Should I take this server (P4 1GB 100$) fully managed but not configurable

I was searching for a fully managed server (inkl. all security update & monitoring) and found an offer from a big firm in europe for a P4 2,6 - 1 GB RAM - Backup System for 100$ monthly with 100$ setup fee from 1und1.com and 12 month contract.

The only - and biggest - problem is, that you can not manage it by yourself. Even if you talk to your hoster to change a mysql - variable, he will not do it. The other problem is the 12 month contract.

I am planing to use this server for a community with vBulletin and about 100-200 members online. I think, this server can manage it, right Hopefully it's configured right.

Do you know any other 100% managed server company that's well known? I just know Rack Space. From theplanet.com what I have heard they do not do security monitoring and security updates *on their own*, I have to submit tickets everytime I want to have this done (which is stupid, because I do not want to care about these issues). What do you think? I am planing to buy it monday
    Last edited by JarckYold; 07-23-2005 at 12:51 PM.

It doesn't quite fit the category "managed" if the hosting company refuses to do what you need.
    Synergy Blue LLC
    SonataWeb.net | SynergyBlue.com
    USA should so something about: http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

Originally posted by VapoRub
    It doesn't quite fit the category "managed" if the hosting company refuses to do what you need.
    I just want a secured server, and this offer is the only one in the price region from a big company, that can give me a secure server.

you can always get an unmanged server for a low price
    then turn and hire and admin to secure/harden yourbox for your for a low price as well,

Originally posted by OCXBIOS
    you can always get an unmanged server for a low price
    then turn and hire and admin to secure/harden yourbox for your for a low price as well,
    I want a computer system, that does not hang for a few hours. The only companys that can do that are as far as I have seen in this forum here theplanet.com and rackspace. Rackspace is starting at 400$ and servermatrix is starting from 129$ for an equal system and comes with no support (their silver support is senseless until it does not include server security monitoring and installing updates without ticketing them). There are companys that sell computer cheaper (layeredtech), but uptime is not 99.99 % guaranteed.

If I want to have service, nearly all good service companys want an administration software included, so I have to buy cpanel, plesk or something the service company wants. That's 15 $ to 50$, depends if the server companys have a contract with the software companys. Plus I have to pay for service, which makes 30$ to 70 $. So I have to add much money (cpanel + service from fastservermanagement.com= 20 + 30, plesk + other acunett.com = 15 + 70).

If I can get a solution for an equal system from a very good datacenter inclusive extern server management for around 100$, tell me!

your not going to get a server and have it fully managed and babysat for 100$ a month, not tring to sound mean or rude, but you need to up your budget.

of coarse you could aways learn and managed the box your self
    if you have the will to do so,

I have heard of folks that have "Platinum" level service from thePlanet having to wait for support.. I don't know if thats the norm or just one unlucky customer..

Rackspace charges a fair amount but you do get what you pay for.

You could also compromise and get a semi managed server and hire a 3rd party company to secure and monitor it for you.

your not going to get a server and have it fully managed and babysat for 100$ a month, not tring to sound mean or rude, but you need to up your budget.

of coarse you could aways learn and managed the box your self
    if you have the will to do so,
    yeah, that's exactly what I wanted to say: In this price region (below 200$) there is no alternative for a secure server that's always online. Maybe this server is running slow because I cannot change variables in apache or mysql, but it's secured 100% (or at best: I am not responsible if anyone hacks my server and installs a movie download paradies there ). And I think I can manage to get a server secure, but I am never checking everyday for security issues or updates, and I would be legally responsible for the server.

I have heard of folks that have "Platinum" level service from thePlanet having to wait for support.. I don't know if thats the norm or just one unlucky customer..

Rackspace charges a fair amount but you do get what you pay for.

You could also compromise and get a semi managed server and hire a 3rd party company to secure and monitor it for you.
    From planet.com I heard, that I have to ticket them to get a security update which is a joke because I do not have the time to look everyday on any security update that's coming up. Rackspace charges up from 400$. Which company with good datacenter would you suggest and which service team? It's getting costly here, because I have also buy a server software (cpanel ...).

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    For $100 per month budget?
    Or just tell me that this offer I am going to take monday is not good. I am considering to buy and want good advices which I am getting mostly here on wht.com I think In my eyes, this offer is unbeatable. The problem in this offer is, that I am not allowed to change any variable in the system.

To be more specific.
    I am looking for a system where others care 100% about security. I do not want to be legally responsible if my system is getting a warez download center overnight.

If the system is secure or not, that's not the question.

@ JarckYold

You will never get a secured server for 100$/month.
    This is guaranteed.
    And if you like to belive that you will get that in Europe,is like looking for a new BMW at 5000 Euro.At that price you will get a Fiesta with bmw stickers on the hood.
    You can get a secured system,but not at 100$.
    At a fair price,you can sleep well, knowing that no warez nightmare will hit you.And more,for the same fair price + the regular 20% -30%up ,you can get the same in Europe
    Last edited by Webfactor; 07-23-2005 at 02:01 PM.

Originally posted by Webfactor
    @ JarckYold

You will never get a secured server for 100$/month.
    This is guaranteed.
    And if you like to belive that you will get that in Europe,is like looking for a new BMW at 5000 Euro.At that price you will get a Fiesta with bmw stickers on the hood.
    You can get a secured system,but not at 100$.
    At a fair price,you can sleep well, knowing that no warez nightmare will hit you.And more,for the same fair price + the regular 20% -30%up ,you can get the same in Europe
    It doesn't matter if a hacker comes into my system. I am doing daily backups and even if I lost all my data I can live with it. With what can I not live with? If a hacker comes into my system and I am responsible for it. That means the possibility of jail and paying x10.000 of $$$.

With my last posting I wanted to say that I just want an official contract with a company of 100% service for security. If the service company sucks 100% it doesn't bother me. It's a legal issue.

A system that you're not allowed to make changes or updates to is not secure. Or at least it won't be secure in a week.

I think you should seriously reconsider what you want out of the hosting company. They won't change any settings on the machine at your request? Sounds like you're getting screwed to me. You want a machine with a security guarantee, but what you're getting here is a "sold as is, no guarantees" deal.

I've got a machine with LayeredTech and love it. They don't have an uptime guarantee that I know of, but I haven't had any down time at all in the time I've had it. Probably not for you though, unless you're willing to pay to have someone else administer it for you.

Definitely look elsewhere. Last I heard, 1and1 didn't have the hottest rep around.

I have never seen anyone go to jail or pay a fine if there server was hacked. You have been watching too much T.V.

The most that would happen is your machine would be unplugged. Whether you get 100% security or not the machine will still be unplugged..

In my country (germany) I am responsible for what's going on my server. I have to check security. If I check and someone breaks in, I am not responsible. But if I do not check and someone breaks in, I am responsible (sounds logical!) I can also hire another company to do all the checks. I definitely have to pay if I am in civil law court and are sentenced to pay money. Once more: Security doesn't concern me, It's just the question who's responsible.

For the 100$ fee I get 0% support and am 100% secure of being responsible for security issues Other countries, other rules
    Last edited by JarckYold; 07-23-2005 at 04:15 PM.

If you rent the server from a US company wouldn't the laws of the US govern in this case?

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    If you rent the server from a US company wouldn't the laws of the US govern in this case?
    Maybe. So I have to take care of security anyway. As I can not take care of, I have to find someone who does. And this is the 100$ offer. I am asking myself If I should buy that.

Originally posted by JarckYold
    Maybe. So I have to take care of security anyway. As I can not take care of, I have to find someone who does. And this is the 100$ offer. I am asking myself If I should buy that.
    Get a cPanel/Plesk/DirectAdmin 2 from PowerVPS. it's not as 'powerful' (so to speak) as a dedicated server, but as you state, security is important. While we were with PowerVPS they fixed security problems and let us know about it.

Your not going to get a fully managed dedicated server that you will be happy with for $100/month, but if you are more intent on staying at $100 a month budget than having a fully managed dedicated server, go VPS.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs