vps's and inode/file limit issues..........

vps's and inode/file limit issues..........anyone else run into ceilings with vps's and inode limits?

servint sets it to 1mil per acct level. which may seem high, unless you have a very large database or number of sites, etc.

others, i have emailed seem to set it even lower, which leaves me to ask, why the heck go with a vps at all? just go reseller, or some have semi-ded resellers. you get to use the whole servers limits, and not just a VERY limited amount.

am i missing something here? i thought that the vps i got at servint would last me awhile, but have to get something else as i want to leave room for growth of db's and the associated inodes issue.

i dont want to mess with a dedicated server at this time as very few "fully managed." seems only rackspace or liquidweb.......

thanks

i also don't understand why so often providers does not provide information of such limitations in their plan proposals
    Razom nas bagato!

Hi!
    The number of Inodes can affect reboot times..and...worse yet...if the system crashes...it could take hours for the system to recover and come back online. I think a VPS is only a temporary fix for many of us anyways...we will eventually have dedicated servers.

I think for what I'm doing I'll aways have several VPS's...due to the ability to remake them and start over from scratch very easily.

Bryon

Its always ask worthign the provide if they will increase it as most set it at a ballpark figure that will keep most people happy. IF its not high enough it can be pushed higher simply enough

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Hi!
    That actaully worked for me. Two hosts...two very high used vs available inode amounts..both raised them for me.

I was seriously concerned about one...the system resource usage was 58% before I put one file on it? They fixed it.

Bryon