* An absolute horror to work with!! must read!!

I've said this before, but AVOID REGISTERFLY.COM AT ALL COSTS. I need to access my database in order to move to Hostgator.com, my new host. thank god my time with those clowns is up. My database was down, so I opened some support tickets. Folks, get a load of the crap I got back:

-Why cant I access my osc3 database? It says theres an error. Make it available immediately

-Hello,

It seems that it might be problem with your coding. Please check the same at your end.

Thank You.

Richard Britting
    Client Support Technician
    1st Level Support

-How do I check this? I don't know how to check coding?? More support please

-Hello,

Please contact your Web Designer he will assist you further in this matter.

Thank You.

Richard Britting
    Client Support Technician
    1st Level Support

-I designed my own website! Now you help me and stop giving me useless answers, or I will never do business here again!

I had to write 3 times before they forwarded it to a department where its being read right now!! Just to show you how incompetant they are. To make matters worse, Plesk is a horrid control panel to work with. Thank god Im done with these people, they've been a nightmare

Hum... This is bad from RegisterFly
    AESERVER UAE Hosting & Domains [www.aeserver.com]
    United Arab Emirates' Premier Webhosting & Domain Name Registrar.
    ae Domain Administration (aeDA.ae) accredited registrar | Register your .ae today!

u got that right! i was steaming with rage!!

Hope it gets resolved soon. Good luck with hostgator.
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

First I would like to preface my post with:

What is an osc3 database?

I've googled and wht-searched with no results.

1. Even though support should be kind at all times, saying

Make it available immediately
    is not going to make your support time any easier.

2. You designed your own website and don't know how to "check the coding"?

3. Adding "more support please" to the end of that ticket is also not going to make them want to help you any faster.

I designed my own website! Now you help me and stop giving me useless answers, or I will never do business here again!
    see the above, that is not going to help you get any support from any company.

5. I'll leave this area here in the event that your "osc3" database turns up to make some sense as there is content that could go here as well.

6. You didn't demo the control panel before you signed up with a hosting company? You can't get upset at them for using plesk, only yourself.

7. All the posts you've made since you joined WHT have been "I hate registerfly, and now i'm going with <insert company here> which is spam IMHO.

I am not with RegisterFly, I never have been except for domain names, and as far as domains go they are top notch. From my personal view it looks like you joined WHT to do nothing more than bash them. All of your problems with them may be very real, and I have no idea if they are or not, I just get sick of seeing new people sign up simply to bash a company.

*edit* I understand support is supposed to be kind no matter what, but they are human, and they will help you a lot more if you are at least as nice as you can be with them. Making demands to them just makes them want to push your ticket to the back. That's human nature even when it shoudn't be.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

First off, talk to a company in a more professional manner. Second, try using correct grammar ; )

I would say that it would be nice if you can talk more politely. Blaming the host for your database error and asking for support for coding? You do not know how to check your codes even though you are a designer?

Are they your designer, programmer or teacher? For a hosting company I don't see anything wrong with their responses. If you need help with coding also, I would suggest you look for a designer cum hosting company.

I am guessing that by OSC3 database that he means it is a MySQL database called OSC3.

As OSC* Is used by default for OS Commerce installs in fantastico.
    I may be wrong but just a thought.

Originally posted by fusioncroc
    I am guessing that by OSC3 database that he means it is a MySQL database called OSC3.

As OSC* Is used by default for OS Commerce installs in fantastico.
    I may be wrong but just a thought.
    That would make a little bit of sense. In that case:

5. You should know the website you are working with and if you are going to use php/mysql you should know how to phrase your support requests a bit better. I'm sure it's in the TOS somewhere that they do not support your applications. You are spouting out a random database name, saying you cannot connect to it, and not giving any details. I would venture to say you would get the same reply from almost any provider.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Re: An absolute horror to work with!! must read!!

Originally posted by Ryanklamot
    -I designed my own website! Now you help me and stop giving me useless answers, or I will never do business here again!
    Ryan,
    I usually agree with most of the registerfly complaints, however this time I have to disagree. If your having issues with your website "coding" then that is your responsibility and your going to be in the same situation when you move to Hostgator. Registerfly isn't responsible for your website coding. Therefore I am sorry to say, but in my opinion this complaint is invalid.

John

Let's see how long before Ryan starts complaining about Hostgator.
    Best of luck to Hostgator cause it looks like they'll need it.

As others have said the attitude you gave to the support techs really would not make them any more eager to assist you.

Mutual respect and professionalism is absolutely key in any business relationship. It all goes both ways.

You say RegisterFly is an "An absolute horror to work with!!", I wonder how they feel about you.
    Last edited by VER-Mo; 07-23-2005 at 10:01 AM.
    Vertivo :: Affordable Web Hosting Packages and Reseller Plans
    We offer affordable and reliable Linux-based Reseller and Shared Hosting Plans. Accepted: All major Credit Cards and PayPal.

Re: An absolute horror to work with!! must read!!

Originally posted by Ryanklamot

-Why cant I access my osc3 database? It says theres an error. Make it available immediately

-Hello,

It seems that it might be problem with your coding. Please check the same at your end.

-How do I check this? I don't know how to check coding?? More support please

-Hello,

Please contact your Web Designer he will assist you further in this matter.

You were rude and unprofessional from the very first message, and only got worse. Even if the problem is the hosts, you get a lot better results being friendly. I don't provide coding support with my service, but will often help out when I am asked politely. I like to help my customers, but expect them to treat me and the staff correctly. good luck with your next host -and to them.

Re: Re: An absolute horror to work with!! must read!!

Originally posted by Dacsoft
    I like to help my customers, but expect them to treat me and the staff correctly.
    That pretty much sums it up right there. Mutual respect is key.

To the OP, I seriously hope you don't expect ANYONE to kiss your *** for ten (or whatever) dollars a month. You're no better than anyone else, whether you're the customer or not.

Being a customer does, and should entitle you to a certain level of service, but it by no means gives you the right to start barking orders at anyone.

Now, as I've never been a RegisterFly customer, I can't comment on their service, and maybe it truely IS horrible, but judging from just the small bit you've posted above, my condolences to your next host.

Respect is a two way street, and if you don't give it.. you won't get it. That's a fact of life, even if you are a customer.

I personally don't see all that much wrong with the OP's requests.
    While there could have been a 'please' in there, beyond that no difference would be made.

The tech. support's responses were relatively short - and why wouldn't they just go ahead and fix it. Whether it was a misconfiguration or software - whats the difference?

Support doesn't have to be so cold.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Technically you were no longer customer since you moved to another host so you would be very low on their priority list.

Also, we only have your side of the story and have no idea if there has been some previous history with you and tech support.

Originally posted by David
    I personally don't see all that much wrong with the OP's requests.
    While there could have been a 'please' in there, beyond that no difference would be made.

The tech. support's responses were relatively short - and why wouldn't they just go ahead and fix it. Whether it was a misconfiguration or software - whats the difference?

Support doesn't have to be so cold.
    Unless the customer has a special arrangement where Registerfly is responsible for the coding, then I doubt it would get done. Most hosts do not offer programming support with their packages and the package being sold is usually web hosting, and not web design/development.

Originally posted by blue27
    Technically you were no longer customer since you moved to another host so you would be very low on their priority list.
    I do not believe such a list is fair. Every customer should be a priority.

Originally posted by jmweb
    Every customer should be a priority.

Correct.
    But not every ex-customer should be.

Correct.
    Heh True, I usually would think, if you demand something, you won't get it as quick, or as good ... doesn't matter if your they're only client.

I knew REGISTERFLY.com more than a year, and their services are really great.

#1 Customers are always right. lol

ex-customer could someday be back to be a customer. Like your
    ex-wife will maybe become your wife.
    [email protected]
    TranWebHost.com - Under Construction

Originally posted by tranwebhost
    #1 Customers are always right. lol
    Not always true. You see this a lot in the web hosting industry, as obvious by forums like this one.

Example: The customer that knows just a little bit about something, but believes he knows it perfectly.
    Last edited by jmweb; 07-23-2005 at 04:50 PM.

Unless the customer has a special arrangement where Registerfly is responsible for the coding, then I doubt it would get done. Most hosts do not offer programming support with their packages and the package being sold is usually web hosting, and not web design/development.
    You wouldn't take a moment and hop into an os commerce config. on behalf of a client?

This industry is service.
    Do some.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

I agree, clients are not always right. I remembered once there was client who wanted quite a big order, 2 managed dedicated servers with all the frills and thrills. Some of his requirements are technically feasible but I foresee a lot of operational issues. He was getting angry when I told him no even when he said he would bear the responsibilities.

I told him no way I can do this job as I am not confident of providing a satisfactory service even if the scope of the job is met. I told him to look for another provider if he really wants it done.

Two months later he came back and thank me. He told me I am right to say he is wrong and he is a customer satisfaction consultant.

Not always true. You see this a lot in the web hosting industry, as obvious by forums like this one.

Example: The customer that knows just a little bit about something, but believes he knows it perfectly.

Correct.
    Yes, ex-customers should be a priority, to an extent.

Ex-customers have friends, who may some day need web hosting. If you make your ex-customers mad, they tell their friends about their experience, and they lost maybe 5 more potential clients...

Or your upset ex-customers go into forums (such as this one) and post about their experience, and someone stumbles across it, and they think "Wow, this is how support replies? Maybe I should look at a different company."

True, many support desks will spit out the same result this one did. But some should take the time to say "Could you elaborate on this" or "What exact steps are you taking" to at least pretend to help trace the issue... - when it becomes obvious it's beyond the TOS (which it may be from the beginning), a polite e-mail with a link to the TOS and (*awesome upsell opportunity for those with the knowledge or friends*) OFFER TO HELP for a fee

See, you CAN still get money out of an "ex-customer"

Yes, their support replies could have been a touch more verbose. This might have given the customer the impression they were paying more attention to his problem. But the fact of the matter is that they are not responsible for his site coding. They provide him with web hosting. So flaming them in a public forum for something they aren't even accountable for is inappropriate.

To be frank, I didn't find the OP's support tickets particularly offensive. He wasn't rude and didn't use profanity. He just sounded like someone who was was frustrated.

Originally posted by jcthomp
    Yes, ex-customers should be a priority, to an extent.

Ex-customers have friends, who may some day need web hosting. If you make your ex-customers mad, they tell their friends about their experience, and they lost maybe 5 more potential clients...

Or your upset ex-customers go into forums (such as this one) and post about their experience, and someone stumbles across it, and they think "Wow, this is how support replies? Maybe I should look at a different company."
    You're kidding, right?

It's already a stretch to have to extend support for site coding, which is not part of the host's responsibilities. But now you're suggesting that the host should have gone the extra mile for an ex-customer?

To be fair, though, nowhere in the opening post did it state that the host actually knew that the customer was on his way out the door.

Bottom line: We all try to do our best to accommodate our customers. Heck, I've gone above and beyond many times to help a valued customer. But in the end, the customer has no business posting a flame thread in a public forum about a host who didn't agree to help him with non-hosting issues. Totally inappropriate.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

If every host have to worry about the unreasonable demands of ex clients' friends , relatives , pets and what not and accomodate everything the ex client wants. I think each hosting plan should be in the range of hundreds per month.

Each hoster's resources are limited, it would be perfect if they can help of course, to get some goodwill. But overstretching yourself to please unreasonable demands would be penalising your existing clients. They paid for the hoster's services, not for the hoster to support ex clients and stuff.

They can rephrase their answers in a much better way of course. IMHO, that guy's pretty rude, even if you are frustrated, there is no reason for you to vent your frustrations on others.

Originally posted by David
    You wouldn't take a moment and hop into an os commerce config. on behalf of a client?

This industry is service.
    Do some.
    If I was purchasing web hosting through another company I would simply expect them to be my web host. Not web designers/developers.
    Its common sense now-a-days. You buy hosting from a hosting company, I wouldn't expect more then hosting.

While of course I wouldn't mind popping into OS Commerce to do a simple config issue, I know a lot of hosts out there won't. Therefore Registerfly is not at fault here. They sold the customer web hosting and not web design/development. Therefore they are not responsible for it. At the same time, registerfly is a big company and I would not expect the same personal support I'd get if I was to go with another company. Thing is, you don't go buying an Oil Change at a car dealer and expect them to replace your brakes.

Mind you, most of these thoughts are on the basis I did not work for a hosting company.

Originally posted by vito
    Yes, their support replies could have been a touch more verbose. This might have given the customer the impression they were paying more attention to his problem. But the fact of the matter is that they are not responsible for his site coding. They provide him with web hosting. So flaming them in a public forum for something they aren't even accountable for is inappropriate.

To be frank, I didn't find the OP's support tickets particularly offensive. He wasn't rude and didn't use profanity. He just sounded like someone who was was frustrated.

You're kidding, right?

It's already a stretch to have to extend support for site coding, which is not part of the host's responsibilities. But now you're suggesting that the host should have gone the extra mile for an ex-customer?

To be fair, though, nowhere in the opening post did it state that the host actually knew that the customer was on his way out the door.

Bottom line: We all try to do our best to accommodate our customers. Heck, I've gone above and beyond many times to help a valued customer. But in the end, the customer has no business posting a flame thread in a public forum about a host who didn't agree to help him with non-hosting issues. Totally inappropriate.

Vito
    Very much so agree. Now-a-days you have to expect what you buy. Not expect to get more then what you've bought. Who goes to a car dealership and buys a 3.1 engine and expects a 3.4?

another analogy i read a couple days ago was "You don't go into a car parking lot and buy a standard and then expect them to teach you how to drive it".