Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Hookah?

Anybody Hookah?

Hi all,

A friend of mine would like to know if I want to go to a local Hookah bar with him.
    I'm the type of person who doesn't smoke(or drink).

However, I have read things about the hookah that say it isn't nearly as bad as cigarettes, and doesn't contain nocotine.
    We would be smoking tobacco, not the other commonly burned substance.

So, I would like to give it a try. Simply because I think it would be an interesting experience.

Anybody have any opinions on these things?
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

Well I do smoke (Cigarettes) so that might make me a little biast, but I love hooka. The hooka bars around here are a blast and it isn't really anything like smoking a cigarette. It's much more smooth and mellow and they have a ton of great flavors.

From what I have been told the health risks are compeltely different from cigarettes as well (not nearly as much of a health risk) and I believe there is no nicotine at all because I can smoke quite a bit of hooka with friends, and still be feining for a cigarette while doing it.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

I used to smoke hookah quite a bit. I really love the stuff and the hookah bars here are awesome (our favorite got shut down because the land lord didn't like it). I'm considering purchasing one but I'm not sure if I'd be able to use it considering the laws in new york about smoking indoors.

Re: Anybody Hookah?

Originally posted by jasong
    Hi all,

A friend of mine would like to know if I want to go to a local Hookah bar with him.
    I'm the type of person who doesn't smoke(or drink).

However, I have read things about the hookah that say it isn't nearly as bad as cigarettes, and doesn't contain nocotine.
    We would be smoking tobacco, not the other commonly burned substance.

So, I would like to give it a try. Simply because I think it would be an interesting experience. znp: Go Now

Anybody have any opinions on these things?
    Hookah is one of the best things out there. Go for strawberry hookah if possible. It tastes like those strawberry-wrapper hard candies taht taste really good. Also, it goes through water, which makes the smoke much nicer. I suggest doing something that relaxes or excites your a lot before smoking hookah (marijuana is good, but since you don't smoke: coffee, red bull, relaxation tea's, light alcohol [very little]).
    It's *almost* impossible to cough smoking hookah, but it's possible. If you even think you're going to cough, stop immidiatly, because it can make the experience slightly unpleasent.

EDIT: Also having something smooth to drink enhances the experience. I suggest "Yogi Tea: kava kava" which has a lovely aftertaste, or something that's not too sweet, or too bitter. Soda is not recommended. Teas, grapefruit juice, cranberry juice, orange juice, and eggnog are the best.
    Last edited by Cserver; 07-24-2005 at 10:42 PM.

I have never heard of this "hookah" stuff.
    What is it? Do we have this in the US ?

Think of it as flavored tobaccoo. It is usually found in bars, but just about any place can have it (killer coffee shop by me with wifi and hooka!). You smoke it out of a water bong usually with a few friends at a table.

We most certainly have it in the US, if you're 18 or over it's completely legal.
    Mike from Zoodia.com

WoW, I have never heard of it. but of course I dont
    smoke so I really wouldnt know anything about it.

Hookah tobacco is a natural form of tobacco, in a gooey type stuff (think loose jello) that has a flavor in it. It's completely legal, and is smoked on a hookah. A hookah is a device that has four main parts, the bowl, the ashtray (not the correct name, ditto for the next two), the base, and the tube. The bowl is on top, and that is where the hookah tobacco is placed. ashtray is used either for the tobacco, or the the remaining ash (which is rare). The base contains water, and an outlet for the tube. THe tube is what you put your mouth on, and is somewhat like a blowthing (like the one you inflate bouncey balls with). After placing the tobacco on the bowl, you add a hookah coal. You light the hookah coal, and then inhale during lighting. When it's burning nicely, you should be able to taste a flavor when inhaling. Towards the end, you'll need to push around the coal (hookahs have pincher type things for holding the tobacco, and pushing the coal), to get the most smoke out of it.

On smoking: There are two methods to "hitting" a hookah. The first is a somewhat short (10-15 sec) hard inhale of the smoke. The advantage is less hookah is wasted (but it's cheap?), and it's easier for newbies *sic*. The preferred method is a *very* long inhale, preceeded by expelling all air from the lungs, and then inhaling very slowly, taking (40sec[new]-90sec[me]) slow, but huge "hits." The advantage to this is more smoke (euphoria!) and the very lovely taste all over your tounge. Music is a very good idea, and friends are necessary for an excellent experience. I personally own a hookah, and my room smells like strawberry and incence. Jenga is my game of choice during hookah smoking.

In short: HOOKAH ROCKS. It's like eating candy that makes you very happy. But doesn't decrease thinking/motor skills.

Originally posted by doot
    WoW, I have never heard of it. but of course I dont
    smoke so I really wouldnt know anything about it.
    I have a decent amount of non-smoking friends that have tried it and all enjoy it. It's more like "flavored smoke" than anything else really. Think of it as the non-alcoholic pina coloda and a cigarette as a dark beer.
    Mike from Zoodia.com

Please, nobody delude yourselves into thinking that tobacco smoke (from any source, through any delivery method) doesn't contain nicotine, carbon monoxide and carcinogens. The water doesn't magically filter this stuff out. Smoke is a particulate, isn't it? And you still get smoke through a hookah, right? Then all the constituent parts of that smoke are present, only in somewhat reduced amounts. The particulates where the bubble meets the water are the only ones filtered, the rest pass directly through to your lungs with less filtration than a cotton cigarette filter would provide (although you could put one on the hookah tip). It feels cleaner because it's been cooled, not because it's been scrubbed! Lung cancer, mouth cancer and throat cancer are just as big a risk as they are for any other form of tobacco consumption.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

Not at all. Tobacco cigarettes have many other concerns, added carcinogens, tar, nicotine, etc. Also, warm water in a hookah feels/tastes much better than cold. It's not safe, but it's probably about as healthy as breathing air in Mexico City/ Tokyo.

Did it once before, ciggies are worse imo.

Hookah is just as bad as smoking.....

well depends on what type it is, since there are over a hundread known types....

Still I think it is something wrong to do....

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

I'm surprised so many people know about Hookahs, my father is the only one in the family that smokes it (he grew up in lebanon and hookahs are very popular over there).

From what a friend of mine told me, one hookah session equals 10 cigs but since you smoke it less often than cigarettes it's not as harmful.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers

Originally posted by J-P
    I'm surprised so many people know about Hookahs, my father is the only one in the family that smokes it (he grew up in lebanon and hookahs are very popular over there).

From what a friend of mine told me, one hookah session equals 10 cigs but since you smoke it less often than cigarettes it's not as harmful.
    I don't think that's right, but I also put about 20x as much tobacco on a hookah as in a cigarrette (Note: I don't smoke cig's)

I haven't ever tried it, but I am interested in trying it.

Could i get a buzz off of it? Does it relax you? Or is it just a flavored inhalent with no negative, or possitive side affects?

Originally posted by mikeylove
    I haven't ever tried it, but I am interested in trying it.

Could i get a buzz off of it? Does it relax you? Or is it just a flavored inhalent with no negative, or possitive side affects?
    If you don't smoke you could get a buzz off of it. I say it relaxes you but much of the relaxing effects of cigarettes come from you thinking that they will relax you. It's a flavored inhalent with some negative side effects, but not to the level that smoking cigarettes (addictively) has. If you smoke hooka once every couple of months I wouldn't expect to have any major health problems from it.
    Mike from Zoodia.com

I don't smoke cigarettes. I smoked pot many years ago. I do drink fairly often though.

I'll keep an eye out for some places around michigan that offer this stuff. Is it possible to smoke it without the big bong-type thing? Could i maybe get a whole bunch of the stuff, put it in a cooking pot, take it out into my tent, close all the zippers, cook it up, and have a clam-bake type thing going?

A hookah is essentially a bong ( http://www.hookah-shisha.com/generic14.html ) but you don't have to light it and pull, rather you put coals on the bowl and it has a constant flame, but doesn't let smoke waste. I'm not sure if it's the kind of thing you can hot box with. You can get a buz off of it, but it's not a comparable high to marajuana even if you smoke a lot. However, if you smoke after drinking heavily it can hit you pretty hard

Me and a friend built one. We use it quite a bit, it's a great party favor when people are over. Nothing like cigarettes, tastes great (apple is our flavor of choice), and being as how we built it, cheap! (and from my experience, better than the ones at a local hookah bar)
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

I read the first several posts thinking a Hookah bar was a hooker bar spelled differently

Originally posted by mikeylove
    I don't smoke cigarettes. I smoked pot many years ago. I do drink fairly often though.

I'll keep an eye out for some places around michigan that offer this stuff. Is it possible to smoke it without the big bong-type thing? Could i maybe get a whole bunch of the stuff, put it in a cooking pot, take it out into my tent, close all the zippers, cook it up, and have a clam-bake type thing going?
    Addressing your previous post... A good hookah with 2 or three friends is roughly the equivalent of a joint or two or a bong/blunt. I assume you have some recollection of many years ago. It's very relaxing (euphoric) following certain activities (marijuana), but also relaxing and somewhat euphoric by itself. I've gone on camping trips with the Order of the Arrow (A selected group of active/good/older scouts [I'm an eagle scout]) and a few of us (3 eagles) build a rather large fire from hardwood, wait until it gets to coals, and the youngins go to bed, and then put on some hookah, and breathe it in. We also usually add frankincence, and dried apples/peaches/strawberries. We enjoy it a lot, and it also is very nice after a long day doing a service project.

Originally posted by Chris Armstrong
    I read the first several posts thinking a Hookah bar was a hooker bar spelled differently
    Mike from Zoodia.com

Originally posted by Cserver
    Addressing your previous post... A good hookah with 2 or three friends is roughly the equivalent of a joint or two or a bong/blunt. I assume you have some recollection of many years ago. It's very relaxing (euphoric) following certain activities (marijuana), but also relaxing and somewhat euphoric by itself. I've gone on camping trips with the Order of the Arrow (A selected group of active/good/older scouts [I'm an eagle scout]) and a few of us (3 eagles) build a rather large fire from hardwood, wait until it gets to coals, and the youngins go to bed, and then put on some hookah, and breathe it in. We also usually add frankincence, and dried apples/peaches/strawberries. We enjoy it a lot, and it also is very nice after a long day doing a service project.
    I notice you keep referring to the tobacco as "hookah". Hookah is the actual device you use, also called a Nargileh/Nargila. The tobacco is called "Shisha".
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

I know, but I'm used to saying it wrong, and see no reason to change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast