Question Dreamhost server response time

Hi, I am a software development veteran but a web development/web hosting newbie. I'm learning PHP/MySQL as fast as I can and I've taken on a project to suport a friend in a political campaign.

He has some experience with Dreamhost and likes them and wants to use them for our project. After looking at their site, knowledgebase and user comments I'm very impressed.

My concern is that I saw some comments on epinions that leads me to believe that they are growing so fast right now that, even though they can claim great uptime, the customer experience is that pages are served extremely slowly; even to the point of timing out.

Can any of you comment on that? Is this a common issue? Would I be better served by spending a bit more for a different web hosting service?

BTW, I have read a lot here about the slow customer service response and I'm not as concerned about that issue.
    Bob
    The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now.
    - African Proverb

Hmmm... I have some sites with DreamHost, and haven't noticed the problem you mention. OK, I don't have any mission-critical sites with them.
    Only problem I've seen is that on very rare occations their SMTP service has been having brief trouble.
    Their support response time has always been OK for me.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

I've never heard that about DreamHost, and it certainly wasn't the case when I was with them. I had issues with the slow response of the CP, and I had issues with the slow response of support, but I never had any reason to believe the server I was on was oversold.

I have seen plenty of threads here griping about the CP and support response, there were some e-mail issues a year or more back, but I've never seen a complaint about server responsiveness.

Originally posted by drizzle
    Would I be better served by spending a bit more for a different web hosting service?
    I'm always tempted to give the knee-jerk 'yes' answer to that question. While spending more elsewhere may get you better support responsiveness, it appears that's the major tradeoff DreamHost makes for a lower price, not server overloading so I think you'll be just fine there. At least worth a try.
    Last edited by BigBison; 07-22-2005 at 04:58 PM.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

Okay, thanks for the replies.

It sounds like these might have been more or less isolated cases. Fortunately for me, I have the luxury of taking my time setting this up so I don't think the CP or support delays will be anything more than an annoyance that I can deal with.
    Bob
    The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now.
    - African Proverb