providers with ip/bgp anycast?

i've already googled the keywords and everything i find is documentation & implementation instead of real providers who charge $$ to make it work

thanks

What are you hoping to achieve via anycasting? 99.999% of all networks don't need an anycasted service. Anycast is typically used to provide a critical service across a geographically diverse topology (or in highly experimental projects).

A lot of providers (at least the ones specializing in managed solutions) can offer both IPv4 and IPv6 anycast if you call and ask. There isn't a lot of demand for it at the moment, but we expect that to grow

Regards,
    Sam
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

Ok, I'll bite What's marketable about anycast? Innocent question.

It's a challenging technology requiring quite a bit of clue to implement and maintain. While there are some boutique implementations of anycast out there, most uses seem to be for DNS purposes (particularly, of course, largescale DNS operations like TLD and root zone server operators). I guess I don't understand why it would be useful to most networks. Any cluesticks appreciated.

Geo load balancing and high availability content distribution
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

We have a customer who is utilizing CacheFly (www.cachefly.com) for distribution of their rich media web content. Very affordably priced, and the service works great too.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Are you looking for a company that has multiple locations and would completely furnish the anycast solution or do you already have your own ASN and are looking to add an anycast node?

i use it for DNS

no, i don't have ASN yet, looking for some providers for it, hopefully the anycast provider will be seperate from server providers, for scalability

i don't like a bundled solution, i look for some professional company specifically providing anycast

thanks

lwknet,

Are you aware of how expensive that is going to be?

Originally posted by IRCCo Jeff
    lwknet,

Are you aware of how expensive that is going to be?
    no, would you mind to share some info?

anycast is not a must for me, but would definitely enhance my app

If you want a provider to deploy anycast at multiple locations that are not on their own network, it would require them to purchase rackspace and bandwidth in each of those locations, along with individual routers, etc.

The cost could easily reach into four figures.

so who would be the one to do it, bandwidth provider, dc, or something else?

i've seen some root-servers use anycast to deploy servers all around the world in one single IP

anything under 4 figure for such deployment is reasonable

thanks

IP Anycast Services

Are you looking to colo servers for use with anycast, or have the provider provide dedicated servers for you?

Many providers with their own networks in multiple locations can do this for you -- costs will vary between providers, though, obviously.

Thanks,
    Russell
    Sitelutions: www.sitelutions.com -- Reliable Hosting, Low-Cost Domains, Dynamic DNS
    InfoRelay Online Systems, Inc.: www.inforelay.com
    Bulk Bandwidth Pricing, Unmetered Servers, Unbelievable Affordability -- Locations in: Ashburn, Los Angeles, Chicago, Reston, San Jose, Dallas, New York, Washington, DC.

Originally posted by lwknet
    so who would be the one to do it, bandwidth provider, dc, or something else?

i've seen some root-servers use anycast to deploy servers all around the world in one single IP

anything under 4 figure for such deployment is reasonable

thanks
    Under four figures for what you asked for is probably not going to cut it, I would not be able to give you any reccomendations.

On the other hand, if you were wanting a single provider with multiple locations to perform this for you it may be possible.

I know this is very old thread...did anyone ever find a provider that has multiple locations to provide an anycast service?

I am very interested in an anycast/geographically diverse network where I can run my own servers (colo or dedicated) since I am wanting to run a unique application that will not run on a standard CDN.

Any carrier will do this with their own address space; the IGP figures everything out.

If your requirement is for something multihomed, good luck. That's a difficult proposition, in that said multihomed provider needs multiple locations and multiple transits in each one. Most companies who fit this description (HE is one that comes to mind) use bottom-of-the-barrel transit (like HE), or don't have the clue required to run an AS, let alone an anycast-capable infrastructure (like HE). That being said, I'll bet ServerCentral will do what you're looking for; they have POPs all over the place.

Now selling BigVPS's!
    Jacksonville Colocation and dedicated servers by colo4jax
    We are *not* a reseller. We own our servers, switches, routers and racks.

Server Central vs. HE

We just signed up with HE and we're running Anycast over HE's network now. They have great customer service and they peer with enough Tier1's/2's to get decent transit, but they have GREAT transit for the price. They cost us about 5x less than Server Central, and we stopped using our SVC POP a few months ago b/c they won't fix a routing problem with one of their peers.
    Last edited by sirius; 06-26-2006 at 03:49 PM.