS SQL Server 2000 options
    IP addresses - 5 or so - less important - 3 minimum
    Decent SLA - 99.5%+
    * Optional web analysis software (not free stuff - something like Urchin or
    ClickTracks is good)

I'm really most interested in the companies - I've heard great things about CrystalTech and ServerMatrix, but there are far too many out there and I just don't want to get burned. The above is a ballpark of what I need - any recommendations on companies?

I'm having a real hard time tracking something like that down. I thought it would be easier... Silly me

Thanks for any input,

Indiana, US
    What kind of budget do you have for this server?

Not too worried

I'm not too worried about the budget - I'm more worried about reliability.

But, I'd like to keep things under $1,000 a month if possible. Less is always better, but you get what you pay for as well.

Indiana, US
    Well you're definetly on the right track with that budget. But I think providers like Rackspace will actually charge you more than $1k (because of the high bandwidth requirements).

New York City
    Are you looking for managed services as well? That's a decent budget for that system, and you should have no problem getting what you want.

Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at] / [direct] 212-812-4194

I'm hitting a wall with everyone offering boxes with IDE drives, or if they have SCSI, bandwidth is metered.

Any suggestions on decent hosts/providers?

North Yorkshire, UK

I'm starting the emailings/contacts now. I've got an offer in email, and waiting for a couple others. Still looking of course. Need to do my homework before I jump the gun anywhere. I'd have an easier time setting up a DAW or NLE I think.