Dual monitor set-up?

I have a XFX GeForce FX 5600 256mb video card, and I am looking into a second 17" monitor (CRT) .. I have $75 at Bestbuy so that would go towards it. I'm curious if it is possible to run two monitors, watch internet explorer (mlb.tv) on one monitor while playing a game on the other? Or, say, surf message boards / internet while playing a game or even watching mlb.tv on the other? Can I specific which window will go to what monitor? Thanks in advance. Just trying to do my research before buying the monitor.

Yes to all, though decoding video while gaming will degrade performance.

It really depends on your computer and the game you are proposing to play while doing any of the above. If it's any of the new games, like HL2, Doom3, FarCry, and the like, you're barely going to be able to play them while, at the same time, doing something else, especially with that video card.

How much RAM do you have and what's your CPU?

/me has a dual output radeon 7000 and a dual output 9600.
    Both run flawless even while gaming, even with the additional work they're doing.

There are also applications out there that will instantly disable your 2nd monitor using hotkeys - not that I use/need them but just mentioning it!

It's a great setup for multitasking: get it. I don't know how anyone lives with just a single monitor. I'm getting a 3rd/4th shortly!
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Your game will go to your primary monitor without some tweaking, for other full screen utilities that aren't so narrowly coded you put them on the monitor you want and full screen =)

if you are playing a game on one screen.. and browsing on the other.. and you click on the browsing monitor.. your game minimizes..

I have 640mb or so ram right now, going to get another 512 stick, so will be 1gb ram + 3.0ghz 800fsb cpu

Would it be easy to set up the dual monitors?
    I also have two monitors that seemingly "went out" - would it be possible to just take them in to get them examined if they were fixable? Anything I can do to see if it's just a plug or something? (wishful thinking)

The dual monitors are extremely easy to set up.. just plug them into your video card, and if you're running Windows XP right-click the desktop, go to properties and settings. You can configure your setup and activate the second display there.

Check your video card output.. it may have two VGA ports, or one VGA port and one port for LCD monitors. If so you need to get a very cheap adapter so you can plug your CRT monitor into the adapter which connects to your computer. Good luck!

Regarding getting your CRTs fixed, don't bother. It's going to cost more to get them fixed than it would to get a cheap -- but good -- one on eBay.

My video card has one DVI and one VGA input... what that support dual monitors?

Originally posted by -T{H}R-
    My video card has one DVI and one VGA input... what that support dual monitors?
    It would support one digital flat panel monitor and one regular VGA-compatible monitor. I'm not sure if there are DVI-VGA adapters; there probably are, and I'm sure other WHTers are more knowledgeable about this than am I.

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    It would support one digital flat panel monitor and one regular VGA-compatible monitor. I'm not sure if there are DVI-VGA adapters; there probably are, and I'm sure other WHTers are more knowledgeable about this than am I.
    Indeed there is... Im running dual dell 17in lcd's vga, with a vga to dvi adapter.

Originally posted by case
    Indeed there is... Im running dual dell 17in lcd's vga, with a vga to dvi adapter.
    -T{H}R-, there's your answer. Thanks, case.

Aah, cool.

My current 19" LCD doesn't work when I try using the VGA input instead of the DVI - it doesn't detect it. Does this mean if I buy a second the second won't work?

It's probably because you don't have the VGA port enabled. They are usually two separate ports, so Windows would show them separately. Right click on desktop, go to properties, then click on settings tab. From there select the second monitor port and then click the checkbox for extend my desktop onto this display.

I currently use four monitors using (2) dual DVI output PCI-e XfX Geforce 6600 GT's without any problems in Linux or Windows. Link to pictures is on my blog.
    Jeremy Johnstone
    Personal Blog: http://www.jeremyjohnstone.com/blog

To second that. I'm running a Radeon 9200 with two video outs - one of which has a DVI-VGA adapter. It cost me about $10 at the local computer store. The result is just fine.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Ive never really understood how two monitors would work. Is it two completely different screens or does one continue into the other?

Yes, the desktop just continues onto the other monitor. Instead of it all being on one monitor, imagine it being stretched out and covering two monitors now.
    Jeremy Johnstone

Hmmm, I don't think i would like that too much. I would rather just one huge screen like the one at Alienware thats 30'

The bigger monitors don't let you usually have much higher resolution. With a 30" monitor for example, usually the max resolution is something like 1280x1024. So although you have a bigger monitor, your icons went from say 1/2 to 2 inch in size. Basically it makes it easier for people with poor eyesight, but doesn't do anything for people who want more stuff on the screen at once. On the other hand, adding a couple more monitors gives you a linear increase in actual screenspace, it just has the negative side effect of having a line down the middle. You can always find monitor (albeit expensive) which don't have this limitation (for example do a google search for "grand canyon" monitor)
    Jeremy Johnstone

Yeah thats why i dont think it would be cool because you would have a line between the two monitors. But if I ever bought anothe monitor i would probably do that

Honestly, after a while you forget about the middle 'line' between the two monitors.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

The "line" doesn't really hinder your workflow; plus if you are lucky and have a couple lcds with the thin bezels then it is even easier.

Regarding getting your CRTs fixed, don't bother. It's going to cost more to get them fixed than it would to get a cheap -- but good -- one on eBay.
    Monitor on eBay?
    I was going to get one at Best Buy or Tiger Direct (local)

I do have the VGA-DVI adapter, came with my gfx card.