lsass.exe <--what can I do?

When I start up my computer, that come on.
    lass.exe
    System Error
    An invalid HANDLE was specificed

I don't have any backup disk with me at all or anything to reformat this Window XP computer with. What can I do?

Re: lsass.exe <--what can I do?

Originally posted by indiaberry
    When I start up my computer, that come on.
    lass.exe
    System Error
    An invalid HANDLE was specificed

I don't have any backup disk with me at all or anything to reformat this Window XP computer with. What can I do?
    Try googling it?

http://www.liutilities.com/products/...slibrary/lass/

"lass - lass.exe - Process Information

Process File: lass or lass.exe
    Process Name: Troj.Bdoor.AKM

Description:
    lass.exe is a process which is registered as the Troj.Bdoor.AKM Trojan. This Trojan allows attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. It is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately. Please see additional details regarding this process"

Anyway, either don't use Windows, or don't download things that you can't verify are from a safe source.

Is he talking about lsass.exe or lass.exe ? lsass.exe is a valid windows process.

lsass.exe <--I am talking about that.

This sounds like a valid reason to grab a warezed copy of windows off the internet. You already legally own the software, you're not doing any harm to microsoft by downloading it.

Originally posted by indiaberry
    lsass.exe <--I am talking about that.
    Ooooh, big difference. :_-) I see now that the post's message body and post's subject were different. Obviously disregard my post then.

isn't lsass to do with System Restore??

try disabling that

Funny thing is that there was a Kim Komando tip of the day on this, today!! I couldn't find it on her website to link to it, but her website is http://komando.com (don't misspell komando)...

Problems with lsass.exe

Q. My kids were playing on my computer while I was at work. Now I get a system error message saying lsass.exe object name not found. When I click the OK box or just close it, the computer reboots and the same screen shows up again. Please, please, please help me!

A. Yikes! There are two possibilities if you're getting the message "lsass.exe Ė System Error 'Object name not found.'" The first is Sasser. This worm was at large mostly around the summer of 2004. But it can still easily hurt a Windows XP or 2000 system without current updates.

Sasser forces you to reboot. And it doesn't allow enough time for you to get updates when Windows restarts. Using another computer, obviously, print out Microsoft's procedure for eradicating Sasser. The steps are long and detailed. Follow up by using a firewall and updating your anti-virus software and Windows. There is more on that below, so donít stop reading.

The second possibility is that you really do have a missing system file. In that case, you can try a repair installation of Windows. To do it, you'll need your original Windows installation CD. You can boot your computer using the CD and replace the file.

If your computer will not boot from the CD drive, you might need to change a BIOS setting. To do that, you must enter Setup. That is accessed by pressing a particular key during start-up. Usually, a message appears on the screen explaining how to do that. Your computer manual should also explain this procedure.

Once inside Setup, find the boot order. Move the CD higher in the order than the C: drive.

Insert your installation CD, and restart the computer. When you receive the message "Press any key to boot from the CD," press Enter. Go get a fresh cup of coffee. Windows will take several minutes to load. Eventually, you will get a Welcome to Setup screen with three options. Take the first, to "setup Windows now."

The setup will detect your existing installation of Windows. Select your installation in the list and press R. This will start repairs and system file replacements.

The repair uses the Windows files on your installation CD. You may be missing critical Windows updates after the repair is completed.

Before updating Windows, activate the Windows XP firewall. Click Start>>Control Panel. Double-click Network Connections. Right-click your connection and click Properties. Select the Advanced tab. Enable the firewall and click OK.

To update, click Start>>All Programs>>Windows Update. Install all updates marked Security or Critical.

Then, refer to my tutorial on Internet safety. Follow all instructions there to avoid future problems. And while I bet you already have, talk to your kids about using your computer.

Ever want to be a journalist? You can, if you have a camera phone. Thatís the topic of todayís Computer Minute. Be sure to tune in on a radio station near you. And if you donít know the station, use our handy dandy map.

Hope this helps. I'll see you tomorrow with another great tip!
    Kim
    He arose!

I just repaired my windows when this happened, no big deal.

It didn't reboot my computer when I push the button. It continue to my window log in screen.
    Two hours from the time I post this thread, I found a way to fix it. When the window screen was starting up, I pushed F7 and F8 at the same time as I didn't know which one of those two I was suppose to touch. And then I click the last configuration that work.
    Then when i start up my computer again, I don't see that error anymore.

Get linux hehe

This happened to me once.

DO NOT DO A SYSTEM RESTORE, CHANCES ARE YOU WILL GET INFECTED AGAIN.

What I did?

1. Ran Windows Anti-spyware
    2. Adaware
    3. Spyware Search and Destroy
    4. NOD32 Anti-virus w/latests definitions
    5. Rebooted
    6. Ran Hijackthis!
    7. Deleted all the Windows Registry entries I found to be virus, spyware, etc.

My computer is clean and I have more than a year without doing an OS restore.

Francisco
    ^_^