Kissing the 4th amendment goodbye....

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

man...thats messed up, i know it doesnt bother the senators cause they know they wont get searched >_<
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

SourceBill of right

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Two and a half years and we'll have a chance for a democrat in office.

Until then we'll have to wait it out.

------

Also, has the patriot act even been enforced yet? It seems like one of those laws that are there but no one actually enforces it.

Depending where you're at. I been to a book store and had them ask me for an ID, when I was paying cash for a book that was very political. I refused to show it and went to Target and got the book.

Originally posted by DanX

------

Also, has the patriot act even been enforced yet? It seems like one of those laws that are there but no one actually enforces it.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Also, has the patriot act even been enforced yet? It seems like one of those laws that are there but no one actually enforces it. [/B]
    The way the patriot act was set-up, you are not going to hear of situations where the FBI is enforcing it, but I would be willing to bet my bottom dollar that its being enforced everyday.

Which Wont happened, thank god.

I can't tell a difference between my pre George Bush days (or pre 9-11 days) and from my life today.

Dems or Republicans, the Patriot act is still going to be there, can't blame everything on Bush. And if nobody has noticed, most of the country is going further and further to the right these days, <sarcasm> good luck getting a Democrat elected in 2008. </sarcasm>

And if the Patriot act had not been put into action, I'm willing to bet plenty of people who meant to do this country wrong would still be out there or would have killed themselves by now in a suicide attack.

Its serving its purpose, and is not being used to deny freedoms to ordinary Americans.

We kissed solid reasoning on issues like this goodbye a long time ago:

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/slipslop.html

Causal Version:
    Form:
    If A happens, then by a gradual series of small steps through B, C,, X, Y, eventually Z will happen, too.
    Z should not happen.
    Therefore, A should not happen, either.

This type is based upon the claim that a controversial type of action will lead inevitably to some admittedly bad type of action. It is the slide from A to Z via the intermediate steps B through Y that is the "slope", and the smallness of each step that makes it "slippery".

This type of argument is by no means invariably fallacious, but the strength of the argument is inversely proportional to the number of steps between A and Z, and directly proportional to the causal strength of the connections between adjacent steps. If there are many intervening steps, and the causal connections between them are weak, or even unknown, then the resulting argument will be very weak, if not downright fallacious.
    Just in case you're wondering:

A = Extension of the Patriot Act
    Z = Amendment to the Constitution doing away with the 4th Amendment.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Originally posted by KimmiKat
    Depending where you're at. I been to a book store and had them ask me for an ID, when I was paying cash for a book that was very political. I refused to show it and went to Target and got the book.
    Did you just try saying "I don't have my ID on me"?

And this is exactly the sort of thing that should not happen when you pay with cash. "Let me see your papers" is not far from "let me see your ID" (when paying with cash). Once it starts where will it stop?

Give them an inch they'll take your freedoms, by protecting you. I loved that scene in Star Wars ep 3 when Padme says something like "so this is how justice dies, with thunderous applause" was old Lucas trying to make a point?
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

I would have said that I don't have an ID on me. If they asked me for my driver license. I would have said I didn't drive to the store.
    Did you ask them why they need an ID when you are paying with cash? I would have threaten to get my lawyer on that to the store owner.

Also, has the patriot act even been enforced yet? It seems like one of those laws that are there but no one actually enforces it. [/B]
    My bank accounts in USA have been closed twice in last 15 months because of this law. Now non-U.S. residents can't open a bank account in USA without a personal visit to the bank.

Thats kinda disgusting to think about!!!!

Have you gotton your accts re-opened?? (I hope......)

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

privacy is not a crime....

Originally posted by The Dude
    Thats kinda disgusting to think about!!!!

Have you gotton your accts re-opened?? (I hope......)
    I opened a brokerage account with E*Trade securities to receive ACH payments (direct deposits). It is not a bank account but it is the only way out with limitations.