Why can’t banks say where a security breach has occurred?

Today I got a letter from my bank staying that Visa has informed them that my information was “revealed to unauthorized persons by a company that processes ATM/Credit Cards”. They also replaced the credit card with a new one (new number) and stop the old one from operating.

Out of curiosity, I wanted to know which company or processor has revealed my information to “unauthorized persons.” After calling the number provided on the letter for “more information,” I was informed that they could not reveal who the company is.

Anyone knows why such information can not be released? When big processors get in this trouble, their name is revealed and it is all over the news. Why can’t this be applied to smaller security breaches?

For the mean time, I am contacting all companies who have reoccurring charges on that card to update the information.

In my case, I only wanted to know who was the company that had the security breach. I am sure they know who it is and they confirmed that a security breach has indeed occurred; otherwise, they would not have sent me this information to begin with.

maybe its the whole privacy thing or maybe they dont want to let you know cause they want to take them down from the inside

this is the way big buissness works these days man, theyd rather not tell anyone cause if they can get by you wont hopefully figure it out and stay with that company especially cause if there not adiquitly staffed for security
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.