Thread: A few questions

A few questions

Hi,

I have a few questions on dedicated servers. First iv bin reading through old topics and came across "Unmetered servers" Whats this?. I am a clan leader and am currently paying for 2 seprate servers. I am thinking about getting a dedicated server as i will be able to host more games for cheaper price. What do i need to look for or could you recommend some sites (UK). The best place iv found so far is 4u-servers.co.uk they have realy cheap prices and gd servers.

Wings

also i have loads of spare computer parts lying round my house as i work in a computer shop. If i built me self a dedicated server how would i link it up with a big connection?

Re: A few questions

Originally posted by wings567
    Hi,

I have a few questions on dedicated servers. First iv bin reading through old topics and came across "Unmetered servers" Whats this?. I am a clan leader and am currently paying for 2 seprate servers. I am thinking about getting a dedicated server as i will be able to host more games for cheaper price. What do i need to look for or could you recommend some sites (UK). The best place iv found so far is 4u-servers.co.uk they have realy cheap prices and gd servers.

Wings
    Check out the SEARCH option... you'll find a lot of great information that has already covered the info you're looking for.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

hi,

I searched through and found some of my questions but i couldnt find this question.

If i built me self a dedicated server how would i link it up with a big connection?

Also can any1 suggest any cheap, fast, reliable dedicated servers for gaming in the UK

Wings

If you can build your server, you should ask your ISP for connection. no one can answer you this

otherwise, what kind of server are you looking for? Do you need it unmanaged or fully managed? how do you think it's cheap?

i dont no if its managed or not but i think it is and i want the server to be like this 1 http://www.4u-servers.co.uk/site/abo...e=superservers . Thats the best price iv found and the support and servers are very good iv been told. Price range is 100ish and that server is 65/month if i go for a year.

I believe the server is unmanaged at that price. And how many GB of transfer do you get? An unmetered 1mbps line? Or 2mbps line?

i emailed them saying,

Hi you get unlimited Gaming bandwidth, this means an uncapped unmetered
    line. If however you use it for other than gaming purposes we would have
    to quote based on your usage.

Kind regards

Matthew Shillam

graeme barrow wrote:

> how many GB of transfer do you get with a super server? An unmetered
    > 1mbps line? Or 2mbps line?

I would stay away from 'unmetered' connections for gaming. Reason being most all 'unmetered' services are run off inferior bandwidth and for gaming you want the best you can get.

I wouldn't worry about it too much anyway. 2 Years ago the norm was 500gb's of transfer per month max. Now the norm is 1000GB's max. But with the exception of a few games nothing else has changed.

All told our Dedicated clients use on average of 200-300GB's per month so I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.

Besides I always have a hard time buying anything from a company that lists their "Game names" under their real names on the contact form.. It screams of kids running it.

ive got unlimited post limit or actully a post every 90 seconds
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

I would stay away from 'unmetered' connections for gaming. Reason being most all 'unmetered' services are run off inferior bandwidth and for gaming you want the best you can get.
    Well a clan im gd m8s with has a server with them and he said

I couldn't answer that as there isn't a set amount of servers we can run, and we've never tried to run as many servers as we can to see what it can do, but I do know we've run several servers at once, including CS, Flashpoint, BF1942, and SWAT4, all of different player numbers from 16-32 players each.
    So i dont think the bandwidth is bad cause the pings on there servers are low.

Im still looking anyway so can u keep bringing ideas in and some sites in UK.

I cannot comment on the service since I don''t know anything about them. I was speaking more in general terms.

Pings mean nothing. The only thing pings show is how far away you are to the server. It has zero to do with the quality of the bandwidth.

But like I said I do not know about this company. I am merely sharing my observations.

Hope this helps.