Network Solutions - Anyone here buy anything from them?

I just saw a Network Solutions ad banner on WHT and was wondering if anyone here buys anything from them? I frankly don't see value in their services as a small vendor and would think that their target audience would be enterprise users...

Does anyone buy services from them? Maybe I need to reconsider...

Hah. The last time I bought anything from NetSol was six years ago. That was my first domain name, and I only bought it there because I didn't understand that that wasn't the only place you could buy domains. NetSol and Verio are good at targetting dumb*** users, that's for sure.

Yeah I have a domain there. Their rather overpriced, but other than that their fine for domains. Also keep in mind how many enterprises visit WHT.

I too bought my first domain there 7 years ago for $35 per year.... Until I learned more about the Internet and got serious about this web business. Never again I have I been back to their site since transferring that domain away from their service.

Quote Originally Posted by ITWeb LLC
    I too bought my first domain there 7 years ago for $35 per year.... Until I learned more about the Internet and got serious about this web business. Never again I have I been back to their site since transferring that domain away from their service.
    Precisely my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by SniperDevil
    Precisely my experience.
    Same here!

I thought godaddy was shady because of cheap price compare to
    Network Solutions.

I remember buying more than 100 domains within one week of
    opening godaddy account :-)

Back then, deleteddomains.com was free service.

I have a new design customer who purchased about a dozen domains and a year of hosting from Net Sol at the advice of the guy who was working with him at the time. The domains are overpriced, the hosting is slow and the hosting panel is horrible, in my opinion. Get this, you can't password protect your root Web account. That's right, you can't even put it in place by hand. They don't suppor this feature. You can protect folders inside your account, but not the htdocs folder.

I was floored by this idiocy!

Their technical support staff is excellent. They answer the phones quickly, and they are very polite and efficient. Too bad they are overpriced and they underperform.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm
    I have a new design customer who purchased about a dozen domains and a year of hosting from Net Sol at the advice of the guy who was working with him at the time. The domains are overpriced, the hosting is slow and the hosting panel is horrible, in my opinion. Get this, you can't password protect your root Web account. That's right, you can't even put it in place by hand. They don't suppor this feature. You can protect folders inside your account, but not the htdocs folder.

I was floored by this idiocy!

Their technical support staff is excellent. They answer the phones quickly, and they are very polite and efficient. Too bad they are overpriced and they underperform.
    FYI you can pw protect the web root.

I bought and lost my first domain there also. I'll never give them money again. I have quite a few domains there now, bought at SnapNames auctions. They'll be gone before I renew them at NetSol.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday J
    FYI you can pw protect the web root.
    Of course you can!!! Just read the htaccess manual pages.

However, I think that the_pm meant 'you can't pw protect your webroot using their control panel'. Is it so, the_pm?
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

I also bought my first domain there for $70 for two years, but that was the going rate in 1997. Since my organization paid the fees, I just kept it there because I thought the service was good. Did not use them for hosting though.

I think that major companies that can't afford anything at all to go wrong with their corporate sites will stay with domain registrars like Network Solutions. If your job is on the line if a domain gets lost, you don't care about saving 10-20 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by baxters
    If your job is on the line if a domain gets lost, you don't care about saving 10-20 bucks.
    Which aren't yours...
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Marsh
    Of course you can!!! Just read the htaccess manual pages.

However, I think that the_pm meant 'you can't pw protect your webroot using their control panel'. Is it so, the_pm?
    Actually, You can pw protect the root from the control panel. Their "security center" is set up where you can select any directory, including the web root, for pw protection.