Advice wanted on logos/graphics/banners

I'm thinking of hiring someone to create a new logo, and perhaps a few banner adverts at the same time.

As I have never contracted someone to produce graphics work for me before, is there a rough guide as to how much I should expect to pay? (Most likely, I would be looking at someone 18+ with a portfolio)

Regarding the banners, is there a list of common sizes that one should get when getting some produced? Or, does one already know where their advert will appear, and only get the size for the space that they will be using?

Are there radical differences in price for banners which animate (say animated .gif or flash), compared to static images?

And how long is a decent amount of time to give an artist to produce such graphics work. Does one pay half upfront?

Most of the threads that I found from the search were requests, which simply said 'need a logo, got a design in mind already', without much information to them.

Feedback is appreciated,

Lewis
    SaintsServers.com
    Professional UK-based internet services
    including: game servers, web hosting, shoutcast streaming and reseller packages

You can try http://www.crecon.com/banners/banners.cgi, this is a Free Banner creation online site.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 07-22-2005 at 10:40 PM.

This is no spam and I am not related to the following companies but they are really providing an awesome service for an excellent price. Logos: http://thelogocompany.net and for banners: http://bannersmall.com/

I like the look of thelogocompany.net, and their associated portfolio.

Although I see no mention of it on the banner site, I presume that they could incorporate one of your existing logos in to their product.

Thanks for the help so far,

Lewis
    SaintsServers.com

Originally posted by SaintsServers
    I like the look of thelogocompany.net, and their associated portfolio.

Although I see no mention of it on the banner site, I presume that they could incorporate one of your existing logos in to their product.

Thanks for the help so far,

Lewis
    TheLogoCompany has been doing some work for us... very reasonable prices for decent results.

Disclaimer: I am mostly color blind, so I say 'decent' because I don't see things as others do. I think what we've gotten from them looks very nice, but others may or may not agree
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large

Wouldn't that be 468x60?

ask to see a portfolio if your unsure on how much to charge
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Are there any other logo companies at reasonable prices other than The Logo Company?

Thanks
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

Originally posted by TheNetway
    Are there any other logo companies at reasonable prices other than The Logo Company?

Thanks
    Design Graphics has been doing logo's and banners for me for a while. They are more than reasonably priced and the work is excellent!

http://www.DesignGraphics.org

I am not affiliated with them, but through my experience, I wouldn't want to deal with anyone else!
    C-4 Hosting
    http://www.C-4.us
    Est. in 2003 - Treating Every Client Like They Were Our ONLY Client!
    Reliable, Affordable, and Professional Web Hosting

Try logo21.com. They have a great portfolio and great packages.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up ordering from thelogocompany.net, and should be seeing some results fairly soon.

Maybe I can even make the banners from the new logo myself.

Lewis
    SaintsServers.com

Originally posted by SaintsServers
    Thanks for the advice. I ended up ordering from thelogocompany.net, and should be seeing some results fairly soon.

Maybe I can even make the banners from the new logo myself.

Lewis
    Hi Lewis,

Thank you for the logo design order.

I am sure the team will do the very best job possible for you.

Also, thanks to everyone else who said possitive things about the service we offer.

Simon

Bannersmal have a very very good rep and name. For banners i would recomend them.

I can resist everything but temptation - Oscar Wilde
    He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man - Dr. Johnson

Well, just made my purchase for a logo from TheLogoCompany.net. Hopefully the results will be as good as I see in the sample section.

Thanks for the advice.

Have you received your logo yet? If so, how did it turn out? Would you recommend The Logo Company?

Have you received your logo yet? If so, how did it turn out? Would you recommend The Logo Company?
    I am pretty sure everything has turned out well with the orders placed by new clients from this thread.

If not, we do offer a 100% money back guarantee so all the risk is with us anyway

Just drop me a line at [email protected] if you need anymore information.

Simon

Well actually, I sent a e-mail in this morning and have yet to get a response. I'll try e-mailing that e-mail posted above, as I am on a time limit for what I am doing and no communication is hurting me.

Thanks

i use gifworks.com from time to time
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

I just got to see our final proofs from The Logo Company... and I have to say I am very pleased with the results. Now the challenge is building a website to properly compliment this
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs