Question Reliable Reseller?

Ok,

I may possibly be in the market for a reseller account. I have learned alot of things this year in terms of hosts. First and foremost Support is top of my list, second is server response times and uptimes. Then Package Benefits, then price.

So what is a fast server response time? What is Average? What is slow?

In response to the above questions what companies consistently fall in the fast and average categories and how can i research that?

What is a fair diskspace to bandwidth ratio?
    Do most quality resellers offer modern bill or some sort of auto billing system?

How exactly do i test and research support? Obviously i can read through threads here but what else?

What companies would you guys say are the top 5?

I would like to keep it under $60
    at least 20gb+ of disk space
    Cpanel
    No domain parking or pointing restrictions
    WHM or some sort of manager for reselling
    quick live support
    money back garauntee's
    no setup fees
    fantastico if available
    consistent server uptime

I guess everything else is gravy.
    Menttal

"Diplomacy is the art of saying, "Nice doggie!"...until you can find a big stick."

You might run into problems trying to find a really reliable reseller provider @ $60- for 20GB+ . This kind of price is usually the realm of budget providers - some of whom might turn out to be just as reliable and good as any of the big names, but your chances are slimmer. Money back guarantee is also not something that all respected providers offer.

My top 3 list:

Site5 (customer for ~ 6 months)

- 20 Gb/150Gb
    - $74.99/mo (a little over your budget)
    - no quick live support (support via e-mail/ticket - 15 minute average response)
    - active forums and great uptime

HostingZoom (customer for ~ 1 month)

- 20Gb/300Gb
    - $99.95/mo (way over your budget)
    - quick live support available (very good by the way)
    - end user support (never tried)

BliksemHosting (never tried)

- 18Gb/175Gb
    - $64.99
    - quick live support (not sure)
    - less than 10 users per server ("semi-dedicated")

All 3 offer cPanel, no domain parking pointing restrictions, WHM, money back guarantee, no setup fees, fantastico and consistent server uptime records.

Good luck!
    Last edited by ACcomunica; 07-25-2005 at 07:29 AM.
    ACcomunica

I was searching around and found out VPS plans may be a great deal for you:

Liquid Web (never tried)

- 20Gb/200Gb
    - $60.00/mo
    - no quick live support (toll free phone support)
    - Virtuozzo

PowerVPS (never tried)

- 20Gb/150Gb
    - $62.50/mo
    - no quick live support (ticket support)
    - Virtuozzo

Servint (never tried)
    - 20Gb/350Gb
    - $89.00/mo
    - no quick live support (phone and e-mail support)
    - Virtuozzo

You must consider other aspects when coosing a VPS solution. Features like memory and burstable memory are very important.

Good luck!
    Last edited by ACcomunica; 07-25-2005 at 07:55 AM.
    ACcomunica

If you're willing to go VPS, then you might want to consider a2b2.com as well. $35 for 30GB ($42.5 with cpanel):
    http://a2b2.com/index.php?topic=48.0
    Online chat is an option, but not 24x7 (currently).
    Although I signed up with them over a month ago I can't report on them yet as I haven't really started using the account.

I recommend Eagerhost.com (customer for 3 months)

- 20 Gb space/200Gb trasfer
    - $49.95/month
    - live support (support via e-mail, live chat, phone)

Very good host, great uptime!

Hope it helps!
    Andrés Chávez
    All in Hosting - Web hosting in spanish
    *Shared hosting - Reseller plans - Managed VPS*

7. This plans look good take any1

Originally posted by HasGreatDane
    If you're willing to go VPS, then you might want to consider a2b2.com as well. $35 for 30GB ($42.5 with cpanel):
    http://a2b2.com/index.php?topic=48.0
    Online chat is an option, but not 24x7 (currently).
    Although I signed up with them over a month ago I can't report on them yet as I haven't really started using the account.
    Rus knows what he's doing Highly recommended for anyone needs VPS

Hi Gate2vn =) Maybe you know me, i am the guy with reseller in helm , cpanel and direct admin =)

If you are with him, they are great because you have good ping times and connection =)

how do i test the ping times of a host on my own or do i have to wait to get that info from them?
    Menttal

"Diplomacy is the art of saying, "Nice doggie!"...until you can find a big stick."

Well, i use some methods:

a) Go to the shell of MSDOS and write ping or tracert www.hostdomain.com and his dns.

b) Go to www.dnsstuff.com and check the times in tracert and ping

c) when i have specific needs, write a *.BAT file who create a RESULT.TXT file and send to friends in ither place by messenger. Normally i have good feedback.

By the way, in my specific case the only thing i dont like in one of my domains, is with tracert others can check i am reseller. Check this link:

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/tracert.ch?ip=clip7.com

In this case clip7 is a site i donated space, no a real customer, in a helm server under gate2vn. In this case i cant be see myself, but the customer can know i make deals with venus.3inetwork.com ; IMHO Gate2vn is one of the bests in the industry for REAL support, only the tracert show the venus, mercury or pluto servers; anyway 99.9% of the customers are not capable of enter in dnsstuff.com, and the other .1 % get hosted in one of my more secure ( in tracert terms ) resellers.

But dont some of the hosts not even run their main sites on their own servers that they use for their customers?
    Menttal

Large Question. For a baby reseller you cant afford the full cost of a dedicated server, or a VPS. And, many times, 90% of the hoster providers are cheaters,

You have in game your reputation. Then need know where you go. NOBODY have at the first the funds to go the best and the same time the knowledge to choose a good one.

As Example: I begin some years ago in a good reseller called bright-byte. They have excellent service last years, now too. I have with them a .75 gb dsk 7.5 bandwidth for 9 at month.

But they are in cyberwurx, probably in a vps ( around 10 - 200 ) or a dedicated server. Myself like having many resellers instead a vps or a Dedicated, for security and redundancy.

Example of the food chain here (example with global compass):

1) Datacenter - Globalcompass, the planet, ev1, gnax, attrivo
    2) Distributor or Dedicated provider - Cyberwurx and other two
    3) reseller ( often seek in a dedicated server customer )
    4) shared hosting - the final user.

This is a oversimplified map. Some of the datacenter (DC) sell direct resellers and have not distributors. Some distributors sell reseller too. Some resellers sell of his dedicated servers, and have around 2.5 in my scale.

Example, in brightbyte reseller i have, i am in level 4:
    Global compass- cyberwurx - brightbyte - Mine

But in a specific reseller i go to cyberwurx for price and something more cheaper than bright-byte. I sign globalcompass-cyberwurx-mine new server. ( level 3)

If you are a beginner, IMHO Bright-byte is the BEST and stable.

Maybe in gazzin can be more direct but no the excelent perfomance than BrightByte. Attrivo- Gazzin- You.

I can explain more if u want.

Edit clarify.
    Last edited by Aorozco; 07-27-2005 at 07:23 PM.