Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yes, their support replies could have been a touch more verbose. This might have given the customer the impression they were paying more attention to his problem. But the fact of the matter is that they are not responsible for his site coding. They provide him with web hosting. So flaming them in a public forum for something they aren't even accountable for is inappropriate.

To be frank, I didn't find the OP's support tickets particularly offensive. He wasn't rude and didn't use profanity. He just sounded like someone who was was frustrated.

Originally posted by jcthomp
    Yes, ex-customers should be a priority, to an extent.

Ex-customers have friends, who may some day need web hosting. If you make your ex-customers mad, they tell their friends about their experience, and they lost maybe 5 more potential clients...

Or your upset ex-customers go into forums (such as this one) and post about their experience, and someone stumbles across it, and they think "Wow, this is how support replies? Maybe I should look at a different company."
    You're kidding, right?

It's already a stretch to have to extend support for site coding, which is not part of the host's responsibilities. But now you're suggesting that the host should have gone the extra mile for an ex-customer?

To be fair, though, nowhere in the opening post did it state that the host actually knew that the customer was on his way out the door.

Bottom line: We all try to do our best to accommodate our customers. Heck, I've gone above and beyond many times to help a valued customer. But in the end, the customer has no business posting a flame thread in a public forum about a host who didn't agree to help him with non-hosting issues. Totally inappropriate.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

If every host have to worry about the unreasonable demands of ex clients' friends , relatives , pets and what not and accomodate everything the ex client wants. I think each hosting plan should be in the range of hundreds per month.

Each hoster's resources are limited, it would be perfect if they can help of course, to get some goodwill. But overstretching yourself to please unreasonable demands would be penalising your existing clients. They paid for the hoster's services, not for the hoster to support ex clients and stuff.

They can rephrase their answers in a much better way of course. IMHO, that guy's pretty rude, even if you are frustrated, there is no reason for you to vent your frustrations on others.

Originally posted by David
    You wouldn't take a moment and hop into an os commerce config. on behalf of a client?

This industry is service.
    Do some.
    If I was purchasing web hosting through another company I would simply expect them to be my web host. Not web designers/developers.
    Its common sense now-a-days. You buy hosting from a hosting company, I wouldn't expect more then hosting.

While of course I wouldn't mind popping into OS Commerce to do a simple config issue, I know a lot of hosts out there won't. Therefore Registerfly is not at fault here. They sold the customer web hosting and not web design/development. Therefore they are not responsible for it. At the same time, registerfly is a big company and I would not expect the same personal support I'd get if I was to go with another company. Thing is, you don't go buying an Oil Change at a car dealer and expect them to replace your brakes.

Mind you, most of these thoughts are on the basis I did not work for a hosting company.

Originally posted by vito
    Yes, their support replies could have been a touch more verbose. This might have given the customer the impression they were paying more attention to his problem. But the fact of the matter is that they are not responsible for his site coding. They provide him with web hosting. So flaming them in a public forum for something they aren't even accountable for is inappropriate.

To be frank, I didn't find the OP's support tickets particularly offensive. He wasn't rude and didn't use profanity. He just sounded like someone who was was frustrated.

You're kidding, right?

It's already a stretch to have to extend support for site coding, which is not part of the host's responsibilities. But now you're suggesting that the host should have gone the extra mile for an ex-customer?

To be fair, though, nowhere in the opening post did it state that the host actually knew that the customer was on his way out the door.

Bottom line: We all try to do our best to accommodate our customers. Heck, I've gone above and beyond many times to help a valued customer. But in the end, the customer has no business posting a flame thread in a public forum about a host who didn't agree to help him with non-hosting issues. Totally inappropriate.

Vito
    Very much so agree. Now-a-days you have to expect what you buy. Not expect to get more then what you've bought. Who goes to a car dealership and buys a 3.1 engine and expects a 3.4?

another analogy i read a couple days ago was "You don't go into a car parking lot and buy a standard and then expect them to teach you how to drive it".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12