Which AMD compares to or beats Intel

Celeron 2.4Ghz --- > AMD SEMPRON 2200
    Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz --- > AMD SEMPRON 2300
    Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz --- > AMD SEMPRON 2800

I think it would be this order, what you say?

You're comparing the P4's to the Sempron's? The Sempron's are supposed to be the equivelent of Celeron's, not the P4's....
    I wish all my traffic went through AS174.

Definitely P4 2.8
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Originally posted by SolidJoe
    You're comparing the P4's to the Sempron's? The Sempron's are supposed to be the equivelent of Celeron's, not the P4's....

That is not entirely true, in some case the semprons actually crush comperably priced P4's

The sempron may be a "value" processor but they are extremely fast. The sempron 2xxx -> 3000 are based on the older amd XP core just with less cache and some are actually rebranded xps all together. Performance is great (on some)

Begining with the socket 754 semprons they are "handicapped" amd 64s, we run sempron 3100+ (paris core 800mhz) and these things are insanely fast, price/performance is amazing.

I just built a new PC for my wife, picked up a retail sempron 3100+ for $108, built the entire system for her for under $400 and it's one heck of a box

I found that 2800 Sempron beat P4 2.8 or are equal with them

Originally posted by RajH
    I found that 2800 Sempron beat P4 2.8 or are equal with them
    what core p4 2.8? w/ht or non-ht...

Definately non-HT...

It really depends on what Sempron cores you are referring to. Below 3000 there are both A64, and AXP based chips.

Originally posted by TulipSystems
    That is not entirely true, in some case the semprons actually crush comperably priced P4's

The sempron may be a "value" processor but they are extremely fast. The sempron 2xxx -> 3000 are based on the older amd XP core just with less cache and some are actually rebranded xps all together. Performance is great (on some)

Begining with the socket 754 semprons they are "handicapped" amd 64s, we run sempron 3100+ (paris core 800mhz) and these things are insanely fast, price/performance is amazing.

I just built a new PC for my wife, picked up a retail sempron 3100+ for $108, built the entire system for her for under $400 and it's one heck of a box

I would assume since the OP is posting in the Dedicated Server forum he/she is inquiring about server systems not desktops.

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    I would assume since the OP is posting in the Dedicated Server forum he/she is inquiring about server systems not desktops.
    He didn't inquire about servers, he inquired about CPUs. And last time I checked, they run at the same performance regardless of what kind of case it's in.

That was more towards TulipSystems making a comparison of his wife's desktop system which If his wife is anything like mine she doesn't run databases and websites off her desktop either

Point being of course it may run fast at home but in a work enviroment it won't act the same. So the comparison is a moot point.

here is a chart on AMD cpu and the difference between different core

http://www.c627627.com/AMD/Athlon64/

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    That was more towards TulipSystems making a comparison of his wife's desktop system which If his wife is anything like mine she doesn't run databases and websites off her desktop either

Point being of course it may run fast at home but in a work enviroment it won't act the same. So the comparison is a moot point.

We use systems of the exact same specs for our low end boxes (semprons) and I'll tell you they perform extremely well in that application as well. Since the OP wasn't specifically asking about their perf in any specific situation I just gave one example, if anyone would like to see some benchmarks of a sempron 3100+ give me what you'd like run on one and I'll have a box put up for benchmarking.

I have to agree with Ryan, we do often use the seti@home client to benchmark CPUs and we've found amazing results on AMD boxes.

We recently set up a small sempron 2600 as a development server in our LAN and it performed better than the Celeron 2.4 that we were using (this development server is used to test VoIP applications).
    Fabio A. Calderon
    C.E.O.
    SEATi