Thread: Auto-reboot VPS

Auto-reboot VPS

Is there a way to automatically reboot the VPS server when a certain resource limit is reached? I have Virtuozzo VPS.

You might be able to grep /proc/user_beancounters for something and get it to issue a reboot that way from cron. However it depens which resource you want to measure

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Originally posted by vaserv
    You might be able to grep /proc/user_beancounters for something and get it to issue a reboot that way from cron. However it depens which resource you want to measure

Rus
    I want to measure privvmpages since this is the problem. I realize it's best to solve the problem than to do a reboot but it might be the fact that I just simply don't have enough resources. I've already upgraded to a pretty expensive package that gives me 256MB of ram.

So as I understand your advice, the file user_beancounters contains memory usage info? This means I need to make a perl script of some kind that does a grep on this file and issues a shutdown command? I would run this as a cron job?

Thank You

I know H-Sphere gives you an admin panel and allows you to stop and restart your vps to kill the processes if you go over your process limit.
    Jason T. Dickman - Senior Server Tech
    Cloud Based Solutions, VPS, Linux, Windows, Dedicated
    Our Internet - Your Complete Web Hosting Solution