Thread: Reverse DNS

Reverse DNS

Hi ALL,

I have a dedicated server so do i need setup reverse dns for my dedicated server or it will be automatically setup by my host.

If i have to setup by myself how i can do that?

I have to setup reverse dns on domain that i am hosting on that server or i also need to put reverse dns for my dedicated server?

Please help me.

You will need to ask your provider. They will do it with their upstream

How many IPs do you have? If it is a lot maybe a class c, ask your provider to delegate the IPs to you, you can then do the reverse DNS yourself. If not you need to ask your provider to reverse them for you.

Some companies do this automatically, check if your IPs are already reverse using http://www.dnsstuff.com/

i have 4 ips for my server.Is there any way i can do reverse dns by myself or i have to ask my host to do this?

For 4 IPs your host needs to do it for you.

The minimum delegation size for reverse DNS zones is a Class C (i.e. 24-bit) subnet.

Some hosts allow you to update these yourself via a control panel or similar on their own systems.

Regards,

No you are getting me wrong i have 4 ips means one is dedicated for server other 2 is working as dns and one is free. Can i use that free ip for reverse dns for my server?

Sorry, I'm not with you.

You don't need to allocate an IP address for reverse DNS. Reverse DNS is simply a reverse name mapping for each of your existing IP addresses (i.e. you can have 1 reverse entry for each of your 4 IPs).

Reverse entries allow "nslookup <ip address>" to return the FQDN assigned to that IP.

Regards,

SO means i can't do this by myself. I have to take help of host.??

Originally posted by applepanther
    SO means i can't do this by myself. I have to take help of host.??
    Firstly,
    No matter HOW many IP addresses you have for your server, you must have your DC set this up, unless you maintain control of your IP space, and you own the ip addresses. The only ones authorized to make said change are the individual ip owners, which means that it's got to be done by the DC.

Secondly,
    All you really need to have setup with RDNS is one, that would be the base ip of your system (usually). Here's why:

No matter what application comes out of your system, it'll all be processed through the base ip of your system, unless you've specifically told the application (ie: exim) to bind to another ip address.

The only place that RDNS truly matters is your MTA. Since your MTA sends mail OUT as the base ip , the only IP address you need to have configured with RDNS is your base ip address.

Make sense? Hopefully If not, ask questions
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Just to make the point, though in general yes your host will do reverse DNS for you a smaller than /24 allocation can be delegated. In general its much easier to just have a host do it for you though. Do a google search for "classless subnet reverse delegation" and you will see what I mean.

Also better to have a rdns entry since some mail servers reject IPs that doesn't have one such as AOL.