Thread: OS Question

Unhappy OS Question

Hello,

Currently my VPS is on Fedora Core 1 or 2 (soz i don't remember) with CPanel/WHM. I am going on a dedicated shortly. But the new company says that they can provide better support if i go for FreeBSD or CentOS.

So my question is if i shift from Fedora to FreeBSD or CentOS am i going to face any problems or all will be fine ?

Thanks.

Fedora Core , CentOS and Rad Hat are very similar and close to one another, in fact both Fedora Core and CentOS are Red Hat's offsprings (in my opinion ) , so
    If you go with CentOS you won't have much problems, in fact if you are okay with FC you won't feel a big difference (probably no difference at all).
    FreeBSD on the other hand is more closer to the origin of all - all dear and beloved Unix, so if you switch to FreeBSD there would be a difference for sure.
    Being a BSD fan I would recommend you FreeBSD, but WHM / Cpanel work best on Red Hat Enterprise / Cent OS / FC (in this order)
    Those are the OSes that the Cpanel guys recommend.

not, if you not use any OS specific application (like a C++ binary and etc.) even if you use some binaries, it will not very hard recompile it from source on new system.
    regarding OS selection, if you work early only on Linux will be best if you choose Centos, because it's based on Redhat ES.
    Rustelekom LLC Dedicated server since 2002, RIPE NCC member, LIR, AS51168