Best Method of backing up?

Just thinking about the future here, so bear with me

Say I have 2x servers, both with 200gb of data, would it be best to have an extra drive in each server to back the data on, or have a spare server and back the data up to that?

A spare server's always better, perhaps you could build a v. v. cheap one at home with 2 x 200gb HDDs and backup onto that once a week.
    Ampinet.co.uk - UK Webhosting - Coming Soon!
    99.99% Uptime Guarentee | Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 24/7 Support

Oh right I see, make a tidy spec one and colocate it?

You could co-locate somewhere if you wanted, or just get a really low spec server with a lot of bandwidth and 2 huge HDDs.
    Ampinet.co.uk - UK Webhosting - Coming Soon!
    99.99% Uptime Guarentee | Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 24/7 Support

We have an extra HD in each of our servers, and we back up the main HDs to those nightly.

Rsync backup is very good solution for backup. You can setup incremental backup which will take separate backups at different intervals.

Rsync does not overload server as it takes backup of data which has changed and you can setup multiple options like hourly, daily, weekly and monthly backup with rsync. Rsync backup is transferred in secure chanel to the remote server and chances of loosing data are very less.

smoove, what I would do is have a low end configuration with high bandwidth and large diskspace server colocate it .. additionally buy a remote backup plan (there is a list of companies providing remote backup solutions)

Thanks alot.
    Would a 1ghz server and 256mb of ram be enough as a backup server?

Backups will only be made once a week.

Originally posted by AmpCoder
    We have an extra HD in each of our servers, and we back up the main HDs to those nightly.
    Not gonna help you much if there is a major hardware problem which destroys both disks. Or maybe a fire or other disaster at the DC. Offsite backups are the way to go really.
    Steve

Originally posted by smoove.
    Thanks alot.
    Would a 1ghz server and 256mb of ram be enough as a backup server?

Backups will only be made once a week.
    That would be fine for a backup server.

I'd suggest investigating snapshot style backups so that you do not waste bandwidth and disk space by trying to backup the entire hard drive each week (unless that is what you're aiming for).
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH